Kia is on a roll...

Status
Not open for further replies.
thankfully we have a great debt to repay the Japanese/Asians - they showed us how to build small highly powerful and reliable engines, exceptional build quality. we always complain how Asians can only copy Americans, but that is not true. We need to copy the Asians.
Right now I have 5 Asian vehicles, 1 GM, 1 Dodge. The GM and Dodge both show Asian influence. The Big Three have no excuse: they were just greedy for bonuses, so made large impractical vehicles that they could mark up the profit margin, which would guarantee they would fail. This is also known as eating your own children.

So Kia has a plant in Georgia USA now? I did not know that. Says they're going to build the 2011 Sorento there as well as the new model changed Sportage. So KIA's will be American made.

I still don't like their name, though. Wouldn't want to drive a vehicle with badge on it that says K.I.A.

I'm still waiting for Subaru to bring its boxer diesel that debuted in Europe for model yr 2009, to the USA for 2011 in the Forester.

Totally agree.

Building cars is not rocket science. Domestic manufacturers can buy an Asian car, take it apart piece by piece and see how it's done.

In fact, they do exactly that. So what's the excuse for not building a car of exactly the same quality or better? Because someone will pay for less?

GMs quality is better than KIAs according JD powers. I don't want a car that looks like a pokemon character.

I think you will see Ford competing with the Asians but IMO GM and Chryler are finished. I wish our politicians would let nature take its course and stop giving away our tax dollars.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
So Kia has a plant in Georgia USA now? I did not know that. Says they're going to build the 2011 Sorento there as well as the new model changed Sportage. So KIA's will be American made.

Yep, West Point Ga. Used to be a major textile town, now Kia has come to town. Saw the story on CNN yesterday.

Never been much of a Kia fan but I must say the new Forte looks OK. Reminds me of the older TSX, which I like better than the new larger TSX.

Originally Posted By: psiclone
GMs quality is better than KIAs according JD powers. I don't want a car that looks like a pokemon character.

Apart from their German-based Opel and Australian-built Holden offerings, there's not much that's 'better' IMO. Sadly, even their Korean built Chevrolets (or re-badged Daewoos) are better built compared to their US-sourced vehicles.

F'n traitors. I'm officially done with this board.
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
F'n traitors. I'm officially done with this board.
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

LOL.gif

Quote:

Building cars is not rocket science. Domestic manufacturers can buy an Asian car, take it apart piece by piece and see how it's done.

Explain how taking apart a car shows how a company built it?

Quality is not just in a finish product; it is in design and manufacture.

A finished product also doesn't show you "lessons learned" it the above processes.

Experience comes from doing the task yourself, not looking @ the finished work of people who have.

Last edited:
KIA hired my 1st cousin over a year ago, for the new Georgia plant. He worked at Toyota in Georgetown KY. I am sure he is not the only Toyota engineer that has been hired.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Apart from their German-based Opel and Australian-built Holden offerings, there's not much that's 'better' IMO. Sadly, even their Korean built Chevrolets (or re-badged Daewoos) are better built compared to their US-sourced vehicles.

Malibu,Corvette,CTS, the entire Buick lineup.

There is plenty more too.

Ok, simple.

So Toyota and Honda have been selling cars here now, what 40 years?

That's not long enough to figure out how to duplicate every little detail of the manufacture, design, and assembly process?

Bull.

It didn't take Hyundai that long to beat them at their own game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back