"Knock" and "squeaaish" suspension noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 1992 Honda Accord DX with 171,100 miles I have these two suspension noises:

1) A "knock" or "clunk" sound that occurs sometimes, but not all the time, when going over bumps. I live in the Boston area, so there are a *lot* of bumps. I'd say it happens more in the cold.

2) Also when going over numps, a "squeeak" that sounds a bit like a "crunnch" sound. The front springs were replaced some time ago.

Any ideas?

Where do the noises originate? For example, does the clunk seem to come more from the right rear, etc.
Were the mounts also replaced on the front?

Yeah. That's like going to the doctor and saying your hip hurts. Could be anything from just needing an aspirin to terminal bone cancer.

If you're not familiar enough with suspension noises and repairs, it's time to see a professional.

Thanks to those who gave actual suggestions - I'll inspect those things. As far as I can tell the noise is from the front. The sway bar bushings were also replaced when the front springs were replaced (and at subsequent oil changes I've certainly observed them to be in good condition).

Knock is most probably a ball joint. You'll like it when it gets fixed.

The strut oil gets stiffer when it's cold so the knocks are more directly felt inside.

You can check them by jacking up a corner and wiggling the wheel/tire in and out, up and down, but this check only shows seriously blown joints.

Well, my inspections turned up nothing and I took it to a garage and took it for a short test drive... We didn't hit any really big bumps, and the mechanic couldn't hear the noise from the passenger seat. He put it up on the lift and checked wheel bearings, sway bar bushings, everything up front. He said it was tight and seemed fine. He bounced the car on the shocks and checked to verify the shock mounts weren't moving from above.

So the noise remains a mystery.

The shocks *are* definitely in poor condition. I believe they are original (although the springs were apparently replaced around 140k miles). So perhaps some suspension component is bottoming out on the really big potholes, and this is what I'm hearing.

Christmas travel will definitely be in the Golf TDI, but additional suggestions are welcome :)

Cars often lose their symptoms when nearing the vicinity of a repair shop.
Best thing to do is note EXACTLY when and how the noise occurs. Hot, cold, fast, slow, bump, smooth, hard turn, mild turn, etc..
Your precise description can work when symptoms are not present.

Yeah, I am going to try and figure out what distinguishes it.

It generally only occurs of very bad bumps/potholes, but sometimes even smaller potholes when hit a certain way (which I haven't ascertained yet, of course :)

It definitely seems to be coming from the left. Anything to check in the back?

Of course now the problem is I keep doubting my senses :)

Pardon me for asking but why would anyone replace the springs and not repalace the struts?

Because they're short on cash, maybe? But it does seem asinine to go through all that work to not change the struts as well.

BTW, my car's front end really groans when going over the many speed bumps in the parking lot of my apartment. I'm 99% sure it's worn bushings up front. Which is why they're getting replaced soon, along with some polyurethane endlinks because they're cheaper (for my application) and better than the OE-spec stuff.

Also, if you have more body roll to one side than another, it's another symptom of bad bushings. With US driving patterns, if the left side is really loosey-goosey in turns while the right side feels better, it's usually a telltale of needing new ones.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Because they're short on cash, maybe? But it does seem asinine to go through all that work to not change the struts as well.

It was done in a hurry to get the car an inspection sticker. And when I was a college student. So yeah. I wish I'd done the struts :)

Originally Posted By: sciphi

BTW, my car's front end really groans when going over the many speed bumps in the parking lot of my apartment. I'm 99% sure it's worn bushings up front. Which is why they're getting replaced soon, along with some polyurethane endlinks because they're cheaper (for my application) and better than the OE-spec stuff.

The "groan" description sounds really familiar...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back