Kitchen gadgets

Ugh. My kids insist on gifting us gadgets to cook with. My son bought me a sous vide because I like steaks. But not in a plastic bag that comes out looking like an organ transplant. ‘No problem, I’ll send you a torch so you can put a sear on it’ No thanks. My daughter swears by her air fryer so now I have one. No thanks , on the rare occasion I enjoy fried foods I prefer them ‘FRIED.” Am I an old fart? Please advise.

Fried foods are the best. But I’m also not old and haven’t really made good choices about healthy food LOL. We have an air fryer but man you got to use it the right way for it to work right so it tends to sit in the corner and collect dust.

Wife's been making stuff in air fryer quite a bit lately, and I'm liking it. However, I think she went through 5 different air fryers before she found one that works to her liking. The food coming out of the first one tasted terrible.

Last edited:
All in all, I wouldn't mind some kitchen gadgets as I'm venturing out more and more into cooking. Currently looking for some quality Nakiri vegetable slicing/dicing knife.

In 2011 we spent $41K on a new kitchen, now we have less counter space than before because of the smoothie maker, the decorative fruit bowl, the toaster oven, the green bin, the dish display stands, Coffee maker, Keurig and my personal most hated....12 bottles of 'latest & greatest hyped miracle nutrient' that can't live inside a cabinet.

In 2012 we spent $6K on new stranded bamboo flooring in living room and dining, only to cover it all up with large rugs, I mean 80% of this flooring is invisible !

Rant over.

My favorite kitchen gadget is this iron indoor grill from the 1970s my dad bought me at an estate sale. I use it all the time. Makes excellent hamburgers,steaks,and hot dogs!! All my kitchen gadgets and small appliances he bought at estate sales for me. He'd always bring me a new small appliance or a stack of records he found and bought for me. He loved hitting the estate sales.

All in all, I wouldn't mind some kitchen gadgets as I'm venturing out more and more into cooking. Currently looking for some quality Nakiri vegetable slicing/dicing knife.
Maybe Ron Popeil to the rescue? Veg-O-Matic. Slice, dice, make Julienne fries. Add in the Pocket Fisherman and you are all set!
Ron Popeil (3).jpg

Last edited:
A middle aged lady near us made a spoof where, in a hopelessly cluttered kitchen, she used the familiar kitchen gadget commercial line, "...takes the place of all this equipment", while scooting all the cookers onto the floor in one big crash.

She then held up a take-out menu.

Yo, Quattro Pete, which brand air fryer does your wife like? They intrigue me.

Yo, Quattro Pete, which brand air fryer does your wife like? They intrigue me.
From a speed of cooking perspective, she liked the Philips one, but it was a pain to clean.

Currently she's trying one called Emerald - easier to clean, but apparently doesn't cook as quickly. My guess is this is not the end of her air fryer swapparoo.

The worst was the lettuce dryer, a thing that spin-dries washed lettuce. I've seen small kitchens with very little shelf space have this gadget crammed in.
I have to disagree with you on that one. We use ours regularly, and the amount of water that comes off of the washed produce is incredible.

With that said, I am generally against kitchen gadgets. Way too little convenience gained as compared to the counter/cabinet real estate lost.

Our Vitamix is one of the rare exceptions. It has made a LOT of smoothies.

I really like chicken from the Air Fryer. That completes the list so far. I spent big money on a single knife for cutting Rib Roasts into steaks after the wife did nothing but complain about her myriad of choices over the last 35 years. I finally got it right and she carefully cleans this knife and wraps it in a soft cloth, lovingly lays it into its cushioned wooden box and gently places it in its assigned space in the out of the wayest cabinet. If the house catches fire the daughter, pets and myself will die but the knife will be rescued by the wife. $300 for a single knife seemed an extravagance but I learned it is a relative bargain in some households. So gadgets and utility kitchen pieces can find a place of preference.

My wife is funny. She makes spectacular food but she will prepare an entire meal with a serrated table knife.
Ha, love this. We have collection of excellent knives but I'll catch my wife cutting meat with a serrated tomato/sausage knife. And she too is a great cook :unsure:

We don't have much in the way of large gadgets, but do have a handful of small tools that go in the drawers. A Kuhn-Ricon garlic press was a bit of a splurge, and we have a lemon and lime squeezer that gets a lot of use. We also have a bunch of little glass prep bowls that are handy when preparing ingredients, stick with Pyrex (USA) or Duralex (France) for those to keep it 1st world lol.

jeff

Couple of gadgets I can't live without. First one is the Mix N' Chop second one is a can strainer.

Back