Kitchen floor grout question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished remodeling the 1st floor of our new home. The tan colored grout wasn't sealed when completed and is now looks discolored and dirty. We're attempting to clean it well and seal it multiple times.

Any tips or tips of the trade to get this grout looking like new?

Thanks

I've always been impressed with TSP... Slop it on heavily and let it soak then rinse, rinse, rinse. Fantastic stuff...

Good luck

Mix vinegar and baking soda to create a paste. Once clean and dry be sure to seal the grout, then reapply every 12 months or so.

Last edited:
call a pro for the best grout cleaning.

Cleaners must be carefully chosen to counteract the years of cleaning you already did. EVERY cleaning product you ever used was absorbed into the grout.

200 degree water at 800-1500 psi can clean in ways you may not believe until you see it...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
call a pro for the best grout cleaning.

Cleaners must be carefully chosen to counteract the years of cleaning you already did. EVERY cleaning product you ever used was absorbed into the grout.

200 degree water at 800-1500 psi can clean in ways you may not believe until you see it...

This is a good suggestion. It is worth the time to at least get a quote, the downside is verifying the person/company does good work. In my area the cost is very reasonable to have a professional cleaner do the tile/grout.

Another alternative to do get an applicator and stain and re-stain the grout. Homedepot sells the applicator and stain. However, this is a tedious job if doing a large area.

The kitchen looks very nice!

take care.

As far as it's ability to get dirty, I've never seen a difference between "sealed" and un-sealed grout. Like said above, a professional grout cleaning service, or some home brewed cleaners and elbow grease. For me, hot water and ammonia works wonders cleaning the grout on our tiled kitchen floor.

I've had tile guys tell me to never seal grout, be it on shower walls or floors. Just soak it and scrub it well when dirty. I'm sure as with anything, you'll get an opinion from every tile guy.

Grout sealing has to be done at regular intervals. Sealing it once when it's new won't help a couple of years afterward, especially if you wet clean the floor frequently. If you have the right color tile that allows you to spot clean the sealant might last longer. My approach was to go with a very dark grout color. That may not suit everyone, but it sure does wonders for the grout staining issue.

When we purchased our current home ~3yrs ago, I *thought* our very light colored tile kitchen floor had darker grout. It was just that dirty. So gross... Ever since my first ammonia and hot water scrubbing, it may need an area (grout) scrubbed here and there between general floor cleanings. It stays pretty clean even with our family of 6 and multiple pets.

In JTK's situation I do actually think an annual grout sealing would be helpful. With an applicator bottle it isn't difficult at all. If I had light colored floor grout I would do it.

Originally Posted By: jg1
It is worth the time to at least get a quote, the downside is verifying the person/company does good work. In my area the cost is very reasonable to have a professional cleaner do the tile/grout.

However, this is a tedious job if doing a large area.

take care.

In your first comment above I recommend Google. Most any really good cleaner will have at least a dozen good reviews and maybe one bad one from a crazy person. Plus a quality pro will always show his workmanship for free with a demonstration.

In the second comment I totally agree. I am amazed at the amount of time folks spend when a pro can come in and in 30-45 minutes clean a huge area of tile and grout to new or near new condition.

Also, be cautious when "sealing". Too good of a seal will not allow moisture to move through the grout which can be a problem here in Florida and a few other moister areas...

Also, be cautious when "sealing". Too good of a seal will not allow moisture to move through the grout which can be a problem here in Florida and a few other moister areas...

Steve, that's basically what the tile installers I've dealt with have told me. It's better to let the grout breathe.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Steve, that's basically what the tile installers I've dealt with have told me. It's better to let the grout breathe.

If you shop you can find water based penetrating sealers that still let the grout act like it should. Many can be slathered right on the tile also and are completely invisible/undetectable. No shine, no slip, yet effective protection from the damage dirt causes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back