KIA tops the latest JD Power initial quality rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cant get past the idea of buying a car called a KIA. Wonder why they dont have a model called the DOA?
shocked2.gif

take Mini Cooper, with all the info available today why in the world would anyone buy into that mess? Other sub-prime nameplates are really the same issue on a smaller scale.

'JD Power' (as if the name itself wasn't an engineered suggestion) is a more of a ranking of how much a company's marketing department is currently willing to spend. I can't find any use for it's data.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
'JD Power' (as if the name itself wasn't an engineered suggestion) is a more of a ranking of how much a company's marketing department is currently willing to spend. I can't find any use for it's data.

The name comes from the founder of the company:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.D._Power

Funny how when the data doesn't meet our personal experiences/expectations we find it "junk". I'm sure those surveyed have incentives to lie about their experiences. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

Funny how when the data doesn't meet our personal experiences/expectations we find it "junk". I'm sure those surveyed have incentives to lie about their experiences. :rolleyes:

JD Power sells their studies with more details to any and all companies. In the case of vehicle's reliability or initial quality they sell their study to car companies mostly.

C&R doesn't sell anything to any company, they don't even allow any company using their register brand to be used for any profit advertisement. Therefore nobody can't influence their studies.

Which one do I trust more ? One don't accept money from any company or one take money from anyone.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
stop being a hater, own a Toyota.

I own a few Toyotas.

Stop giving normal Toyota owners like me a bad name, Troll McTrollerson.

Last edited:

The name comes from the founder of the company

I know itguy08 and that company being a marketeering organization. Power as an exploitable name for an organization of professional market campaigners is a gift more precious than their own beating hearts. When the consumer mind serendipitously encounters a list of rank from an entity named "Power", what do you think the suggestion is? Because Booz Allen Hamilton just doesn't have the same effect.

I don't pay attention to any of these stupid rankings, I buy what I want. You know what? I have no car problems.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

JD Power sells their studies with more details to any and all companies. In the case of vehicle's reliability or initial quality they sell their study to car companies mostly.

And would all these car companies spend big buck on purchasing these studies if they thought their results were wrong/inaccurate?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

C&R doesn't sell anything to any company, they don't even allow any company using their register brand to be used for any profit advertisement. Therefore nobody can't influence their studies.

Which one do I trust more ? One don't accept money from any company or one take money from anyone.

That theory makes no sense. They both survey owners and process the results. And in most cases they are close to each other. While the places may change the general reliability is about the same across the different surveys.

It just makes sense - if they are in the business of shifting ratings to who pays the most, ratings would constantly shift and even the carmakers would stop using them Yet they don't - we won't see Kia at the bottom next year because someone sent them more money.

It makes good theory but in reality if they went down that path they would be out of business ASAP.

I don't know. But i am not 100% trust a company that makes money from selling their studies or do advertising.

C&R studies may have some flaws, but since they don't do advertising and don't sell their studies I tend to trust them more for their independent from all companies.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I still cant get past the idea of buying a car called a KIA. Wonder why they dont have a model called the DOA?
shocked2.gif

It's what you are used to hearing-"Goodyear" tires are OK-your used to it. But it's a funny name if you think about it.

Went by the wayside-but how about "Oldsmobile"? Who would want to drive one of those? Buick? What's A "Buick"? How about the beloved "Crown Victoria" on BITOG? Is that for royalty or something?

You see what I mean?

Last edited:
I just took a look over at "www.truedelta.com" where real reliability statistics are published. Kia is all over the map. Some models are excellent, some horrific. The 2016 Sorento, for example, is much worse than average. Whereas the 2010-2013 Forte is excellent.

Last edited:
I'm used to hearing KIA but just dont like a car named like an abbreviation for Killed In Action. Then they go and name their SUV Soul.
crazy2.gif

Reminds me a little, in a reverse way, when Pontiac squashed the name Banshee and chose Firebird instead.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I just took a look over at "www.truedelta.com" where real reliability statistics are published. Kia is all over the map. Some models are excellent, some horrific. The 2016 Sorento, for example, is much worse than average. Whereas the 2010-2013 Forte is excellent.

Which is why no one but the manufacturer should really care about the manufacturers overall quality rating...
Watching some of the luxury brands get dragged through the mud is mildly entertaining but no one really cares.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I'm used to hearing KIA but just dont like a car named like an abbreviation for Killed In Action. Then they go and name their SUV Soul.
crazy2.gif

Reminds me a little, in a reverse way, when Pontiac squashed the name Banshee and chose Firebird instead.

There are very, very few people who would associate the name the way you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back