Knew it was coming...

We’ll have to watch and see if EP can compete with Brookfield’s new Clarios brand name after buying out Johnson Controls. That was a huge investment in Mexican battery production.

Last edited:
Just curious. How did the East Penn battery enter in the conversation? Walmart batteries have been made by Johnson Controls for the last 10 years according to this.

Not true for about 2 plus years in my area... And places north and east of my area here in the US...

Of course. But our corporate overlords have decided to protect their bottom line at all costs.

So if I have to, I'll choose NA made vs made in a third world country with no concept of labor or human rights.

Not just corporate overlords... EPA, other govt issues etc etc etc etc... They are big big part of the circumstances too. . . It's a effort done and perpetrated by all sides for their own "reasons".

Man snag... I am not sure where it is either... Seems like a new change though...

I like getting good batteries that are actually manufactured here in the US. East Penn batteries that were made here and quite good quality are nice to buy. And I got my 524fmf 2 years free replacement warranty from Federated Auto parts for only $89... Not too shabby really.

I’m seeing Made in Mexico car batteries beside made in USA batteries. Definitely a difference in the case design.

46001F99-12C3-4042-92CB-564FECA2E443.jpegCEE7CE10-EB82-4A11-831F-E39116CF2773.jpeg7F33B410-6124-4C49-ABA5-0129E86325CC.jpegC4BD8C88-B9C2-4A5E-B341-701F7A675E2D.jpeg

About 4 years ago I got one from Walley world made in Spain.

That’s not uncommon. Years ago, some batteries were sourced from Varta (IIRC), and they manufactured in Spain.

The primary issue/concern here is that there was some excitement that EP batteries were better quality/better experiences by many, than other manufacturers, and, it was known that JCI was offshoring after being bought out.

Napa sells identical EP batteries, with a made in USA label.

Now it looks like EP offshored as well, either to appease WM and pull cost out, as is the WM way, or across the board. Will be interesting to see if/how the Napa product labeling changed.

So one issue is that EP is making batteries in Mexico but no one knows where the plant is?

Why would I spend time trying to find the location of the plant? Is the label not good enough? I take the label at face value. They are ”EP” serial numbered batteries, and they say Made in Mexico. Knowing the stret address if the factory does little use to me.

Why would I spend time trying to find the location of the plant? Is the label not good enough? I take the label at face value. They are ”EP” serial numbered batteries, and they say Made in Mexico. Knowing the stret address if the factory does little use to me.
Simply because it may not exist. EP may be purchasing from Clarios. It’s totally common for auto parts manufacturers to purchase wholesale parts from their competitors and rebrand them. Another thing, very few people investigate how modern and efficient some of these Mexican plants are. Aside from the USA vs world issue it may be you have no need to worry about the sticker on the battery.

More jobs in Mexico equals less people crossing the border . Two edged sword .

And less jobs here... The movement of manufacturer plants out of this country has been going on for 60 plus years. Which has aided by people of all sides.

my never garaged passat’s original, 7 year old, mexican battery just went adios yesterday at 93k miles. replaced, all-in, with an interstate dated 10/20 from aaa for $165 within one hour of my help-me call.

Simply because it may not exist. EP may be purchasing from Clarios. It’s totally common for auto parts manufacturers to purchase wholesale parts from their competitors and rebrand them.
The "brand" is WM Everstart. The warranty is a contract between Walmart and the supplier. It makes no sense to me to bill EP for a dud battery that Clarios manufactured. It's only a (thinly veiled) hack that we consumers can figure out the supplier via the serial #.

The "brand" is WM Everstart. The warranty is a contract between Walmart and the supplier. It makes no sense to me to bill EP for a dud battery that Clarios manufactured. It's only a (thinly veiled) hack that we consumers can figure out the supplier via the serial #.
Sure it makes sense. Happens all the time. Part suppliers purchase parts from other suppliers and then warranty them. I’m not sure if EP is buying from Clarios, but if not, they have their own Mexican plant. So far I have not seen reference to an EP plant in Mexico. Not saying there isn’t but so far no one has been able to prove it. This is all deciphered from the letters EP on a serial number on a tag that also says Made in Mexico.

I’ve always had good success with the everstart maxx batteries. Just upgraded my 17 accord sport from the 51 to 24f battery just because I wanted to and really no other reason

Got a maxx for my wife’s 15 Altima. Both were under $100 at my local Walmart.

could care less where they are made, as long as they keep selling them I will keep buying them

Back