Killed my receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dirtymudder
here is a block diagram of the amp.
amp diagram
The output uses a STK package output STK-433
These used to be notorious for shorting out. What happens is when they short out, straight power supply voltage goes to the speakers. when that happens a protection relay kicks out to keep the output from getting to the speakers.You can see the speaker relay in the block diagram you will have to get your volt meter on the line before the relay if there is any voltage there the STK package is shorted and keeping the relay from kicking in.

Thanks. If that's the case, the STK package needs to be replaced?

I don't think I have the skills to replace it myself.

These newer receivers also don't tolerate poor connections for the speaker wiring blocks as well - it will short and enter protection mode. Found that out on a newer Marantz, which is basically Denon.

That receiver was rated to drive speakers from 2-8ohm, but I'm wondering if disabling the subwoofer might have fried the output amp, which is essentially a monolithic MOSFET instead of individual ones for each channel like on older receivers?

What's the purpose of playing a bass track through bookshelf speakers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
amp diagram
These used to be notorious for shorting out. What happens is when they short out, straight power supply voltage goes to the speakers. when that happens a protection relay kicks out to keep the output from getting to the speakers.You can see the speaker relay in the block diagram you will have to get your volt meter on the line before the relay if there is any voltage there the STK package is shorted and keeping the relay from kicking in.

If the STK is shorted, Yes. The STK package is easy to change compared to rebuilding the channels that are discreet componets. But it needs to be verified that they are shorted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

They are quite large as far as bookshelf speakers go. I just wanted to hear what they sound like on their own. There are plenty of capable bookshelf speakers out there that work well for music, and only only need to be supplemented with a sub for movie watching.

They are quite large as far as bookshelf speakers go. I just wanted to hear what they sound like on their own. There are plenty of capable bookshelf speakers out there that work well for music, and only only need to be supplemented with a sub for movie watching.

+1 I found some Sound Dynamics R-85's at the local Goodwill type store, and while they are not big, they out performed the "100W" JVC powered sub I had to support my old paradigm titans down low by quite a margin. I'm running them on a JVC RX6042S receiver (also found at Goodwill) which seems to have the power to drive them as hard and low as I want to listen to for an extended session.
I don't think its quite the equal of your Yamaha but these old receivers can be found pretty cheap these days!

I still have a couple of Studio Mastering classics

KEF 103.2

Dahlquist M-907

and my lightly modified and surprisingly good
Boston Acoustics CR8 in use for casual radio listening

Me Hearing ability is going away fast though.

A Very sad occurrence for me.

Maybe it's upgrade time?
wink.gif

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649463614-bryston-bp26-preamplifier/
or
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649515938-bryston-bp-17-preamp-black-made-in-2016/

paired with:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649536566-bryston-3bst/

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Maybe it's upgrade time?
wink.gif

LOL!

Nice.

Eventually, when we finally move into a house again, I will pick up a nice receiver and will take out some of my bigger/nicer speakers from storage.

For now, I just ordered a cheap refurbished Pioneer receiver to replace the dearly departed Yamaha. It served me well for the past 7 years or so.

Bryston Eh?

They make solid, good sounding kit.

If I could still hear Id Have a Spectral DMC-12 Preamp and a Jeff Roland Model 7
At least until I didn't like it
smile.gif

amp diagram

If the STK is shorted, Yes. The STK package is easy to change compared to rebuilding the channels that are discreet componets. But it needs to be verified that they are shorted.

Hmmm, if I can work up the courage to fix an old late-1990s Onyko Integra 4.1(or is it 5.1) reciever. It's one of the first consumer-level Dolby Pro-Logic recievers and someone one of the channels doesn't work.

I've played bass tracks though decent sized floor speakers with disappointing results. And that's old school DJ Magic Mike type stuff not ultra low freq. My old bass setup in my truck wouldn't have sounded good with Bass, I Love You.

I would guess then they weren't

Theil CS 3.7

with Krell MDA500 monoblock amps

and a nice Wadia CD replay.

Ever hear audio snob talk?
Popular around Cambridge and Lexington
smile.gif

Yes, our frequency sensitivity changes, yet out ability tell good sound quality from a poor one stays intact much longer. There are some things besides frequency and harmonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back