Kia Soul ( 2nd Gen.) ; Engine Rod Failure ( Pictures included ) ...

We have the 1.6 Ltr. G.D.I. .The P.P. ( SN , GF-5 ) 5w-20 oil did drip off bottom of dip stick at times . Now use SHELL Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 ( SN , SN+ , GF-5 ) with FRAM Ultra 9688 . I think the longest interval was up 6,800 miles , all O.C.s were the P.P. 5w-20 up to R.G.T. 5w-30 . May get an U.O.A. of it with the R.G.T. 5w-30 around 6,500 miles or less if feeling less secure with it .

Last edited:
Just read an article on Google news where both Kia and Hyundai were fined huge amounts of money for NOT recalling there vehicles in a timely manner. I'm pretty sure one of the failures was the rod bearings. I'm not certain of the years involved, but it appears that the dealership might be willing to help on this issue.

My Hyundai GF4D Gamma 1.6L has sludge issues and I know that it had been ran on an extended OCI below 3 quarts of oil just before I began taking care of it. I have been trying to nurse it back into the best shape it can be in but 90,000 miles of abuse with questionable maintenance really makes me worry especially when I see horror stories like this one.

These engines are poster children for NOT doing an extended OCI. Even Hyundai's severe service interval of 3750 is becoming too much for my Hyundai to handle because the P0326 knock sensor turns the CEL on unless/until I change the oil around that mileage every OCI.

I had an I30 1.6GDI in a few weeks ago that had rod knock. I mentioned it in another thread. I drained 0.1 litres of oil out of the sump...

The car was on 30k km oci's against our advice. It had the first oil change at 15k km, 2nd at 45k km and then I put a note on the work order that the oil was in very bad condition and the car should follow a stricter OCI. I suppose they wanted to continue the 30k intervals, and they did make it to 70k km total (ish).

Hyundai paid for a new engine to be assembled by us...

I had the same engine in a Hyundai ix35. Oil changes every 4-5k miles usually with castrol edge professional 5w30 from the dealer. The engine developed a rod knock at 98000km. I overhauled the engine and sold it.

Reactions: JC1
"Content in the link is from few days ago, not 2015"
Yeah, my bad. I see that the poster joined in 2015, must be where I got it.
Anyway, the rest of my post is correct, so help should be available from the dealer.

>I noticed the oil was low

Meaning, he'd been driving 7000 miles since the last time anyone opened the hood, until the oil pressure light came on. At that point of course it is too late.

>I noticed the oil was low

Meaning, he'd been driving 7000 miles since the last time anyone opened the hood, until the oil pressure light came on. At that point of course it is too late.
Oil pressure light comes on when oil pressure is low, not when there is NO pressure or oil. Engine should be fine if shut off soon. I'm guessing he continued to drive like that with the light on.

When the oil pressure goes away due to lack of oil, that means the oil pump is sucking air, which is seriously bad for the bearings.

The owner of the soul never said the oil pressure light came on. He said he used synthetic so there is no reason a 7k OCI would cause that failure. I'd like to know how low the oil was.

Back