KIA Power Steering fluid - PSF-3 - Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 KIA Sportage calls for PSF-3 (PSF-111) Power Steering Fluid.

Apparenty, this specification isn't used anymore and I want to make sure I use an equivalent fluid when I change it out.

Is there any PSF out there that meets this? The only fluid I've found was this:

Lubeguard - http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-1041/LUBEGARD+COMPLETE+Synthetic+Power+Steering+Fluid

In truth the LubeGard PSF shown doesn't state that it 'meets' any spec. Like most multivehicle products, it uses "suitable for" to describe it's use. Doesn't mean not a good/quality PSF, in fact being a synthetic PSF and Lubegard, likely a quality product. Not sure about the cost though.

Doing just a little googling it seems PSFIII equivalent to Dexron II/III ATF. 'If' true an easy spec to meet with ATF, including the Multivehicle Synthetic ATFs like MaxLife. My advice, google Kia PSF III equivalents, and go to some of the Hyun/Kia vehicle specific forums and see what the folks are using. Most I see using a Dex III 'or better' ATF equivalent, some MultiVehicle ATF products. And the LubeGard 'suitable for' listings would 'seem' to confirm information.

I use transmission fluid in the power steeping systems for Kias/Hyundai's. I think mostly Valvoline Maxlife and Havoline syn transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
In truth the LubeGard PSF shown doesn't state that it 'meets' any spec. Like most multivehicle products, it uses "suitable for" to describe it's use. Doesn't mean not a good/quality PSF, in fact being a synthetic PSF and Lubegard, likely a quality product. Not sure about the cost though.

Doing just a little googling it seems PSFIII equivalent to Dexron II/III ATF. 'If' true an easy spec to meet with ATF, including the Multivehicle Synthetic ATFs like MaxLife. My advice, google Kia PSF III equivalents, and go to some of the Hyun/Kia vehicle specific forums and see what the folks are using. Most I see using a Dex III 'or better' ATF equivalent, some MultiVehicle ATF products. And the LubeGard 'suitable for' listings would 'seem' to confirm information.

Thank you. I did some searching and found this to be the case. Not 100% sure I feel confident about using ATF in a PS system, but I guess that's what the KIA fluid "was" at some point. Not much on the KIA forums regarding this question. Most have advised as you have.

Yeah, I get it. As comparison I have an 01 Tacoma and it calls for DexII/III ATF, but they don't use any coded name for the product like PSF-3, just straight out says the ATF spec. As noted, lots of good reasonably priced ATFs easily meet the Dex II/III spec.

And one anecdote on this thread supporting the ATF conclusion.

I've used Maxlife Atf in my '03 Hyundai Santa Fe. Runs great with no noise. The one think that I will add is that I feel that it is thinner as it caused the power steering hoses to leak and the rack to leak. But I don't think that was the fluids fault as my car has a history of leaking hoses and the rack boots were torn up for a while when I got it.

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. As comparison I have an 01 Tacoma and it calls for DexII/III ATF, but they don't use any coded name for the product like PSF-3, just straight out says the ATF spec. As noted, lots of good reasonably priced ATFs easily meet the Dex II/III spec.

And one anecdote on this thread supporting the ATF conclusion.

- Good to know! Thanks for your help!

Quote:
I've used Maxlife Atf in my '03 Hyundai Santa Fe. Runs great with no noise. The one think that I will add is that I feel that it is thinner as it caused the power steering hoses to leak and the rack to leak. But I don't think that was the fluids fault as my car has a history of leaking hoses and the rack boots were torn up for a while when I got it.

- Thanks for your help

Quote:
RAVENOL J1B1031 Power Steering Fluid - PSF is Hyundia/Kia PSF-3

- Thanks for this!

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
My 2008 KIA Sportage calls for PSF-3 (PSF-111) Power Steering Fluid.

Apparenty, this specification isn't used anymore and I want to make sure I use an equivalent fluid when I change it out.

Is there any PSF out there that meets this? The only fluid I've found was this:

Lubeguard - http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-1041/LUBEGARD+COMPLETE+Synthetic+Power+Steering+Fluid

My Mom's Kia spectra required this and she used the Diamond SP-III ATF fluid and it worked fine. I used Amsoil Power Steering Fluid in my Hyundai Santa Fe and now in my Dodge Journey.

Just for some other options!
thumbsup2.gif

Doing just a little googling it seems PSFIII equivalent to Dexron II/III ATF. 'If' true an easy spec to meet with ATF, including the Multivehicle Synthetic ATFs like MaxLife. My advice, google Kia PSF III equivalents, and go to some of the Hyun/Kia vehicle specific forums and see what the folks are using. Most I see using a Dex III 'or better' ATF equivalent, some MultiVehicle ATF products. And the LubeGard 'suitable for' listings would 'seem' to confirm information. Power steering systems are nothing more than a simple hydraulic system. Nothing Special. You could use any ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic fluid in that system without a problem. A pump, a reservoir, hoses and a cylinder. Sometimes a cooler.

Thank you. I did some searching and found this to be the case. Not 100% sure I feel confident about using ATF in a PS system, but I guess that's what the KIA fluid "was" at some point. Not much on the KIA forums regarding this question. Most have advised as you have.

Call the "Parts Department" at your local Kia dealership I bet they will tell you to use ATF. The Hyundai dealers do. (Kia's parent company)

I recall my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe calling for Hyundai/Kia PSF-4 which was impossible to find aftermarket. I think it was the one fluid I didn't swap out on that vehicle. Hope the current owner appreciates it whomever that may be!

I'll call my local KIA dealer this week to see what they say. I think they will most likely say the "ATF" is fine or perhaps they have a brand recommendation. Who would have thought this would be such a mystery.

KIA should be more receptive to owners that want to maintain their cars, not just lease new ones every three years.

....Who would have thought this would be such a mystery....

Mystery = Buy our Kia labeled PSF.
56.gif

grin.gif
!!

Update -

Called a few KIA dealers and they told me NOT to use "ATF". They mentioned some "bulk fluid" they used and suggested that the KIA fluid "Wasn't anything special".

I honestly think the BITOG forum is the best source for information here. Dealers don't really know and clearly, it's a non-issue with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back