Kinda cool customers car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have worked on this car for this guy before. 68 Impala, 2 door factory 396 car. Not an SS though.

Currantly has a 454 in it. The car ain't perfect. It's a driver, not a trailer queen.

0805091610.jpg

0805091611.jpg

Wow that is my first car...........

Except for the big block. Mine was a 2 door fastback with a 250 six and powerglide. It had manual brakes and steering with no AC. It also just had the light on the second picture with nothing where the 396 is.

I never say another 68 Fastback that did not show the engine emblem. It must have been Factory ordered with the six and powerglide. I later changed it over to a turbo 400 and 327 smallblock. I have found memories of that car.

I learned to mechanic on that car. I brought my ex wife to the hospital in the biggest snow storm I ever saw. This is in Everett Washington. My Daughter remembers the car.....and she is going to be 24 in November.......

If I ever get in a better financial position I would like to get one again.

Thanks for showing it..........

Did Nascar ever run that body style? It has good aerodynamics for the era......

Chevy made a ton of that body style in 67, but not in 68.

Last edited:
Thats a dead ringer for the one I posted about here once before, which a high school friend had. 396 with a Muncie 4 speed. You wouldn't think something that heavy would run well, or that the trans would last. It did run very well, the trans I'm not sure about.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Thats a dead ringer for the one I posted about here once before, which a high school friend had. 396 with a Muncie 4 speed. You wouldn't think something that heavy would run well, or that the trans would last. It did run very well, the trans I'm not sure about.

They weren't very heavy, maybe 3400-3500 lb

My 73 Camaro weighs 3600 with a small block and only a front sub-frame. That is both title weight and public scale weight with half a tank of gas.

Off the top of my head I'd guess 4,000 for the Impala.

That would be about right, maybe even less in that case. I had one of those "way back when" and I think it was somewhere around 32-3400, which made me question the Camaro weight when I saw what the title listed.

(Chris - Sorry for hijacking your thread!)

A good friend of mine's FIL had an early 60's Impalla SS. 283 2V with a Powerglide. It had a hard time getting out of its own way. I'm not sure how that combo ended up wearing an SS badge, but anyways.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
A good friend of mine's FIL had an early 60's Impalla SS. 283 2V with a Powerglide. It had a hard time getting out of its own way. I'm not sure how that combo ended up wearing an SS badge, but anyways.

My wife had a 1964 Malibu SS 6 cylinder with a 2-sp Powerglide tranmission.

The Super Sport was an appearance package only - bucket seats, console, badges. On some models, a scooped hood and black accents, maybe styled wheels(?). But you could also order the seats and console on a non-SS (my non-SS '66 Chevelle had them).

That explains a lot
grin2.gif

I always thought it included a performance package as well, like the GT package for many Ford cars, like the Mustang.

I finished it up today and it drove away. Methinks I want one! I need to unload the big truck and get something I can use.
I'd have to have a big block and a 4 speed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back