Kia manual allows 5w20 and 5w30 but not 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Kia optima and the Manual allows 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 but doesn't say anything about 0w20 or 0w30. Is there any reason these wouldn't be suitable for this 2.4 L GDI engine?

Oil experts, to be clear, folks like Castrol and so on, have in the past recommended 0W-20 in applications that normally call for 5W-20. Honda, who tend to make fairly robust engines, back-spec'd almost a decades worth of engines from 5W-20 to 0W-20 as being perfectly usable or acceptable. You should no worries using 0W-20 in this car.

Why don't they spec it ? 0W-20 is only available in synthetic blends or full synthetic, which cost more, which equates to "higher cost of ownership". That's probably a big reason why.

This doesn't apply to you and was published in 2016. It is interesting however.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by skyactiv
This doesn't apply to you and was published in 2016. It is interesting however.

[Linked Image]

That is very strange because it seems to be a bit of a consensus that 0w20 is interchangeable with 5w20

Mobil 1 used to recommend AFE 0w20 on their site. No more. But Quaker State now does. I have settled on 5W30 after many years of back and fourth.

I reread the TSB and noticed Hyundai will not cover engine damage if the use of an oil not listed on the chart caused it. From what I've read many times over, Hyundai/Kia
may have a 10/100 powertrain warranty for the first owner, but unlike other auto makers, they look for an excuse not to honer it.

Didn't Hyundai/Kia just get slapped on the wrist for the way they worded their warranty coverage? They would have to prove the oil caused the failure I believe.

I reread the TSB and noticed Hyundai will not cover engine damage if the use of an oil not listed on the chart caused it. From what I've read many times over, Hyundai/Kia
may have a 10/100 powertrain warranty for the first owner, but unlike other auto makers, they look for an excuse not to honer it.

C'mon, let's be fair here... EVERY mfg looks for a way to weasel out of a warranty claim. Over the years I've owned a Nissan (Maxima), Chevy (Camaro RS), Ford (multiple models), Mitsu' (Montero) and a Toyota (Camry) and most of them at some point during my time owning them had a warranty issue of some kind at not once had the dealership for any brand said, "Oh yeah.. just bring it on in and we'll fix'er up at our expense! "

Kia/Hyundai has a (well deserved) reputation for being sticklers about their warranty and customers adherence to the maintenance schedule. Is it/can it be an annoyance, yes. Is there anything inherently wrong with a mfg (whether it's Apple w/their iPhone or Hyundai w/their cars) scrutinizing a warranty claim, no.

Last edited:
I have an Elantra equivalent avante, the manual specs all the way to 20w 50 but when I called the service center, they said, only 5w-30 helix, use anything else, engine damaged, we will void your warranty.

Originally Posted by Lufty
Didn't Hyundai/Kia just get slapped on the wrist for the way they worded their warranty coverage? They would have to prove the oil caused the failure I believe.

Don't know anything about the particular claim you're making but who knows, maybe they did. But any mfg has to prove its not through any fault of theirs, that is the bar to legally deny a warranty claim. This is why there's "safety" in having your maintenance and any service done by the dealership. Any failures are absolutely, without question 💯% on them (the mfg/dealership).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whammo
I have a 2012 Kia optima and the Manual allows 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 but doesn't say anything about 0w20 or 0w30. Is there any reason these wouldn't be suitable for this 2.4 L GDI engine?

Could be wrong here, but has Kia/Hyundai ever specd 0w on any engine in N. America??? For example, the Hyundai Lambda engine on mine was put into service in 2006 and comes in both GDI and non GDI as well as turbo versions in many N. American models and it's specd for 5w20/30 and 10w30.

Last edited:

News to me.

Mad Hatter, last year the Federal Trade Commission sent Hyundai (along with several other manufacturers) a warning letter to reword their warranty about parts and services. Automatically blaming an aftermarket oil filter for an engine knock which is really a design/manufacturer defect comes to mind.

Op, we run 0w-30 in our Sante Fe 2.4. We recently had a knock sensor update done and a month later it went into limp mode on a trip to Iowa. Dealer stated engine or harness was the problem but not to worry it would be covered. After replacing an engine harness (dealer said the new harness will probly be the next recall/update as they are doing a lot of them) we were on our way. Never even asked about oil change history or receipts for the vehicle and were very accommodating.

Originally Posted by bernau
I have an Elantra equivalent avante, the manual specs all the way to 20w 50 but when I called the service center, they said, only 5w-30 helix, use anything else, engine damaged, we will void your warranty.

That's BS and potentially an illegal (tie in) sales practice..just make sure your low temps aren't too low for the oil, then your owners manual is your cya. It trump's anything and everything the stooges at the dealership say. (barring a TSB having been issued)

Last edited:

I'd like to know how would they ever prove you used the wrong oil? Obviously, a paper trail would prove it. But if you faked the paper trail.....there is no way they could prove it without extensive testing of the used oil. I'm not buying it.

Originally Posted by philipp10

I'd like to know how would they ever prove you used the wrong oil? Obviously, a paper trail would prove it. But if you faked the paper trail.....there is no way they could prove it without extensive testing of the used oil. I'm not buying it.

They wouldn't be the first dealer to pull a fluid sample and send it out for full testing....heck, the results of comprehensive testing might even show that you should cut back on the fast food!...‚

Originally Posted by Lufty
They would have to prove the oil caused the failure I believe.

Nope. If you use a viscosity outside of the recommended/required viscosities then they have every right to void your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back