Kia Soul ( 2nd Gen.) ; Engine Rod Failure ( Pictures included ) ...

My Hyundai GF4D Gamma 1.6L has sludge issues and I know that it had been ran on an extended OCI below 3 quarts of oil just before I began taking care of it. I have been trying to nurse it back into the best shape it can be in but 90,000 miles of abuse with questionable maintenance really makes me worry especially when I see horror stories like this one.

These engines are poster children for NOT doing an extended OCI. Even Hyundai's severe service interval of 3750 is becoming too much for my Hyundai to handle because the P0326 knock sensor turns the CEL on unless/until I change the oil around that mileage every OCI.

We had a 2014 Kia Picanto and even though it was specced for 0w20 (or 5w20 I can't remember) the Dealers all used 5w30.

Service Interval was one year or 10k miles.

Content in the link is from few days ago, not 2015

1st post seems to be from 2015.

I have not heard about any Kia/Hyundai enginw failures in the UK.

I also have a fair few Hyundai i10s and Kia Picanto/Morning running as Uber and Taxi in Ghana that have had no issues, hired to drivers on a Rent2Buy basis.

Though I have a fairly strict policy in regards the vehicles having their fluids checked regularly.

Kia/Hyundai is bottom of the line. Buy domestic union made products if you want better quality for a fraction more money.

Well, I don't see any benefit to buying a Union made product. After all, the union labor just assembles what is designed and approved by engineering and management.

But I can find US made Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Kia and Hyundai to name a few cars that have better reliability than the Union Made traditional domestics.

Where is the value proposition for the consumer in what you advise?

From where I sit, many of the legacy costs the domestics face due to union contracts put them at a serious disadvantage compared to the others and more I mentioned above.

I have nothing against unions. But there is nothing about union labor that makes the car more valuable or a better choice either.

I could return to my earlier rant about FB Soul posters who name their cars but don't know what the teapot light or dipstick is for. Four Kia's and a Hyundai without incident. More examples in extended family. Can't say that about union made 'Merican cars.

My wife knows three people with KIA Soul cars that have blown engines. The odds of this being just normal attrition have to he astronomically small. One is her boss.

You mean like.. a statistical anomaly?

My wife knows three people with KIA Soul cars that have blown engines. The odds of this being just normal attrition have to he astronomically small. One is her boss.

Are American market Kia Souls built in the USA? Or are they built in South Korea?

So this guy went 7k miles without checking his oil, with an incomplete history of oil changes, drove it low on oil, and now has experienced engine failure. Shocker. In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and you never start a land war in Asia.

Luckily for him, Kia is still covering the warranty replacement even without proper documentation of oil changes. And to think that there have been multiple threads on here about how Hyun/Kia will do everything they can to get out of warranty repair...

So this guy went 7k miles without checking his oil, with an incomplete history of oil changes, drove it low on oil, and now has experienced engine failure. Shocker. In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and you never start a land war in Asia.

Luckily for him, Kia is still covering the warranty replacement even without proper documentation of oil changes. And to think that there have been multiple threads on here about how Hyun/Kia will do everything they can to get out of warranty repair...
^^This.

I've never understood car owners who don't regularly check their engine oil.

Back