Kit -vs- DIY headlight wiring harness upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like everyone, I'd like to just get the best performance from my stock headlights. From reading, it sounds like simply upgrading the stock harness so the headlights pull power directly from the battery is the way to go. And while I like the thought of making my own harness, I haven't seen any good, step-by-step instructions, which is what I would need to even attempt this.

I've seen people refer to suvlights as having a quality harness that's built with relays, fuses, etc., but their website seems to be offline right now.

frown.gif

The Putco 230004HW 100W Heavy Duty Harness & Relay ( https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Putco+230004HW ) seems to be a good price, but unless I'm wrong, it doesn't have inline fuses? I found a video that explains how to install it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHql9CZHN1g

Using the Putco and adding an inline fuse(s) seems to be a pretty goof-proof way to do the upgrade, and not risk french frying my truck if I screw something up.

smile.gif

Or are there any good tutorials that a relative novice like me could complete with a good chance of success?

Comments? Suggestions?

Ed

I'm not familiar with sources for aftermarket harness kits, so I made my own headlight relay harness for one of my classic cars (71 240Z). I picked up two heavy duty Hella relays off a junk yard Buick (1990s?) and separate fuse holders for high and low beams. The wire and connectors were on hand. The rest was just figuring out where to mount the relays and run the new wires so it looked decent. Main power was connected to the battery terminal on the starter and the switch signals are from the stock light switch. That was nearly 10 years ago and its been working fine since, tho it seldom gets driven at night anymore.

What sort of bulbs are in your car? That will drive how the harness is constructed. Making your own isn't that hard, but it is time-consuming. I did it for my Cruze with its H13 bulbs.

If you have the time and want to DIY, drawing a schematic helps figure out what goes where, and how long to make everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back