Kill Your Transmission Easily? - with a Few Ounces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this conversation with an 'expert' who says that literally a few ounces can kill a tranny and he has seen it happen to our non dipstick tranny by ounces.

That's a big claim.

My thoughts are that even dipstick transmissions have an acceptable range on the stick. And it isn't literally ounces.

Your thoughts? Killed by ounces!!? The why would anyone ever change their own 'non- dipstick' fluid!

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/6dpys-toyota-tundra-sr5-2005-flush-fill-procedure-automatic.html

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Found this conversation with an 'expert' who says that literally a few ounces can kill a tranny and he has seen it happen to our non dipstick tranny by ounces.

That's a big claim.

My thoughts are that even dipstick transmissions have an acceptable range on the stick. And it isn't literally ounces.

Your thoughts? Killed by ounces!!? The why would anyone ever change their own 'non- dipstick' fluid!

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/6dpys-toyota-tundra-sr5-2005-flush-fill-procedure-automatic.html

Any answer posted on that website, at least when it comes to automotive related topics, is wrong 99.9% of the time and usually foolish as well.

That expert is a Toyota service writer whose job is to bring customers in. He's working that angle.

If customers wanted tech support so they could wrench themselves, they should contact Toyota of North America or the requisite importer/ distributor.

It frosts me when I see an aftermarket part on ebay or whatever and the ad reads "call your dealer to check fit". Dealers aren't Ann Landers, they aren't obligated to give free advice-- that, of course, has to be perfectly accurate.

I suspected it was bogus.

I mean really, a guy should be fine I he drains, measures what come out and puts back in what came out. However, I do understand that the most perfectly accurate was is to account for expansion by monitor Trans temp. Tepid film and allowing to expand excess through the overflow tube.

The guy askin the question just wanted a few tips and the expert out up the wall of terror.

I appears my initial impressions are confirmed.

That's a big claim.

Who has time to read another thread on another site about some silly, ignorant discussion.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I fear this is an attempt by the manufacture to force customers to return to their dealership OR a poor designed transmission

Yes, and a service writer who works for commissions as well as a salary.

Sounds like one of my local Nissan dealerships.

Went in to pick up a case of a case of Matic S for my frontier and was told, "you can't fill transmission without proper machine."

I said how do you figure that?
He said our Master tech wanted you to know that before you go home and drain all your fluid and then have no way to refill the trans.

I said if your techs want to know where the dipsticks are on your trucks send them out and I will show them.

Can't stand people who spew lies trying to scare customers to come in for service. Worst part is he believed everything he was saying.

Last edited:
It's a needlessly fussy process, but I've done it on a Tacoma. Certainly not risky, and not terrifying. Follow the money.

A few ounces of ATF +/- leading to certain AT catastrophe? That's laughable.

I too have done a few ATF changes on "sealed" ATs. It's a pain in the stones for sure, but it's not the rocket science much of the service community wants you to think.

Last edited:

I mean really, a guy should be fine I he drains, measures what come out and puts back in what came out. However, I do understand that the most perfectly accurate was is to account for expansion by monitor Trans temp. Tepid film and allowing to expand excess through the overflow tube.

The guy askin the question just wanted a few tips and the expert out up the wall of terror.

Draining it cold will be easier to measure and refill. Otherwise, it's hard to account for any expansion of the fluid and refill properly.

I did a D&R of the sealed A/T on my 2011 Chevy Cruze and it's shifting even better than before. This is despite a similar (fear mongering) post by a GM tech on another forum which said "even slightly overfilling can cause A/T failure, yada, yada, yada.."

I did drain it cold and replace as close to the exact amount as humanly possible...I also added LG Red to the replacement Dexron VI which I credit with smoothing out the 'jerkyness' that seems inherent in these 6speed A/Ts.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Draining it cold will be easier to measure and refill. Otherwise, it's hard to account for any expansion of the fluid and refill properly.

Here's what I think. As long as you collect the ATF draining it warm or cool shouldn't matter much. If you drain it warm, after you collect the ATF let it cool, measure the amount, and add the same amount of new ATF back. Draining it warm keeps any junk that might be in there in suspension, although cool might net a little more ATF depending on how long you let it drain. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Here's what I think. As long as you collect the ATF draining it warm or cool shouldn't matter much. If you drain it warm, after you collect the ATF let it cool, measure the amount, and add the same amount of new ATF back. Draining it warm keeps any junk that might be in there in suspension, although cool might net a little more ATF depending on how long you let it drain. JMO

Agreed, that's exactly what I do--drain hot, let it get to room temperate and measure, then check the levels after re-filling per the factory procedure just to triple-check. My Freestyle is pretty sensitive to fluid level, and the CVT fluid seems to expand more when hot than other ATF's, and this has worked out just fine for me.

One can always use an infrared thermometer if they're really that worried.

That's a big claim.

As has been said before, take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back