kia k5 new optima replacement

No turn cameras like Sonata has, most of the latest tech (like active noise cancellation) is somehow absent on the K5 in the US, yet available in EU. Consider Sonata

No turn cameras like Sonata has, most of the latest tech (like active noise cancellation) is somehow absent on the K5 in the US, yet available in EU. Consider Sonata
They just need to give the Sonata a (not out yet) Tucson front end. Kill the fish face. My apologies if I posted this earlier in the thread. I've given similar thoughts on several boards.

SWEET interior! Looks really sleek,classy,and sporty. Probably the best looking interior I've seen thus far on a current car.

They just need to give the Sonata a (not out yet) Tucson front end. Kill the fish face. My apologies if I posted this earlier in the thread. I've given similar thoughts on several boards.
They won’t, seems like Hyundai’s experimenting with their designs and each model will be unique.
K5’s both front and back ends are much uglier IMO even tho I’m obviously a Kia guy. I’d much rather buy the fish look and enjoy the “smaht pahk” and maybe even the hybrid

SWEET interior! Looks really sleek,classy,and sporty. Probably the best looking interior I've seen thus far on a current car.
These are just marketing pictures. The interior does look nice in real life, but has a bit cheap aftertaste to it. Not sure why, I didn’t feel like that after Sonata or G70.
Honesty with all the specials going on, you can buy a packed 2019 G70 for $31k or 2020 for $34-36k and get much more bang for your buck

This is a real picture of the most expensive K5’s at my local dealer. Honestly I’ve expected it to be better in details

Attachments

• B1A6FEEC-F5E9-46EA-8526-F9D47CC9AFCE.jpeg
    B1A6FEEC-F5E9-46EA-8526-F9D47CC9AFCE.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
They won’t, seems like Hyundai’s experimenting with their designs and each model will be unique.
K5’s both front and back ends are much uglier IMO even tho I’m obviously a Kia guy. I’d much rather buy the fish look and enjoy the “smaht pahk” and maybe even the hybrid
Hyundai made a pretty big mid-gen front end change with the Santa Fe. Even touting a new platform, which is confusing, since it's obviously the same body panels other than front (and back?) clips.

Hyundai made a pretty big mid-gen front end change with the Santa Fe. Even touting a new platform, which is confusing, since it's obviously the same body panels other than front (and back?) clips.

Still, Santa Fe and Tucson look way too different to assume any strict design decision that might come to Sonata. Unlike in say Audi world, where every car is pretty much a copy of their "main" model but different body and size. As Jeremy Clarkson once said years ago, seems like Audi has gotten a copy machine and they just downsized Q7 to get a new Q5.

I drove a 2020 Sonata FE and a 2021 K5 LXS back to back weeks for work recently. Both were rentals. I was mostly on the highway about 150 miles then very little in town and 150 miles back home.

The 1.6 turbo in the K5 feels like it has more grunt than the Optima for sure. I'm not sure if it actually accelerates faster than the Optima but the throttle response felt better. It feels like it has more torque. Some of that may be from having 2 extra gear ratios compared to the Optima. The K5 got great gas mileage. The trip monitor in the car showed 47 mpg on the way down and 43 on the way back (more traffic to maneuver through on the return trip). The 8 speed auto was great. It was only turning about 2200 rpm at a steady 80 mph. Both were competent and smooth to drive but the engine/transmission combo on the K5 was more fun for sure. I don't remember as much detail about the Optima because when I drove it I didn't know I would be driving a K5 the next week to compare it to. I like them both much better than the Chevy Malibu with CVT I had for the same drive the previous week.

For reference my car is a 2017 Kia Forte S with 34k miles. I just bought it about a month ago. Prior to that I hadn't owned a car for about 8 years and used public transit in Philly. Pre covid I traveled almost every week for work so i have driven lots of rental cars. The only complaint I have about the Forte is that the ride is kind of stiff. The flip side to that is the steering feels much better than the rentals I have driven in the same class.

Back