Kohler V-twin coil test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust this is the correct section.
A friend R&Red both coils from his Kohler engine in his Cub Cadet Mod. 1042 riding mower.

Two Kohler part 24 584 45-S are called for.

I looked up the test values (ohms) to me measured via the 3 points on each coil.

To see the basic, familiar chart of values, go to: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0geKVi3RZlb2L0A_EEPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Cub+Cadet+coil+resistance+test&fr=yhs-blp-default&hspart=blp&hsimp=yhs-default#id=31&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi107.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm314%2FRestrorob%2FKawasaki%2FFH%2FFH451721CoilTest.jpg&action=click

A is the coils frame (bolted to the engine)
B is the kill tang
C is the spark plug connector.

I can only get the C-A value in both coils. It's 9.7 KΩ in both cases and is within spec.
The A-B and C-B values in both coils is OPEN or infinity.

I find that odd as the machine ran, albeit badly. It runs well with the new coils.

Is there common knowledge on this kind of thing?

Also, on the side opposite the kill tang is a two pronged spade connector which, in both cases, never had anything connected to it.

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
I don't have a Kohler but replaced a faulty magneto this past weekend on my Briggs twin 19 hp. My new magneto measured around 4 ohms from the kill spade lug to the core which is your primary winding. The secondary from plug end to plug end was around 5k ohms.On my faulty unit, the secondary had opened up and had no continuity. I would say your primary side is open. I hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Basically the coils are step up transformers. A high current is induced in the heavy primary winding when the magnets fly past the iron core inductor. The resulting current induced in the primary winding creates a magnetic flux field that induces a current into the secondary coil. The nature of the secondary coil trades off high current for high voltage pulse that fires the spark plug as its field collapses. That secondary coil usually has many winds of fine wire. over time the wires insulation dope can can breakdown and eventually open. Just a bit surprised 2 of them opened at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back