Kidney Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last thursday, 3 am in the morning I woke up with very bad pain in my lower back. Hour later I was fine. Went to the doctor on Friday, urnine sample showed blood in the urine. Had a CAT scan Tuesday. Yep, 2 Kidney stones on the right side, 1 on the left in the bladder. How long do they take to pass? Could I have them for awhile longer? 3mm in size. My dad had them 3 times!

my dad has those once. i took him across the state for some special ultrasound treatment that broke the stones up into sand using ultrasound.

he said it was relatively painless. they even gave him a screened in funnel to take home and *** in, to catch the sand incase he wanted to examine it.

2 years ago I had stones.
I got a stab in the back pain that came and went.

It passed thru with a sharp stab of pain.
2 weeks later there was more to come and my doc said it could take a month...but to expect "moderate discomfort".
Well he was right.
I shoulda clenched a hockey stick in my teeth before that ***
shocked.gif
....a burning sensation I could only liken to that of an acetylene cutter
freak2.gif
I broke out in a cold sweat and cried like a baby.

Its one of those life experiences I don't ever want again!

there is medication that dissolves them isn't there? YES

But that are two different type of stones, to determine which medicine to use a stone must be analysed. A couple years ago I passed a stone. Sometimes they will pass into the bladder and break up there. I hurts a bunch when they travel from the kidney to the bladder. For weeks I peed thru a sieve buit never got astone.

Auto R/X?

I hear it's not exactly pleasant when those sharp-as-glass slinters, slivers, bits and pieces travel through the urethra.

I'm sure there are ways to pulverize those stones to a painless size, but it's probably a matter of insurance cost whether or not you'll end up bleeding from you wallet or your, uhm... ya know.
pat.gif

Maybe try this: http://www.dissolvekidneystones.com/

Good luck, and try to prevent stones in the first place. If you know you're prone to stones, you should maintain a certain diet.

"I'm sure there are ways to pulverize those stones to a painless size..."

It's a machine called a lithotripter or something like that. You sit in this jacuzzi tub kinda thing and they focus some sort of sound waves at the area and it breaks them into teeny tiny pieces that pass "more easily".

buster, I don't envy you.

My Mum had them many moos ago, back in the days when it was "shark-bite" surgery to remove them. Her first was the size of a Jelly Bean, and near killed her.

These days, they would be exloded ultrasonically, and expelled as painful, tiny fragments.

Fortunately, most of us pass tiny stones relatively easily, if not painlessly.

Chinese technique was to drink a heap (litre plus) of water, and hop on the side that ails you.

Doctor recently advised a workmate to drink a 6 pack of (light, or zero alcohol) beer, and go for a long walk.

As to preventative medicine, you either need to avoid alkaline foods, or acidic foods...depending on the quack (errm doctor).

Water is Autorx for people. If you drink enough water, 2qts daily, you wont get them. My father had to be operated on in his mid 30s to have kidney stones removed. Since then he drinks 2 qts water and hasnt had a problem since. Note: beer may be substituted for water.
cheers.gif

Yea...my Doc said too much dairy is too much calcium and thats how the little stones form.
They're like chalk stuff.
I've heard of that lithotripsy machine.
Apparently the stones can be as big as golfballs and that takes surgery to get them out.

quote:

Yea...my Doc said too much dairy is too much calcium and thats how the little stones form.
They're like chalk stuff.
I've heard of that lithotripsy machine.
Apparently the stones can be as big as golfballs and that takes surgery to get them out.

That is usually not true (as I understand)

I had them 5 years ago at 26 y.o.- Worst pain I have ever had. Woke up and thought someone had stabbed me in the back in my sleep. Two weeks of excruciating pain later-they passed (while I was back at work no less; due to not being able to afford staying out any longer.) Cranberry juice is your kidneys friend. Beer helps too...They both help keep your kidneys flushed out so I hear. Good luck, I hope it passes soon.

if you have passed the stone, have your MD send the stone in to get tested to determine what kind of stone is it? E.G calcium oxlate? So that way you can adjust your diet to avoid foods high in Calcium to avoid future kidney stones. I believe Calicum stones are more common. Like someone mentioned drink cranberry juice to acidify your urine. Drink plenty of water. Avoid drinks with Caffeine (causes bladder spasms) If it doesn't pass in a few days, you may need to have a lithotripsy done (magnetic waves that crush the stone) Most pass them without this procedure.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back