Kia oil control valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I don't know on Kias, on my Sonata there were no obvious symptoms I could see beyond a CEL with appropriate codes.

I replaced it and the CEL never came back.

Pretty sure they operate from idle to maybe 1500 rpm....is it doin anything different in the low rpms?...when the ford modular(3v engines) ones fail the engine sounds like its ready for the junkyard and run like absolute garbage.....i had to put one in a 2006 kia rio 1.6 earlier this summer because i broke it...ebay was the cheapest..and it was in a hyandai package..90 bux...forget the $150 ones....just trying to help.

OK, I'll play Mickey the Dunce. What is an oil control valve. I'm pretty sure nothing in my stable has one unless there is one on the Camry.

Its basically the solenoid that controls oil pressure(flow) to the cam phasers on the camshafts on vehicles equipped with variable cam timing or variable valve timing....different manufacturers call it different things...most newer engines have it...

The oil control valve probably has a screen. On my 04 V6 Camry, the screens can be checked by removing a plug.Solenoid can be checked for coil continuity with a multi meter. Regards

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The oil control valve probably has a screen. On my 04 V6 Camry, the screens can be checked by removing a plug.Solenoid can be checked for coil continuity with a multi meter. Regards

On my Sonata the screen was sandwiched between the head and block, if memory serves. It isn't easily accessible.

I don't know if there is one or where it is on the OP's vehicle.

I don't think there is a screen. Reason I am asking is during idle engine sounds like a timing chain slapping around. Almost like a diesel engine sound. Thought maybe it was the ocv maybe sticky and causing the cam chain some slack

On the Hyundai engines I'm familiar with the OCV has no relation to the tension of the chain, I dont think. There's a tensioner that handles that.

It's a little hard to explain while typing on my phone, but the chain is tensioner the same all the time. It drives one side of the phaser and the variable timing system controls what happens on the other side of the phaser.

I don't know if you're engine operates the same way, but it sounds like you may have a tensioner problem. Hyundai has had tensioner problems on some of their engines.

The timing is provided via a belt, which drives the exhaust cam, which in turn drives the intake cam via a small chain. I had thought maybe the slack I seem to hear was somehow being caused by the ocv maybe messing with the cam sprocket and therefore introducing slack.

You would probably get a DTC for cam out of time if there was a lot of slack. It only needs to be off one tooth to trip that.

I don't think its out of time, just thought maybe the ocv might be causing the noise and it just seems that engine should have more pep than it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back