Kia Warranty---Save your oil change receipts ---Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday a local (St. Louis) automotive call-in show featured Kia's North American president. Some guy called in and said that he had looked at Hyundai and Kia, but a Hyundai dealer had informed him that he had to have all oil changes done at the dealership for $75 or have his warranty voided.

Expected the prez. to talk about the Magnusson Moss Act and say that self-changes are OK if you save your receipts but no-- HE ESSENTIALLY REAFFIRMED THE BAD NEWS THAT ALL OIL CHANGES MUST BE PERFORMED BY THE DEALER.
confused.gif
shocked.gif
dunno.gif

If I understand MM correctly, that means that Kia and Hyundai must supply free service. For the record, I get my oil changed at Wal-Mart and the 60K dealer service pointed out a couple of things (unnoticed and non power train related) that they fixed under warranty. No one even questioned the ST filter on there.

It sounds like you are getting the "10 year/ 100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty" by making quarterly payments through your dealer's service outlet.

quote:

Expected the prez. to talk about the Magnusson Moss Act and say that self-changes are OK if you save your receipts but no

Even "saving" the receipts is extreme. Think about the re-sale of the car under the 60K bumper-to-bumper warranty (you do lose the 100K powertrain wty in a sale). Is the buyer suppose to provide the original owners receipts?!? NO. My daughter's Kia dealer doesn't even ask about changing her oil. He has still performed warranty work. The Kia Prez is either foolish or uninformed.

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:

quote:

Expected the prez. to talk about the Magnusson Moss Act and say that self-changes are OK if you save your receipts but no

Even "saving" the receipts is extreme. Think about the re-sale of the car under the 60K bumper-to-bumper warranty (you do lose the 100K powertrain wty in a sale). Is the buyer suppose to provide the original owners receipts?!? NO. My daughter's Kia dealer doesn't even ask about changing her oil. He has still performed warranty work. The Kia Prez is either foolish or uninformed.

Sounds like both. The KIA warranty sez the owner or other shop can do the maint. work but the owner needs to save receipts.

http://www.kia.com/2004warranty.pdf

Magnuson-Moss Act Verbiage--

http://www.drdetailshop.com/magnuson_moss_act.htm

This is the actual language of the act:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this sub-section may be waived by the Commission if the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

The district courts of the United States shall have jurisdiction of any action brought by the Attorney General (in his capacity as such), or by the Commission by any of its attorneys designated by it for such purpose, to restrain (A) any warrantor from making a deceptive warranty with respect to a consumer product, or (B) any person from failing to comply with any requirement imposed on such person or pursuant to this chapter or from violating any prohibition contained in this chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back