Killed my receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday morning I connected a new pair of front speakers to it (JBL Arena 130). I temporarily disabled the subwoofer because I wanted to hear their response in full range mode. I started playing a bass heavy track ("Bass, I Love You"), took the volume up to -10dB (the scale goes up to +16 dB), and the receiver immediately shut down. It was not hot at all when it happened. I just barely started playing.

It will not turn back on. I disconnected power for half hour and disconnected all speakers. Still no go.

The self-diagnostic mode (TONE CONTROL + INFO + Power) will not turn on either. I just hear a single click, and then nothing. Nothing on the display either.

I took off the cover - I don't see any burned components and nothing smells burnt. I saw one small fuse near the power cable entrance into the case, but that fuse is still intact.

What else can I try? I am not an electronics components expert. I have a DMM.

It's an old(er) Yamaha RX-V471. Sending it into Yamaha for repair doesn't make financial sense. I just wanted to see if it's something simple that could revive it, before I trash it.

While the speakers are new, I ran them with another smaller receiver/amp the night before without any issues, so I'm not blaming the speakers, unless they're unusually difficult to drive, but being rated at 8 Ohm nominal impedance, they shouldn't be.

Thanks!

Did you check the fuse with your DMM? I've never personally seen a blown fuse that wasn't obvious, but supposedly they can blow and still look intact. Probably low possibility, but worth the idiot check.

Is the click you hear when first turn the volume to on or is it a relay that is clicking?

when you say you disabled the sub, do you have an external sub?
if the speakers are of matching ohms, then it should have allowed more Amps to flow i.e. burn out.

yeah, if you turn it on do you hear the relay actuate after a few seconds?

I'd PM sleddriver, as he's pretty good on receiver troubleshooting, unless of course he chimes in here.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Did you check the fuse with your DMM? I've never personally seen a blown fuse that wasn't obvious, but supposedly they can blow and still look intact. Probably low possibility, but worth the idiot check.
I did a continuity test with a DMM.

Is the click you hear when first turn the volume to on or is it a relay that is clicking?
Just to clarify, I hear a click immediately when I press (TONE CONTROL + INFO + Power) which is a key combination used to access the self-diagnostic mode. This mode is used to revive the receiver after it shut itself down and went into some protection mode. But in my case, this self-diagnostic mode is not turning on. The display remains off.

If I just press Power button, no click.

In the past, when it was working, I would press Power, and then several seconds later I would hear that click.

Originally Posted by stockrex
if the speakers are of matching ohms, then it should have allowed more Amps to flow i.e. burn out.
Yes, external powered sub.

I went into the receiver's setup and told it that I don't have a subwoofer. I then set my front speakers to "Large". This disables the crossover so that the front speakers can receive full range signal. After doing that, I started playing some music.

If I press Power button, I hear nothing.

In the past (when it was not broken), after pressing Power button, I would hear a click after a few seconds.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'd PM sleddriver, as he's pretty good on receiver troubleshooting, unless of course he chimes in here.

He hasn't been on BITOG for almost a year now, but I emailed him. Thanks!

EDIT: spoke too soon. Looks like his email address is no longer active.

So, you tried it this way: While pressing the "TONE CONTROL" and "INFO" keys,press the "(Power)" key (briefly) to turn on the power and keep pressing those 2 keys for 3 seconds or longer. The self-diagnostic function mode is activated with the protection functions disabled. In this mode, the "SLEEP" segment of the FL display flashes to indicate that the mode is self-diagnostic function mode with the protection functions disabled.

This cancels the protection mode per page 24 of the service manual available here: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_rx-v471_htr-4064.pdf/download.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by stockrex
Yes, external powered sub.

I went into the receiver's setup and told it that I don't have a subwoofer. I then set my front speakers to "Large". This disables the crossover so that the front speakers can receive full range signal. After doing that, I started playing some music.

If I press Power button, I hear nothing.

In the past (when it was not broken), after pressing Power button, I would hear a click after a few seconds.

Does this thing have a video menu that comes up via HDMI if you have it plugged into a TV?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

He hasn't been on BITOG for almost a year now, but I emailed him. Thanks!

That's unfortunate, I didn't realize that. He was a great resource for this type of thing, as he'd gone through a few complete rebuilds as I'm sure you recall. We had some great speaker discussions as well.

Does this thing have a video menu that comes up via HDMI if you have it plugged into a TV?

It does, but currently nothing comes up via HDMI.

Sorry about that for you. Surprised Yamahaha didn't come back after a bit though.

I recently bought a cheap though "name brand' 2ch "Sherwood" Receiver from Walmart online. Just for classic radio casual listening. Blew up in about 10 mins hour playing Rush's Tom Sawyer at a MODERATE level.. Then I found there was no warranty. Tossed it in the electronics recycling.

Chinese dumping of garbage.

Maybe check the DC at the bridge and then the regulator pins, If nothing there, a X-Former fusible link internally may have smoked - but you would smell that.

I absolutely HATE "Bass, I love you". It had been a you tube sensation to watch woofers destroy themselves for no reason.. An alternative would be Bela Fleck "flight of the cosmic hippo".At least these is some Music to go with the bass - though its not really my taste. Of course, some well recorded pipe organ would be a reference. Hard to find though. Thinking Widor's Toccata from Virgil Fox Digital

Don't The JBL Studios sound much better than the Arenas for just a bit more?.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
So, you tried it this way: " Connect power cord to mains and wait 5 seconds or so. While holding down "info" and "tone control" buttons, press "main zone" power button briefly and release, but keep "info" and "tone control" buttons pressed for at least 3 more seconds. The unit should power up."

Yup, tried that. Nothing.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I absolutely HATE "Bass, I love you". It had been a you tube sensation to watch woofers destroy themselves for no reason.. An alternative would be Bela Fleck "flight of the cosmic hippo".At least these is some Music to go with the bass - though its not really my taste. Of course, some well recorded pipe organ would be a reference. Hard to find though. Thinking Widor's Toccata from Virgil Fox Digital
I have plenty of other songs for testing capabilities of speakers. That just happened to be the first one on that playlist. Turned out to be deadly. LOL!

Still, I was at only -10dB so I figured I had a ton of headroom left. It wasn't anywhere near what I would consider "loud." and it only played for a few seconds. I'm really surprised at the result. I thought maybe it was some kind of speaker wire short, but I use banana speaker connectors - I did not see any loose or touching wires.

Don't The JBL Studios sound much better than the Arenas for just a bit more?.
I got them on sale, for garage speaker duty eventually.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I recently bought a cheap though "name brand' 2ch "Sherwood" Receiver from Walmart online. Just for classic radio casual listening. Blew up in about 10 mins hour playing Rush's Tom Sawyer at a MODERATE level.. Then I found there was no warranty. Tossed it in the electronics recycling.

Chinese dumping of garbage.
I did electronics at the local community college many years ago. Got together with one of my old classmates years and years later. He was working on his own, repairing and upgrading amps and stereos in his basement. He said that consumer electronics repair was a dying trade - the products were mass-produced in China, schematics were not available, and surface-mount technology made component replacement difficult anyway. Warranty claims typically involved replacement rather than repair. Inevitable I suppose - Chinese labour to manufacture vs. North American labour to troubleshoot and repair. No contest. Sad though, as I hate seeing all the e-waste we generate as a society, and hate seeing the skills lost.

Still have my G8700DB that i bought back in Japan 81-82?

Sansui-G-8700db.jpg

here is a block diagram of the amp.
amp diagram
The output uses a STK package output STK-433
These used to be notorious for shorting out. What happens is when they short out, straight power supply voltage goes to the speakers. when that happens a protection relay kicks out to keep the output from getting to the speakers.You can see the speaker relay in the block diagram you will have to get your volt meter on the line before the relay if there is any voltage there the STK package is shorted and keeping the relay from kicking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back