Kitty on convertible top

Although I am new to convertibles, I have been aware of the potential damage a cat or other clawed animal may cause to the convertible top. I park my Mini Roadster Convertible in my garage at home but when I'm out and about the car does get to spend some time unattended in parking lots, residential areas, and out in nature. I visited a friend a few days ago and when I was ready to leave I found a large ginger Tom sunning himself on the cozy convertible top. Luckily he didn't stretch and claw or sharpen his nails but who's to say I get lucky again? How can I keep pussy cats off the top? Placing a pet-deterring mat on the roof might work but it will likely get stolen by another convertible owner. Please don't tell me to spray dog urine on the top. Kitty jokes are okay. :oops:

Last edited:
Keep the body and glass waxed with a graphine product. Too slippery for the cat to reach the top.
The cloth top goes all the way down to the trunk lid. A cat can just jump onto the trunk and walk up the high traction cloth "ramp."

Last edited:
Maybe a solar powered owl decoy with integrated motion sensor controlled ultra sound deterrent? What would Q-Branch come up with?

Exactly. The top does come all the way down to the trunk.

Not my car

When they come out with that? I was thinking,

s-l1600.jpg

Cat would have to be a mountain lion to jump all the way to the top.

s-l1600.jpg

The Roadster came out in 2011. Its a fairly uncommon model. A cat in good shape can jump 7 feet high. They usually jump on the hood or trunk first. I can see the paw prints and find a few hairs along the way.

Last edited:
I lost this battle. We had a beautiful spitfire Burmese and she figured out it was the best place ever. She actually caused more concern with the black paint, as it was waxy-slick and over time started to scratch her slide-ramp down. My wife was zero support in the matter. I kept the Miata in the garage beneath a car cover. It was not the best experience in my life. I did truly enjoy the little cat - but this was an area I never succeeded in. Lack of understanding from my wife probably upset me more.

Maybe lay a cheap, soft windshield sunshade over it, but you'll probably need to secure it from wind somehow. Even if cats got on it anyway, it might at least provide some protection.

Cats love hanging out on cars, and your car has a comfortable roof to lay on, so there isn't much you can do but keep it away from cats. Smell based stuff probably isn't a good way to go. My parents had a rescued Manx who lost her sense of smell due to illness. She became nuts about food due to being starved in her prior situation, and would demand food at 5:00 AM. Leaving food out didn't work because she'd eat everything. My mom heard that cats hate Vicks VapoRub, so she rubbed it on the bottom of their bedroom door to keep the Manx from beating on it at 5:00 AM. The Manx licked it off. 🤣

I lost this battle. We had a beautiful spitfire Burmese and she figured out it was the best place ever. She actually caused more concern with the black paint, as it was waxy-slick and over time started to scratch her slide-ramp down. My wife was zero support in the matter. I kept the Miata in the garage beneath a car cover. It was not the best experience in my life. I did truly enjoy the little cat - but this was an area I never succeeded in. Lack of understanding from my wife probably upset me more.
Yep, pretty much sums up the situation I deal with. Probably going to be one of the causes of an 11 year marriage down the tubes as well.

s-l1600.jpg

A cat would just jump up and sink his claws into the top material to climb to the top.

Our next door neighbors cat would constantly jump on the soft top of my Jeep. I'd come out and see paw prints across the hood and up the front windshield many times. I tried all sorts of things to keep it off but never was able to. Thankfully it didn't seem like it ever sunk its claws into it as all the spots on the Jeep are nice and flat for it to jump around on...

Back