Kohler 52 050 02 Cut Open (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a filter I ran for a year on my 14hp Kohler powered lawn tractor. I used to buy these OEM filters at my local farm store on sale, until I got tired of the high cost and began cross referencing alternates. I'm running a Motorcraft FL-910S now for 1/3 the cost of the Kohler OEM.

Metal end caps, decent number of pleats, media seems good. Not a bad little filter, but not worth the cost.

Kohler_Exterior_1.jpg

Kohler_Bottom_2.jpg

Kohler_Open_3.jpg

Kohler_Media_4.jpg

Kohler_Media_Top_Spring_5.jpg

Kohler_Media_Spring_6.jpg

Kohler_Parts_7.jpg

Kohler recommends changing your oil filter every 200 hours (or every other oil change) which means for the homeowner, you would replace the filter every two years.... That would cut the cost of the filter in half.

Looks good, could go another year!

Last edited:
I have started using Guard Premium oil filters for my 26 hp kohler courage. It is about $1.50-2.00 on ebay and after 50 hours, we couldn't find any tears and it seemed to really hold up. We are using another and will cut it open soon. If this one is the same, then I will be recommending these to everyone.

Champ made with the odd clicker type bypass. Same as some STP, Firestone and Fram Core. Some of the Kohler Champ made applications are now ecores, just like the others mentioned. This happens not to be an ecore in this application.

I find it generally less expensive and an upgrade to go with the equivalent automotive application in a longer filter, like Wix/Napa Gold with silicone adbv.

Thanks for the pics.

That baldwin or any fram ph3614/napa wix 51348 or equivelant cross will work fine....none of these engines are hard on filters....the newer yellow top of the line OE "HD" Kohler filter for the command pros is a fram/champ ecore....

Not that it matters, but the direct Wix replacement is the 57000, not the 51348. Either would work well. Or, even the 51516, if the room exists to R/R it.

But the only one Wix would offer warranty on is the 57000.

Most small engines are actually not that hard on filters or oil. Most get an OCI long before the useful cycle is depleted, because "annual" comes along way before a lot of hours will.

The Kohler filter looks to be a good little piece, but way too expensive for what you can find for alternatives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DSparks
That baldwin or any fram ph3614/napa wix 51348 or equivelant cross will work fine....none of these engines are hard on filters....the newer yellow top of the line OE "HD" Kohler filter for the command pros is a fram/champ ecore....

Good points. The topic'd Kohler 52 050 02 appears now to be an ecore superseding the OP's filter design. A google search as well as DSparks test picture thread below will indicate the same. It's also what's sold at the local Tractor Supply store. Amazon has it for ~$9 and that's the lowest price I found. Pass. I suppose if one really wanted the ecore, the STP S3614 can be purchased at AZ for ~$3.60, except for the can color it could well be identical.

I've been using the NG 1348 obtained for $3.75 on sale on a Kohler 19hp engine and it's worked just fine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3310845/Testing_posting_image_from_pho

Originally Posted By: R80RS
This is a filter I ran for a year on my 14hp Kohler powered lawn tractor. I used to buy these OEM filters at my local farm store on sale, until I got tired of the high cost and began cross referencing alternates. I'm running a Motorcraft FL-910S now for 1/3 the cost of the Kohler OEM.

Metal end caps, decent number of pleats, media seems good. Not a bad little filter, but not worth the cost.

Looks just like mine, inside and out. I did the same thing, switched to an FL-910S this Spring since I don't feel like paying $9-$15 for a mower filter. I'll cut it this Fall or next Spring and see how it looks (yes I know it's a Purolator).

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Kohler recommends changing your oil filter every 200 hours (or every other oil change) which means for the homeowner, you would replace the filter every two years.... That would cut the cost of the filter in half.

More evidence homeowners vastly overestimate the running hours of their equipment. I mow ~1.5 acres of grass (out of a larger property, so I'm not counting house, garden, driveway etc. as part of the 1.5) weekly with a 54" lawn tractor and rarely get to 50 hours a season. My lawn tractor came with a Hobbs meter feature, that's how I know. Most homeowners are driving a 42" deck on a half acre or less; minus driveway, house, sidewalk, etc. Even if you push-mow a half acre property you're not going to get to 100 hours a year.

For my 18 HP Kohler application the Wix 51056 looks like the recommended filter.

The Exmark uses the taller 52 050 02 S1 OEM Kohler filter.

The mower also uses the 51374 lube filter as a hydraulic filter

15W-50 M1 is the hydraulic fluid so that makes sense.

I'm planning the move to Wix/NAPA next season.

You say you're running an FL-910S... just out of curiosity, do you have enough head space for a taller filter? My Mazda3 takes an FL-910S, but I've been running the FL-400S for years. They're normally the same price as the shorter filter, and I always figure that more filter area is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
You say you're running an FL-910S... just out of curiosity, do you have enough head space for a taller filter? My Mazda3 takes an FL-910S, but I've been running the FL-400S for years. They're normally the same price as the shorter filter, and I always figure that more filter area is a good thing.

Unfortunately, there is no clearance on my Kohler for a taller filter like the FL-400S.

And FWIW I agree with all the comments regarding the under utilization of oil & filter in the typical homeowner's OPE. I probably run my yard tractor fewer than 50 hours in a typical year (some years much fewer). I intend to use filters for two years going forward, beginning with the FL-910S currently installed.

I have a 26hp kohler courage and recommended maintenance is oil change every 25 hr and filter every 50per the manual. Kohler filters are 10 bucks around here. Much cheaper and better piece of mind to buy hdeo and a run of the mill filter every year

Originally Posted By: HangFire

More evidence homeowners vastly overestimate the running hours of their equipment.

LOL. Then you have people like me that have a folder with my logs - start time, stop time, hours used.

Quote:
Even if you push-mow a half acre property you're not going to get to 100 hours a year.

True but I think you may come darn close to 75. We're on .45 acre (I think) and with our old 22" it was about a 3 mile walk to mow the whole yard and it took a tank of gas and about 2 hours to mow it pushing. Last year I mowed from about the beginning of April to the 1st week in Dec, or about 7 months.

Now with the riding mower it's 45 minutes to mow at an average pace or just about an hour if I take my time and make it look really pretty.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back