Kubota crane finaldrive oils seems concerning metalish, dealer prescribes wrong oil?

Just did oil change on the motorgearboxes on a 2018 kubota 3ton track crane. I filled it again with the oil he always gets from the dealer.

I said i put on a worklight to see how the old oils comes out, actually this came out pretty concerning to me. If i held a magnet to it it would attract the oil and bend the oil stream. This is after approx 50 hrs.

First i thought i was maybe related to only 1 side which maybe failing but then the other side had this also. Total hours is around 1300.

Looking in the manual it prescribes a sae 90 oil gl5 spec / mil2105c

The oil he got is an relatively small over priced not so great brand 75w90 with the fairytail api gl 3 gl4 gl5, bmw ll04 porsche a40 vw 507 volvo marine zf6, boeing aerospace, nasa saturnus, a1 abrahams, f35 landing gear one size fits all please buy our stuff spec which i never belive in and probably holds no real certification at all See pic.

However its not the oil(brand) to blame but i guess the shop who gives him the wrong spec, even more concerning is is that its an official dealer.

He also got oil a while back and showed it to me, it was atf. I said thats way too thin for this application, he brought it back and got the right(wrong) one. I am not sure why they dont know what oil to supply.

What do you guys think about how this oil looks and would appropriate 90 oil come out like good oil used oil should look like after approx 50hrs, not like this.

Attachments

• 20220422_110636.jpg
    20220422_110636.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20220422-142201_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-142201_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20220422-135850_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-135850_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 67
I will probaly order this for him. 80w90 gl5 spec from castrol for agriculture/commercial axles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-150355_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-150355_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 8
The oil is correct. It's a 90 weight gear oil meeting GL5
Isnt the 75w too thin? i am always a little sceptical about one size fits all oils like they advertise.

I can not see this oil being suitable in a 1.2 4 banger manual gearbox but also agricultural equipment axles.
Also these smaller manufacturers generaly dont hold any real approvals and just advise based on their own specifications.

What elso could be the cause for the extreme amount of wear in both sides of the end reduction gearboxes.

Isnt the 75w too thin? i am always a little sceptical about one size fits all oils like they advertise.

I can not see this oil being suitable in a 1.2 4 banger manual gearbox but also agricultural equipment axles.
Also these smaller manufacturers generaly dont hold any real approvals and just advise based on their own specifications.

What elso could be the cause for the extreme amount of wear in both sides of the end reduction gearboxes.

75w is just the winter rating. Ultimatley, while the manual does refer to a monograde gear oil, it is still in the right 'range' of viscosity and a GL-5 oil which imo is the most important bit.

Stop using it untill the worn part is repaired. That much metal will destroy everything it touches.
Exactly that was what i was thinking as well, the part that i dont get is that how can a relatively low hour crane which is dealer maintained have both final drives basicly worn out.

Because its both sides only things i can imagine is wrong/bad oil or the service intervals where not maintained which i highly doubt.

That crane would go for another 20 years with the oil looking like that. That being said, I would go with your instincts and see if anything changes.

GL-5 is a more durable EP spec due to the extra sulfur (which would destroy yellow metals, that's what GL-3/-4 oil is intended for). I agree that something is wearing fast, but maybe using the tougher oil will slow it down. Certainly isn't going to make it any worse, that's pretty bad already. A UOA on that gear oil would show Fe numbers never seen before!

maybe using the tougher oil will slow it down. Certainly isn't going to make it any worse, that's pretty bad already. A UOA on that gear oil would show Fe numbers never seen before!
Yes exactly, that is what is concering me. Its not my crane but to see this on a 4 year old pretty low hour machine is concerning to me. Especially because it is even on both sides.

If already so much wear has happened i dont see these unit living a long and happy life. Somehow severe metal to metal contact is happening.
Not sure if it has to do with the oil film being to thin or if theres something wrong with the add pack.

GL-5 is a more durable EP spec due to the extra sulfur (which would destroy yellow metals, that's what GL-3/-4 oil is intended for).

This isn't true any more and there's an awful lot of manual transmission oils that also meet GL-5 these days. Fuchs Sintofluid 75w80 for example.

This isn't true any more and there's an awful lot of manual transmission oils that also meet GL-5 these days. Fuchs Sintofluid 75w80 for example.
Offtopic but i see you are also using fuchs gt1 pro c3 5w30. I am also using it in my bmw 325i 2005 but only since 1600 miles. How is it performing in your case?

I am also planning to use 75w80 sintofluid for a peugeot and renault gearboxes oil changes.

Offtopic but i see you are also using fuchs gt1 pro c3 5w30. I am also using it in my bmw 325i 2005 but only since 1600 miles. How is it performing in your case?

I am also planning to use 75w80 sintofluid for a peugeot and renault gearboxes oil changes.

I'm not sure I'm in a good place to advise because I decided to dose it up with Mannol Ceramo Ester :ROFLMAO:

It's got 504/507 approval so should be a good oil. I've been using Fuchs stuff for years without any issues and always at a good price point. Although I think I'm going to try some Mannol stuff next. So far everything I've tried from them has been good and they're very cheap!

Back