Kiwi couple run off with $6M!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard about that... Too Funny!
LOL.gif

They had more on the Today Show. That was just the first link I grabbed. I figure we'll hear from the NZ or Oz contingent tonight some time.

Probably... I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I was in their shoes...
LOL.gif

Please ship my Amsoil to this anonymous P.O. Box will you Gary?
LOL.gif

When I was at University, every Thursday night, we'd go to the pub.

There was an ATM on campus, and we'd file past it to pick up $20 on the way down.

A dorm mate visible staggered when he checked available balance (was expecting $35-35), there was $250,000 there.

Much debate about whether he should withdraw as much as he could ($5k), and spend it.

A couple of legal students were with us and pointed out that it's legally fraud, as you enter into removing money that you've got no reason to reasonably believe that it's yours...you'll go down bug time.

This couple are screwed when they get found out.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I figure we'll hear from the NZ or Oz contingent tonight some time.

While you are hearing from us, try to find out what Hopoate (the bloke who's boxing career started and ended yesterday) was most famous for in Oz.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
no way you could ever keep running... stupid IMHO
Gimme the money and I will show you!
grin2.gif

No one would find me!
45.gif

Speaking of stealing... I had a friend who used to photocopy $5 bills and feed them into change dispensing machines back before they had mini-computers in them and could tell the difference.

He made a couple hundred bucks and they never nailed him for it.

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I figure we'll hear from the NZ or Oz contingent tonight some time.

While you are hearing from us, try to find out what Hopoate (the bloke who's boxing career started and ended yesterday) was most famous for in Oz.

The most suspended rugby player in national history?

There was a new term coined in his "honour"..."chucking a hopoate".

To distract other players in a scrum or a tackle to put them off their game, he'd jam his thumb in their freckle

Yeah,bit of a laugh.They have a fair bit of support over here,no one is going to dob them in.After all the extra charges the banks screw you for,it's a bit of justice that a bank gets screwed for a change.Family are in contact with they girl,they are in china and having a good time.Can't extradite them from there.

China was a good country to pick... The whole world is made there now, so they should have no problem living a normal life with all the possessions they have grown accustom to.
LOL.gif

it will catch up with them, things have a way of working it out. who would rather not see their homeland again, for a paltry sum of $6m.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: crinkles
no way you could ever keep running... stupid IMHO
Gimme the money and I will show you!
grin2.gif

No one would find me!
45.gif

Tough to do.

A LOT easier 100 years ago, but the screw-up woundn't have happenned a 100 years ago!

33.gif

I was discussing this topic with someone the other day, and they mentioned how there were some people in the US a few years ago that ripped off some insurance company for many millions of dollars, then fled the country and hid a whole bunch of that money in some other country's banking system somehow. They then turned themselves in and turned in a very small portion of that money, got convicted and sent to jail for just a couple of years, but once they were freed they were then able to leave the country and get that money that they hid (and couldn't be touched due to double jeopardy) Could this story possibly be true or was my friend pulling my leg?

Would anyone here even be willing to go to jail for a couple of years if they knew that once they got out they could have millions of dollars like that?? I don't think I could give up a few years of my life in jail just for that!

Sounds urban legend enough ..but I imagine it's possible.

White collar crime really does pay. You get very low sentences compared to lower life forms.

Michael Milken

Milken was indicted on 98 counts of racketeering and securities fraud in 1989 as the result of an insider trading investigation. After a plea bargain, Milken pled guilty to six securities and reporting violations; he was never convicted of racketeering or insider trading. He was sentenced to ten years in prison, but was released after less than two years.

With an estimated net worth of around $2.1 billion as of 2007, he is ranked by Forbes magazine as the 458th richest person in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back