Kia Spectra, Pontiac G5 and an accident!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My moms Spectra is badly damaged on the back end and the rear passenger side wheel is totaled along with the wheel hub/brakes as they were almost under the car. The bumper was hanging on the road and the back tail light was smashed. Windows in the rear also smashed from the impact and the 2/6 air bags deployed. Was a nasty scene.

Hubs almost under the car and rear windows smashed? I would never feel safe in this car, and I hope they total it right away rather than pretend it can be made safe again. Got pics?

I don't have pics, because I was more worried about getting to mom than grabbing my camera. Now the car is at the body-shop and it's a bit of a drive to get there.

The rear window wasn't smashed, the rear passenger side door which was mangled had the glass smashed and the passenger side window cracked because of the stress put on the rear door.

It took the damage really well. If you seen the RAV-4 you would understand why.

They are reliable, pretty much the replacement to the Sunfire. Only thing I didn't like about them was that the dash was plasticy(sp?) otherwise a solid car for the price.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I would sue for emotional and physical damage. But nice to know the Kia kept your mom safe... air bags even deployed.

The OP lives in "Our Neighbor to the North"...

And that ain't "North Beach", BTW.

And we wonder if our erection-to-resurrection, entitlements-based, rabid left-wing society (now devoted to "CHANGE!") is "too litigious"? OR why our insurance rates (for those responsible enough to even BOTHER with insurance) are so high?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Glad to hear you're mom's okay. That's what counts!

Same here about your mom. Happy to hear she and the other driver is basically in good shape!

Quote:

Anyway, re the G5, I don't know where you get some of your idea's, Stevie. G5 is a nice car, and a heck of a step above it, but the Cavalier before it wasn't total garbage. I drive one everyday, and its a pretty decent car - good size, drives well, just not a sports car.

I gotta chuckle when somebody claims that the [censored] wasn't total garbage, maybe compared to a Yugo perhaps, but from a fully rounded aspect, the car WAS garbage.

While the Cobalt/G5 isn't the worst product on the road it hardly qualifies as worthwhile compared to all the other better choices for your money out there. The Cobalt was stale when it was introduced just like the Cadaviler. Most all the automotive experts had a very poor view of the Cobalt/G5. Especially the early years were not great, but reliability has greatly improved but then again it should have after having the niggles ironed out.

The most important aspect is that you're saying that for the largest automotive maker in the world (until recently) the BEST they could do in the compact car segment after all these years was the "COBALT"?
You have to be joking....right?

Also ironic is that a similar car called the Opel Astra was almost the same basic under pinnings yet at least Opel was able to make it somewhat desirable . Hard to believe that the Opel Astra and the Chevy Cobalt were connected.
]

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for you wishes about my mom, she is ok and just taking it easy.. She is a bit achy after the accident, but good otherwise!

grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back