KIA tops the latest JD Power initial quality rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Korean junk very low on resale value.

You are talking out of your back end as usual.

Subaru tops out in resale.

Ya'll are just jealous. Keep working hard, someday you might be able to snag a ten year old 4 cylinder Camry wagon.

Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Korean junk very low on resale value.

Posted by someone who has looked at a black book or blue book in ages......

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Ya'll are just jealous. Keep working hard, someday you might be able to snag a ten year old 4 cylinder Camry wagon.

Guilty as charged- but I can dream, can't I?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
I would wager that dblshock is actually a stealth marketing
hack working for an ad agency that is contracted by Toyota USA.

Obvious troll is obvious.

But I say he's actually working for VW--they'd like to stir up any controversy so that no one is looking at dieselgate.

Originally Posted By: wemay
KIA / Hyundai has come a long way. Some people may not believe in these lists but no matter how you slice it, it shows trends. I do prefer CR long term reliability results over JD's initial quality though.

Long term results are far more telling than initial quality ratings...

Originally Posted By: itguy08

The other point of my search was the asking prices.

Let's see your wussy boy Toyota top this guy:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/...00270&Log=0

That's 2.1 MILLION miles. And still $22k asking price!

Or this 800k mile Kia:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/...29648&Log=0

Yes, I see they are typos. But feeding Troll Boy is Fun!

It's a typo on the mileage on that van. It is 21,416 miles.

And you guessed it, same thing with the KIA. Another typo. It's 87,000 miles, not 800,000.

You have to check the carfax.

Private sale used Toyota's priced reasonable sell right away, a Ford may take months and eventually sell for little.

Private sale used Toyota's priced reasonable sell right away, a Ford may take months and eventually sell for little.

You ever tried to sell an F-150? LOL! They go instantly.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Yes, I see they are typos. But feeding Troll Boy is Fun!

It's a typo on the mileage on that van. It is 21,416 miles.

And you guessed it, same thing with the KIA. Another typo. It's 87,000 miles, not 800,000.

You have to check the carfax.

I know - I acknowledged that in my OP.

Unless you can see 10 years into the future, you will never know how good a car will be.

The MKIV Jetta felt like it was made better than the Honda Civic at the time, yet somehow the MKIV Jetta became unreliable as the Civics kept going.

ok a F-150 but accross the Ford line that's a tough sell, same with Mazda and Mitsubishi and the Korean junk, low brand interest.

ok a F-150 but accross the Ford line that's a tough sell, same with Mazda and Mitsubishi and the Korean junk, low brand interest.

Got any examples? Ugly and poorly maintained cars are hard to sell but generally the Focus goes quickly, same with the Fusion, and an older Panther? they are GONE. Lots of interest there.

Originally Posted By: wemay
KIA / Hyundai has come a long way. Some people may not believe in these lists but no matter how you slice it, it shows trends. I do prefer CR long term reliability results over JD's initial quality though.

me too

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Got any examples? Ugly and poorly maintained cars are hard to sell but generally the Focus goes quickly, same with the Fusion, and an older Panther? they are GONE. Lots of interest there.

Escapes also go pretty quick. As do Mustangs.

Heck, in 2003 I private party sold my 2000 Explorer with 68k in a month for full asking price...

Toyota is not the only brand that sells quick. IMHO they may be reliable but they are boring and, IMHO not a satisfying car to drive.

Last edited:
that first generation Excape is a rust bucket in this neck of the woods, rear quarters and rear gates..same with the Mazda 3, awful.

There was a Ford in that top ten list but that was an aboration, probably a rust bucket too.

Any generation Highlander won't show rust, fact 2000+ Toyota seemed to have delt with it effectively up and down the line. I'll stipulate they had issues prior.

that first generation Excape is a rust bucket in this neck of the woods, rear quarters and rear gates..same with the Mazda 3, awful.

There was a Ford in that top ten list but that was an aboration, probably a rust bucket too.

Any generation Highlander won't show rust, fact 2000+ Toyota seemed to have delt with it effectively up and down the line. I'll stipulate they had issues prior.

Here in PA, after 12 years, the wife's 03 Escape had 0 rust on it. We do take care of our vehicles and actually wash them. Or they don't use much salt here. Don't know what but we see plenty of pervious gen Escapes here.

Since you think Toyota is the be all and end all, let's talk about those Sludge Bucket Toyotas....

Hint: Toyota isn't anything special. You are a good troll though.

Last edited:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Toyota/comments/2lnwq5/bought_a_new_highlander_rust_on_the_tailgate/
Quote:
Hey,
My wife and I decided to purchase a 2013 Highlander in October of last year, thinking a new vehicle would suit us due to warranty, high resale value of Toyota, and Toyota's reputation of reliability.
Within 5 months, we noticed red rust spots (car color is Blizzard Pearl) developing on the edges of the tailgate.
We've been to the dealership over 5 times trying to get this resolved and they have refused to cover the cost or repair.

From 2003 (for a 2002):
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/highlander/4821-highlander-rust/
Quote:
I found a rust bubble on the right rear quarter of my 2002 bluestone highlander last week. I brought it to 1 dealer already and he said it wasn't covered under warranty...go figure... Does anyone know of a website that listed all cars that have been painted before delivery? Has anyone had to escalate an issue above the dealer level and if so, who would I contact.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

And from the Truedelta complaints list:
http://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Highlander/body-problems-268

Quote:
2011 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV
245-horsepower 3.5L V6 Hybrid CVT AWD
85400 mi

Rust on the tailgate. Car is less than 5 years but more than 100000 km dealer said nothing can be done.

Quote:

2010 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV
270-horsepower 3.5L V6 5-speed shiftable automatic AWD
16500 mi One of the end caps on the running boards fell off.
30000 mi Rust forming around tailgate rear wiper and below license plate. Toyota Rep said it was caused by scratches, but at goodwill would cover 1/2 the cost to repaint, should we choose to have it repainted

Quote:
2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV
270-horsepower 3.5L V6 5-speed shiftable automatic AWD
46000 mi

US $87 Plugged AC condenser hose caused water to seep in and drench front footwells. Dealer cleared the hose and wash/dry carpet.
54300 mi Door panel rusting at bottom. Dealer will not fix until rusted completely through. Will be covered until 5 year warranty expires in October.
55000 mi

US $104 Paint was wearing off on all exterior handles
11000 mi

US $30 Under the drivers side door arm rest cushion is a plastic support piece. This piece cracked. It supports the arm rest cusion from inside the arm rest.

Quote:
2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV
209-horsepower 3.3L V6 Hybrid CVT AWD
66960 mi

€400 Factory default rust points hatchback below tailgate. Toyota would fix that for nothing in USA - but not in Germany...

And there are plenty of other complaints there that aren't about rust.

And another thread (from 2012 about a 2008):
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52959-help-rust-spots.html
Quote:
Virtually all the rust on the vehicle is concentrated on the tailgate. (Please look at the attached photos.) All the spots are small (less than 4mm), and most are much smaller. There are two types: dots where the paint is actually bubbling and extremely small dots that look to be surface only. What is particularly puzzling is that there appears to be no associated chips or physical abrasion to the paint.The places where there is bubbling and rust breaking through from underneath started out just like the tiny surface spots you see. The paint just seems to be failing. As you can see, there is also rust and corrosion on the chrome.

But yeah, the Highlander is immune to rust......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back