Kona 1.6T Oil Recommendations

Just purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona for the wife. Supposed to pick it up either today or tomorrow. I do not know what oil it takes. But here is my deal. Like my 2021 Tucson, it has the "complimentary" maintenance at 7500 mile intervals. For me, and it being a Turbo, not gonna happen. So like my Tucson, I have a professional oil dipstick tube removal kit. At about 3500, I suck the oil out, and replace it. Leaving the filter and the tire rotation for the next oil change, which occurs at 7500 at the dealer. This helps me sleep better at night. My question is what recommendations do we have for an oil that works good for turbo engines, with concern for protection, LSPI issues, etc. ? From what little I have gathered, its possibly using a 5w-30. Is that bitog-approved?

EDIT!!

PENNZOIL Platinum 5W30 or Castrol Edge 5W30 as they meet the A5 spec.

Hyundai/Kia has been kinda goofy on what oils to use in those engines for years. I have the 201 HP 1.6 version in my Elantra.
Hyundai corrected the LSPI issues that plauged the earlier Veloster which used a 1.6T.

Hyundai specifies a 5W30 A5 oil. Only a few 5W30 synthetics are A5.
The Kia 1.6T looks as it if specifies a C2 5W30.

The spark plug replacement interval is at 42K miles in the turbo and it uses an NGK plug no one has a a true after market equivalent.
I spent $80 for plugs at a dealer.
The valve adjustment/inspection interval is 60K miles.
Hyundai throws things at their vehicles to weasel out of a warranty claim compared to other car manufactures at the same price point in my opinion.

Last edited:
Just purchased a 2021 Hyundai Kona for the wife. Supposed to pick it up either today or tomorrow. I do not know what oil it takes. But here is my deal. Like my 2021 Tucson, it has the "complimentary" maintenance at 7500 mile intervals. For me, and it being a Turbo, not gonna happen. So like my Tucson, I have a professional oil dipstick tube removal kit. At about 3500, I suck the oil out, and replace it. Leaving the filter and the tire rotation for the next oil change, which occurs at 7500 at the dealer. This helps me sleep better at night. My question is what recommendations do we have for an oil that works good for turbo engines, with concern for protection, LSPI issues, etc. ? From what little I have gathered, its possibly using a 5w-30. Is that bitog-approved?

Ever since those engines appeared, we've been running them on Total Ineo MDC 5w30. Acea C3

They are on 15000 km (roughly 9k miles) intervals here, but the varnish I find in a lot of them says that's often too much.

Any synthetic 5w-30 SP rated oil should work fine.
I really like the Kirkland 5w-30 syn from costco - - it is SP rated now.
great price considering you get 2 gallons in each box.

Hyundai specifically states to use an A5 5W30, not the much more common A1 version which is what Kirkland is.
People overlook the ACEA ratings even here on BITOG.

Owners manual will tell you what you need to know read it completely and highlight the needed service information and a new engine needs a new filter.

Turbo? Use oils with VW 504.00/507.00 approval such as Mobil1 ESP 0W30, 5W30, Motul X-Clean+ 5W30.
If Hyundai is very specific on ACEA A5 (and Hyundai has serious problems writing owners manual when it comes to oils) use Mobil1 5W30 EP.

So the dealer will be doing your oil changes every other OCI (as you sneak in an oil change at 3500 miles) and they think they are doing it every 7000.

I second the Kirkland oil. Great oil for the price point and makes sense for a 3500 OCI interval.

Back