Knocking sound when coasting and only after I start driving in cold weather

2012 Kia Forte. Knocking/clicking sound when I'm coasting in drive after a cold start. Doesn't do it in neutral and also doesn't do it when the engine gets just a little warm. Changed oil filter back to KIA OEM and didn't help. Any ideas?

Sure it's not piston slap? Cold has a bit to do with that. So you say coasting but at what rpm during acceleration does it stop. And if it does is it as soon as you touch the gas pedal or after giving it a bit of throttle? And do you coast but with cruise control on? sometimes the engine revs a little bit to maintain speed but its easier to see the difference. Can you give more info like the mileage and oil grade.

Sure it's not piston slap? Cold has a bit to do with that. So you say coasting but at what rpm during acceleration does it stop. And if it does is it as soon as you touch the gas pedal or after giving it a bit of throttle? And do you coast but with cruise control on? sometimes the engine revs a little bit to maintain speed but its easier to see the difference. Can you give more info like the mileage and oil grade.
Generally when I park facing down a hill I'll put it in drive and coast with it in gear down to the stop sign going 20-30 mph. If I hit the gas it seems to disappear. It has about 63,000 miles and is using 5w20

Generally when I park facing down a hill I'll put it in drive and coast with it in gear down to the stop sign going 20-30 mph. If I hit the gas it seems to disappear. It has about 63,000 miles and is using 5w20
Man that's a weird one. I can't come up with a probable mechanical reason that makes enough sense. What would you say the decline angle is. And does the car do any kind of engine breaking. My 2016 Mitsubishi does engine breaking at low speeds and it's annoying but just barely touching the pedal makes it not engine brake but allows it to fully coast normally without giving throttle. It could possibly be that but I'm not sure how your car is. But if I'm not mistaken they kind of share the same 2.0 and 2.4 engine. They call it a different name among brands but it's the same engine in essence. I believe the engine breaking feature for that engine began in 2011. But i don't know if kia/hyundai used it too.

2012 Kia Forte. Knocking/clicking sound when I'm coasting in drive after a cold start. Doesn't do it in neutral and also doesn't do it when the engine gets just a little warm. Changed oil filter back to KIA OEM and didn't help. Any ideas?
Probably piston slap.

My '12 Forte now has 183k on the clock. Mine is now making same noise as yours. I've been digging into the KIA FSM manual about it....interesting engine...When the valvetrain gets wore out, you replace only the lifters or tappets as KIA calls them. And they make like 25 "lengths" of tappets for our engine so in the manual there is a procedure for measuring the clearance of the worn tappets and using that number to order the replacement tappet length that will close the gap into tolerance.
I think its the worn lifters. I called dealer and they asked if its causing driveability issues or lowered mpg's? I said no, then they said well drive it until it does, lol. My thought is, isnt it too late at that point?
I freaking love this car, I work at an auction and I drive all the VW's, Hondas, chevys toyotas nissans etc and hardly see these at auction but the interior is tighter and overall the car is more responsive & fun to drive than any other class competitor so I'm trying to keep it running...
Anyway, I just submitted a used OA for the Forte to blackstone...will post results when they come back & told them about noise so maybe they will have comments on it.

My '12 Forte now has 183k on the clock. Mine is now making same noise as yours. I've been digging into the KIA FSM manual about it....interesting engine...When the valvetrain gets wore out, you replace only the lifters or tappets as KIA calls them. And they make like 25 "lengths" of tappets for our engine so in the manual there is a procedure for measuring the clearance of the worn tappets and using that number to order the replacement tappet length that will close the gap into tolerance.
I think its the worn lifters. I called dealer and they asked if its causing driveability issues or lowered mpg's? I said no, then they said well drive it until it does, lol. My thought is, isnt it too late at that point?
I freaking love this car, I work at an auction and I drive all the VW's, Hondas, chevys toyotas nissans etc and hardly see these at auction but the interior is tighter and overall the car is more responsive & fun to drive than any other class competitor so I'm trying to keep it running...
Anyway, I just submitted a used OA for the Forte to blackstone...will post results when they come back & told them about noise so maybe they will have comments on it.
Posted my UOA, noise was not engine internals. Found the engine cover rattling. Lose screws into the plastic with worn motor mounts made the cover bounce/rattle. What a terrible noise to have eradicated.

Back