Knowledge is king

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

For you synthetic doubters out there I ran the numbers and have been convinced. The new motor going in this week will be getting synthetic. The old motor saw 3000 mile oil changes although Volvo recommends 5,000 miles. So instead of 3000 miles dino changes I will be going for 5,000 mile synthetic changes due to the better oil.
I plugged the numbers into a calculator. I save $4 a year running a $7.00 a quart Redline synthetic over $1.40 Pennzoil dino. If I use a lesser priced synthetic I will save even more. The old motor saw 94 oil changes had I used Synthetic there would have been only 56 oil changes. Those oil changes with Dino at today's prices $3580 with a synthetic oil $3475 and the synthetic is a much better oil in the long run. I used 38 extra gallons of oil during the life of the first engine. Live and learn I say.

Am I missing the boat here?
94 oil changes times 1.40 equals 526.40
56 oil changes times 7.00 equals 1568.00
Assuming 4 quarts per oil change and no filter, filter should be constant anyway.
confused.gif

[ June 17, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

nope. i get:
For Redline Synthetic
$7/qt oil= $28 for 4qt. + $5 oil filter
= $32
56 syn oil change sessions * $32= $1792

For Pennzoil Dino oil:

$1.40/qt +5 filter= $10.40 per change
$10.40 * 96 = $998.4

For Pennzoil Oil changed at a "Lube Shop"
$25 per oil change session (inclu'd 4 qt. oil and 1 filter)
$25 * 96 = $2400
shocked.gif

OEM Volvo Filter and washer 9.99 and average $20 labor.
I will be getting my filters in bulk off Ebay for about 1/2 what the dealer wants for them.

So I have roughly 35.59 per change dino and 57.99 for synthetic. I live in an apt that frowns on working on your car. Getting Townhouse by end of year should solve the labor cost problem.

Originally posted by Chris Jefferson:

nope. i get:
For Redline Synthetic
$7/qt oil= $28 for 4qt. + $5 oil filter
= $32
56 syn oil change sessions * $32= $1792

For Pennzoil Dino oil:

$1.40/qt +5 filter= $10.40 per change
$10.40 * 96 = $998.4

For Pennzoil Oil changed at a "Lube Shop"
$25 per oil change session (inclu'd 4 qt. oil and 1 filter)
$25 * 96 = $2400

The moral of this story is how much money you are wasting letting someone else change your oil! By changing your own oil you can be certain the job is done correctly and you can actually give yourself a better oil change. It's really not that difficult unless you have some sort of disability prohibiting you from doing so.

The synthetics and more expensive filters may make sense for an
engine out of warranty that accumulates many hard miles quickly,
and towing, etc. I don't feel good about leaving any oil and filter in
service for more than 3 months of frequent short trips totaling less
than 3K miles. It is getting harder to beat $1.40 for Pennzoil, but $3
still buys an AC or even an ST for $2.

Besides that, I likely would not discipline myself to check everything
else I check at an oil change otherwise. I also remember to take care
of little things, like this month replacing the rusted out back up light
socket when I change the oil.

o.k.? save more money by using Amsoil or M1. What happens if an injector leaks etc .etc.

[ June 17, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

I'd consider synthetic oil only if I drove tons of miles, say, 30000+ per year. In that case, the savings would be accelerated over the life of the car.

I'd just use M1 at ~$4 a quart. For 5K Mile changes, it's more than fine. I can't see getting any benefit from using Redline over M1 in your situation (unless you're about to tell us that you track the Volvo a couple of times a month
grin.gif
).

I think the dirty (or clean depending on how you look at it) little secret here is that you could easily get away with doing 5K changes with the Pennzoil, with no loss of longevity. However, I wouldn't blame you for going synth. It is better oil. But I don't see any need for an exotic, which I consider
Redline to be.

Als , the wosrt thing that will happen is the oil will cost more .I have used Redline it is great stuff but may not be needed. Post some anaylsis results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back