kia power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering what other kia, hyundai owners are using?. Manual is vague on specs. thanks for any input and advice.

The manual for Kia/Hyundai state PSF-3 but it's not available at dealerships (here anyways) and they use ATF fluid instead.

I purchased Amsoil PSF and use it. My steering is really smooth and the pump is much quieter with it. I also don't have the wining in the winter time anymore.

3 Bottles will flush/fill most systems.

As far as I know you should only use Dexron ATF or a SP-III spec ATF fluid (Hyundai/Kia carry this) in your PSF unit.

Just as a side note: It's NOT ok to use Mercon or Dexron ATF fluid in your transmission as it will destroy it in a few thousand miles. You can only use a SP-III rated ATF fluid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steve what type and brand of transmission fluid do you use? I have a 2006 spectra with auto transmission.

Hyundai/Kia had some cold weather issues blowing hoses and pump seals in cold climates with PSF3.

I would use PSF4 or a full synthetic PSF or ATF.

There is a bulletin allowing the use of any quality PSF in place of PSF3. PSF3 can NOT be used in PSF4 systems. PSF4 can be used in PSF3 systems. Easy OE upgrade!
Mixing is also not recommended. Regardless of what fluid you use, consider a full flush and go from there.

I haven't seen anything 'exotic' in their power steering systems.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Thanks for the info Steve what type and brand of transmission fluid do you use? I have a 2006 spectra with auto transmission.
My mom has a '04 Kia Spectra and I have a '06 Hyundai Santa Fe.

We both use Amsoil Power Steering Fluid. I have used Hyundai SP-III ATF fluid in both units before with great results. I just find the Amsoil to be much quieter when starting the vehicles on brutally cold mornings.

You will get lots of miles out of that Spectra if you look after it. You can't kill those engines!

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back