Kirkland VS M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Costco tonight and saw that they now carry a Kirkland synth oil that was $23-ish for 12 quarts over M1 at $38 for 6 quarts. Obviously, there are shortcuts somewhere, but anyone got specs to compare the two? I looked at the M1 box and there was zero info, no industry spec codes, numbers, or anything else. Didn't bother to look at the Kirkland box, but would assume a similar absence of useful info.

Anyone see this, know the differences, leads to the specs of either?

Off topic, but similar, read another post here tonight that stated something to the effect that dino vs syth is mental masturbation for the OCD afflicted, and while I'm sure this is true to a certain degree, I'm betting that the "OCD afflicted" more want to understand that their choices are not adversely affecting their engine life, especially as mileage increases.

30 years ago, choices were slim and information was more prevalent, at least it seems that way. Today there are far more choices, advertising noise, let alone random Joe's opinion, that one has to wade through to even begin to understand what is a good product, let alone what one should be using. IMHO, we all just want what's best for our pride and joy, and while nobody wants to pay premium prices, we're all willing to pay up for what we feel is best for our needs.

your car will run 200k+ miles with either one if changed regularly.

i get m1 for $12 / 5 qt jug when the rebates start. many have gotten an even better deal from time to time.

enjoy

Should be pretty similar to Supertech or Amazon oil, it's all made by Warren Distribution, meets lots of modern specs, maybe not the absolute best of the best but if you change your oil at regular intervals and don't try to push super long OCIs it should work just as great as any other oil would, certainly a great oil at a great price if you don't wanna mess around with rebates or wait around to stock pile the top shelf stuff when it's clearanced. Plain Jane Mobil1 carries a whole lot of specs, just go to their website and you can find the product information.

In an '03 Suburban, if it meets specs., which both definitely do, each will perform perfectly well. Automobiles of this era usually had the engine outlast the rest of the vehicle. Lots and lots of various brands of WPP oil out there. I've used a lot of Wally World stuff, dating back to when it was called Tech 2000 and Sears Spectrum way back in the early nineties. If I could change my own oil either ST or Kirkland would probably be in my crankcase (or Harvest King, not WPP) depending on price. With a Suburban, I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
I was at Costco tonight and saw that they now carry a Kirkland synth oil that was $23-ish for 12 quarts over M1 at $38 for 6 quarts. Obviously, there are shortcuts somewhere, but anyone got specs to compare the two? I looked at the M1 box and there was zero info, no industry spec codes, numbers, or anything else. Didn't bother to look at the Kirkland box, but would assume a similar absence of useful info.

Off topic, but similar, read another post here tonight that stated something to the effect that dino vs syth is mental masturbation for the OCD afflicted, and while I'm sure this is true to a certain degree, I'm betting that the "OCD afflicted" more want to understand that their choices are not adversely affecting their engine life, especially as mileage increases.

30 years ago, choices were slim and information was more prevalent, at least it seems that way. Today there are far more choices, advertising noise, let alone random Joe's opinion, that one has to wade through to even begin to understand what is a good product, let alone what one should be using. IMHO, we all just want what's best for our pride and joy, and while nobody wants to pay premium prices, we're all willing to pay up for what we feel is best for our needs.

For that 17 year-old Suburban, run Costco and sleep well.

As has been mentioned, the Costco brand oil is made by a reputable blender with a reputation for producing some very good lubes. Is it M1 level quality, probably not. But is it a good enough lube to protect your engine, probably so. And besides, if you look on the back of each of the products you should find the API and ILSAC ratings and I believe that the 5w30 grades for both, carry GM's Dexos 1, Gen 2 rating..so from a practical standpoint, your engine will likely never notice the difference between them.

As for the 2nd half of your post, I largely agree but I actually think there's more information (ty Internet) about oils these days than when I was a snot nosed kid with his first car... you just need to know where to find it. ðŸ‘

Last edited:
ILSAC GF5, SN+, and Dexos Gen2, what else do you need?
[Linked Image]

Last edited:

Well in my opinion most of those oils are all much closer than some people on BITOG would like to believe they are.

I think it's a well made semi that exploits the "synthetic" word in the USA …
Really that's what major oil companies made possible with improved and inexpensive GII base stocks that target Dexos 1.2 and newer HDEO's …
Should be fine for runs within OLM or where many folks change oil.

+1
And the differences in most synthetic oils are only going to be apparent in a under 100hp per liter N/A engine like that Chevy v8 with extended OCI's or very heavy towing or track/autocross/motorsports.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Differences in longetivity - I've seen really good looking +10k mile UOA's on Warren oil. Yes, the particular engine plays a big part but the oil still has to be capable/up to the task.

Difference in cleaning power - how do you know this?

Differences in quietness - totally subjective

Differences in performance - in what way? How do you measure/quantify this outside of the requisite approvals?

Last edited:
Differences in longetivity
Difference in cleaning power
Differences in quietness
Differences in performance

Everything that is OCD on BITOG that you cannot prove.

Yeah-your motor will be dirtier in 5,000 miles using one over the other. OK..........measure that and get back to us.

Originally Posted by CKN
Differences in longetivity
Difference in cleaning power
Differences in quietness
Differences in performance

Everything that is OCD on BITOG that you cannot prove.

Yeah-your motor will be dirtier in 5,000 miles using one over the other. OK..........measure that and get back to us.

There are other ways to look at that. Many here point to an approval as the holy grail. It's good to have … but does Harry not prove something about AMSOIL regardless of approvals or not. Does anyone here care to try what he has done with Kirkland. Go for it.
There is actually a good, better, best to all this … figuring out what's your cup of tea is what we are all doing here.

I've run nothing but Amsoil for the past 30,000 miles in a Chevy LTG (2.0 GTDI) basically an EcoBoost. I didn't see any real benefit from using the Amsoil. I'm better off going to 5k intervals with any "synthetic".

Dexos 1 Gen 2 as a standard sits higher and is more stringent than the weaker API SN+. Use it and don't worry about it unless you vehicle requires other certs.

Who's Harry and why the heck would anything about Harry trump approvals? If Kirkland is selling a Dexos 1 gen 2 licensed full synthetic oil for two dollars a quart it is pretty tough to counter with a testimonial by old Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back