Kia Rio 5s 2022

Just got a 2022 Kia Rio 5s with technology package in sporty blue a few weeks ago.
Settled on factory oil filters for now since there is not a more economical option that is name brand, $10 for a factory filter.
Manual recommends 0w-20 see below.
I have a TON of free 5w20 rotella gas truck full synthetic with a sn plus rating.
I see no reason why in my climate that 0w-20 would be needed (rarely below 20*F).
I suppose I could possibly have a slight mpg decrease but i doubt i would ever detect it AND since the oil was free I would still come out ahead.
So my question is this
Who has actually ever had a engine problem with Kia and actually had pushback due to self performed maintenance. AND was the pushback due to the viscosity or was it your interval. I suspect that my maintenance intervals may be shorter than the average kia driver. I doubt that my engine oil will ever get to a point of breakdown so it wouldn’t ever be a issue. I am thinking I will probably do 6-7k oil changes I drive mostly highway miles. Factory recommended interval is 8k. I am pretty good about checking and keeping fluid levels topped off and since it is a 4 quart oil change I personally feel that keeping the level full is very important.

0A62A3F7-420A-4B6A-B69D-386F3D98FF07.jpeg

67DD660B-2F3A-48B6-B50F-F5163681FB57.jpeg

You are in the USA, so the push back will not be as bad. If an issue, and they see wiggle room they will say they won't cover it. Stick to your guns. Save all receipts. I myself won't run a Hyundai filter. My 2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T had a Fram Ultra on it when I came home with it. The Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act says I can any filter as long as it has it was made for that car. I also had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that toasted a motor at 14,000 miles and I had a Fram Ultra on it and they tried to not warranty it. I said, sorry, I have the legal right to run any filter that fits this car by US law, and I never heard another word from them trying to screw me. The car received a new motor.

They don't check viscosity on motors when they tank, they look at if it has been changed on a regular basis, if it is red (ATF), if it smells like gear oil/hypoid was added, and is it at the right level.

I am a thicky, so 0-20 would never be in my new car. Only 5w-30. Maybe if it was a 0-16 Toyota I would use 0-20 as the valve train might not take too much of a swing in viscosity. Testing with 5-30, and community testing would be looked at in this case.

I just got the same vehicle about 1 week ago. Really no difference 5w20 and 0w20 in your climate. I'd personally run OEM filters, and I can give you about 728 million reasons why. Keep all receipts and write all maintenance down. On the brighter side, I believe it has a serviceable transmission filter. If you're going to trade it every 3 - 5 years, then forget about it. If you plan on keeping it, I'd change the CVT fluid every 30k miles and filter every 60k miles. MMWA is words on a piece of paper. To enforce it, you'd need to go to court, lawyers, judges, blah blah blah. Stick with OEM while under warranty.

I see that 0w20 is recommended by your manual across the climate spectrum, so think about sticking with that viscosity while under warranty. Ditto on OEM filters. The little blue OEM cans my engine uses are well built and reasonably priced. Also, try to keep the OCIs around 5K as much as possible.

My 2020 2.0L specs 5w20 on the fill cap, but my manual offers other compatible viscosity choices depending on the climate. I use Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30 and have had no issues to date @ nearly 70K miles. There are many good choices out there for 0w20 oil, so whichever major brand you decide to use, it will probably do the job without issue.

Congrats on your new ride!

This may be because of my poor reading comprehension but " However higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather."

Last edited:
This may be because of my poor reading comprehension but " However higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather."
Pretty sure every kia manual reads that way. Most vehicles list at least 2 different oil recommendations for temperature. I usually find the climate for a hot summer region and a cold winter region. I found it odd that for this engine that it is one single flavor for both hot and cold regions. I understand that for my climate that the difference between 0w and 5w is negligible. I have lots of 5w20 with receipts that meets their core criteria for oil specifications. The only difference is a minor difference in winter “w” weight. Looks like I wont bother buying a new stash for this car and will have a 4-5 year supply of oil. I was just curious how kia had pushed back on fellow members who had also colored out side the lines.

...and then they ask you to choose the appropriate viscosity from the chart, which contains...um...one viscosity. Not much of a choice.

I had no idea Kia still sold the 5 door version in the states. 5W-30 would probably be okay, but I’d stick with the manufacturer listed viscosity while under warranty.

Just got a 2022 Kia Rio 5s with technology package in sporty blue a few weeks ago.
Settled on factory oil filters for now since there is not a more economical option that is name brand, $10 for a factory filter.
Manual recommends 0w-20 see below.
I have a TON of free 5w20 rotella gas truck full synthetic with a sn plus rating.
I see no reason why in my climate that 0w-20 would be needed (rarely below 20*F).
I suppose I could possibly have a slight mpg decrease but i doubt i would ever detect it AND since the oil was free I would still come out ahead.
So my question is this
Who has actually ever had a engine problem with Kia and actually had pushback due to self performed maintenance. AND was the pushback due to the viscosity or was it your interval. I suspect that my maintenance intervals may be shorter than the average kia driver. I doubt that my engine oil will ever get to a point of breakdown so it wouldn’t ever be a issue. I am thinking I will probably do 6-7k oil changes I drive mostly highway miles. Factory recommended interval is 8k. I am pretty good about checking and keeping fluid levels topped off and since it is a 4 quart oil change I personally feel that keeping the level full is very important.

View attachment 89887

View attachment 89888
Hyundai/Kia has always had cold feet when writing their oil recommendations in the owners manual. It makes no sense for them to talk about oil viscosity and engine performance in relation to cold/hot weather, and to select the correct oil based off temperature. Yet they only provide one oil viscosity.

I have a suspicion that Hyundai/Kia has one person who writes the oil recommendations in the owners manuals, and he/she has been doing it for 20+ years and still doesn’t understand basic reading comprehension.

You could call KIA customer service and try to get approval for the 5w-20 . Years ago I did that with HONDA to allow 5w-20 for 0w-20 recommendation . Got it in e-mail for confirmation if any issues when using the 5w-20 . Haven't used 5w-20 .

That's a nice little car....it's hard to find the 5 door hatchback in dealer stock...it seems they have plenty of 4 door sedans.
Did you pay over sticker for it?

And yes...I would have no problem running 5w20 synthetic in your climate.

That's a nice little car....it's hard to find the 5 door hatchback in dealer stock...it seems they have plenty of 4 door sedans.
Did you pay over sticker for it?

And yes...I would have no problem running 5w20 synthetic in your climate
I paid msrp.

Reactions: pbm
pdxglocker9mm: what did you decide about your kia rio’s oil and how is it running for you as a daily driver?

For a sub $20k Excellent daily driver 38-41mpg the more city driving it goes down.
Two things ilike
One the color i would have bought silver but I was forbidden by the wife.
The second it is really low to the ground which makes it harder to get into but that obviously makes the profile lower so less resistance to wind.
We call it the “rental”
I am running with RGT 5w-20 with factory filter.
I am going to a aftermarket filter for the next oil change still will be RGT 5w-20
I had enough RGT 5w-20 for like 6 oil changes.

Same engine in my 22 Accent. I'm going with Shell products for now (QSFS, PP) 0W-20. Even here in S. FL.

Congratulations on the new ride.

Back