Kubota L175 Tranny/Hydraulic Fluid

I had some supertech udt fluid in it and I was wondering if that is alright to use? I put in 5 gallons but it needs more than that and its leaked some overtime, so should I just buy another 5 gal or switch? Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand what you are have going on here, have you drained it or just topping off? From what I saw on a google search, the L175 hydraulic capacity is 23 quarts (5.75 gallons TOTAL). I can't imagine a leak has drained the entire hydraulic system empty. My Kubota (very different model - L3710) specs 10.3 gallons and has a sight glass for checking the level, it takes about 9.5 gallons to get the level right.

An old gear drive like this wouldn’t care and should be fine on just about any universal hydraulic oil for this vintage of machine.

I’m a Kubota UDT fan myself though and if it was mine, that’s what I’d use. $18 a gallon at my dealer.

I’m a Kubota UDT fan myself though and if it was mine, that’s what I’d use. $18 a gallon at my dealer.

Off topic...I also only use Super UDT2 for my hydro fluid from the dealer. It may seem pricey at the dealer (~$100/5 gal) but it's well worth it to not jeopardize the hydro unit. (y) I haven't checked in some time, but I don't think there is a suitable alternative to UDT2 fluid.

Your tractor is so old and you appear to be in a very moderate climate I dont think you will have any trouble with any decent universal hydraulic fluid. If you had an HST I might feel different or if you were in the Dakotas trying to start in sub freezing temps. But your tractor was made I believe before the UDT2 or Super UDT2 specs came out.

I'm not sure I understand what you are have going on here, have you drained it or just topping off? From what I saw on a google search, the L175 hydraulic capacity is 23 quarts (5.75 gallons TOTAL). I can't imagine a leak has drained the entire hydraulic system empty. My Kubota (very different model - L3710) specs 10.3 gallons and has a sight glass for checking the level, it takes about 9.5 gallons to get the level right.
I did drain it and replaced the old fluid with the supertech one I was just wondering if thats alright to use

Off topic...I also only use Super UDT2 for my hydro fluid from the dealer. It may seem pricey at the dealer (~$100/5 gal) but it's well worth it to not jeopardize the hydro unit. (y) I haven't checked in some time, but I don't think there is a suitable alternative to UDT2 fluid.

UDT and UDT2 are supposedly interchangeable. One is mineral and one is synthetic. $18 vs $22 here.

I personally stick with UDT2 if it came with it from the factory though.

Even more OT, I was told by a parts manager that UDT and JD Hygard (sp?) are identical although I haven’t looked as and PDS or SDS’s to confirm. Kubota UDT is brewed by Ashland and carries approvals for just about every tractor manufacturer. Dad and I bought some for his old Japanese Ford.

Traveller Premium Universal fluid is on sale now at Tractor Supply Company for $39.99 a 5 gallon bucket. It is Kubota UDT and UDT2 compatible for $8 a gallon and can substitute for either. It is made by Warren. There are loads of people using it in place of UDT.

Last edited:
The TSC traveller universal would most likely be ok for the OP, but it is not a substitute for UDT2 from what I see on the website. It says "recommended" for Kubota udt among a long list of others. I believe the udt is mineral, udt2 is a blend, and super udt2 is synthetic.

OP, since you already drained and filled with supertech, why not just grab a gallon or 2 more for topping off as long as it meets the specs of your tractor.:cool:

From the TSC site asked and answered by the company rep the TSC fluid is OK to replace UDT and UDT2, but not Super UDT2,

Can this be used for substitute for Kubota udt Can this be used as substitute for Kubota UDT2 hydro oil. I have a 2012 Kubota SVL90-2 skid steer. 2
1answer

Answer this Question
  1. jessicasm
    · 2 months ago

Yes, it can be used for UDT2

Can this fluid be used in place of Kubota UDT or DUT super fluid?
    1answer

Answer this Question
    1. jessicasm
      · 11 months ago

For UDT yes but not for super UDT.

From the TSC site asked and answered by the company rep the TSC fluid is OK to replace UDT and UDT2, but not Super UDT2,

Can this be used for substitute for Kubota udt Can this be used as substitute for Kubota UDT2 hydro oil. I have a 2012 Kubota SVL90-2 skid steer. 2
1answer

Answer this Question
  1. jessicasm
    · 2 months ago

Yes, it can be used for UDT2

Can this fluid be used in place of Kubota UDT or DUT super fluid?
    1answer

Answer this Question
    1. jessicasm
      · 11 months ago

For UDT yes but not for super UDT.

To each his own, but the "recommended for" section does not agree with customer service.

TSC Kubota.jpg

Super UDT is obsolete and has been for a while which tells me they are behind in the times.

Shame on whoever asked that question. Easily a $50k+ machine and they’re wanting to save 5-10% of a monthly payment on said machine by being cheap on her blood.

An old gear drive machine is likely fine. Anything else like a hydrostatic would be a huge no IMO.

Awesome, it is an older tractor so the udt spec probably wasnt even a thing in the 70s but if that supertech fluid works then I will go ahead and keep using it :)

Not sure. I have an early to mid 80’s HST Kubota that calls for UDT as well as name brand substitutes in the manual. I’m sure the formulations have changed though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Here is what the Kubota USA website has to say

Kubota Super UDT2 Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid Information
  • Fully interchangeable with standard UDT and Super UDT fluids
  • Improved transmission performance and protection at high and low operating temperatures

Kubota UDT Fluid
  • Fully interchangeable with Super UDT2 fluids
  • Provides high performance protection even at high operating temperatures
https://www.kubotausa.com/parts/kubota-parts-products/lubricants

So I just got a 2 gal of supertech hyd/trans fluid and put in about 1 gallon that was missing in my kubota. When lifting the hydraulic lever it doesnt squeal as much anymore only until reaching the top/max of its range.... does that mean I need a little more fluid in it or just have it warmed up and test it then?

The squealing at the top is normal. You could move the lever limiting bracket/ stop thing down just a bit to keep the lever from going too high.

Squealing any other time would lead me to look at the lines possibly being plugged or gummed up or the filter needing replaced.

The squealing at the top is normal. You could move the lever limiting bracket/ stop thing down just a bit to keep the lever from going too high.

Squealing any other time would lead me to look at the lines possibly being plugged or gummed up or the filter needing replaced.
Right it was low on fluid before and it would squeak halfway and above when cold and hot, but less when hot. Now when I put in one extra gallon it stopped squealing when cold where it happened the majority of the time. All is good now.

Back