Kia, Hyundai, Mazda - Used Car Candidates

Own a '18 Accent sedan with the 6 speed auto with about 19,000 miles . Averaging 38.7 miles to the gallon since purchased new in September of '18 . It has an issue with heating in temps below 25 degrees since new . Can be troubling when first starting out to keep windshield clear . There's a T.S.B. for this with the '19 , not the '18 . Contacted Hyundai about it and no complaints with the '18 , therefore , no fix . 😠

Last edited:
I have a 08 Sonata limited v6 I bought at the auction with 90,000. Now 120,000
Repairs
1st year none
Just done
Rear brake pads, at warning
Low beam lights. Failed
Driver window regulator and master switch.Failed

Oil Pennzoil Full Syn every 5500 miles

'14-up Mazda gets my vote; I had a '14 Mazda 6. I would still own it if I didn't have kids. That car was dead reliable for 6 years, only really needed oil changes, filters, and tires. Fun to drive too. The 2.5NA won't be accused of being too sporty, but it will get out of its own way when you rev it out. Transmission and suspension were delightful.
Hyundai and Kia make nice, reliable cars too - but I much prefer the styling and driving dynamics of the newer Mazdas.

That said: Not everyone is a fan of the sporty feel. Mazda doesn't make cars for those folks, but lots of other makers do.

FWIW, we have a KIA sorento and love it. Its fully loaded beyond its BMW counterpart and quick as hell! Having said that, I have had more front end issues with it than even my lifted JEEP! But overall its a great vehicle. KIA and Hyundia have come a long way in the last 15 years to being very nice and safe vehicles.
On the other hand I have MAZDA3 as a commuter car, it too is fully loaded and 6spd manual. I love that thing! Its quick enough and works great. I would not buy new myself, its just not a good investment to take that big of a loss day one. I would look for something a year old or so, where the loss has already been taken. These days factory incentives on new vehicles may even that loss out, but I still cant see it and it just shows how overpriced vehicles are...

I'm not seeing any kind of budget... I think the Ford Focus is a good value, prices should be low from the dual-clutch debacle; get one without a dual-clutch of course. Ford Fusion is also a good value IMO. I'm a fan of the 2.3 Duratec... Fusion hybrids are cheap too.

Check out 'Carcomplaints.com".....If you are looking for a car in the $3000 range....the 2007 and 2008 Elantra can't be beat....certain years of Mazda3 don't do as well as others.

If your budget is more than $3000 you can do well with either or even a Corolla (avoid 2009)...

The problem with Carcomplaints and sites like them is that you have people with little to no knowledge posting about problems that may or may not exist. It's a zoo over on the NHTSA site...a complete zoo.

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice for replacement vehicle for my son. Looking at used models from the three brands above. I have since ruled out most Nissan's due to past and recent CVT reliability issues, Honda questionable quality in last 5 years and major component sharing with other makes where said components had questionable quality, Toyota - generally beyond my price / budget for equal size models and mileage, Mitsubishi - few dealers here in major metro area where I live, and seems to have the lowest used population to pick from.

Given my focus, I also want to stay away from any models from these makes that may have CVT transmissions, direct fuel injected engines that have proved problematic due to valve deposits, and any other model specific issues.....i.e. my belief is Kia had huge problem with door latch / striker corrosion a few years back.

Kia, and Hyundai are also starting to use CVTs in some of their smaller platforms.....no doubt be cause of cost and MPG requirements. I am not sure if these are of their own design or they use Aisin as the supplier. Also, are there any issues / recommendations to stay away from regarding models with direct injection that also have questionable reliability?

Thanks in advance to all for your thoughts.
Looks like you are a Dodge, Chevy, and Buick owner...

Any reason why you aren't looking for a cheap domestic brand car?

Ease of repair and reliability are my criteria for any vehicle. After that is satisfied, I look at comfort and size. The last consideration is resale value since I will maintain it in reliable condition and use it till resale value is unimportant.

Ease of repair and reliability are my criteria for any vehicle. After that is satisfied, I look at comfort and size. The last consideration is resale value since I will maintain it in reliable condition and use it till resale value is unimportant.
Which brand do you think is the most reliable / easy to repair?

Is it probably still Toyota?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I found a 2016 VW CC with less than 230 miles. Yes that is right. Apparently it was some kind of VW show or model car that sat in VW zone office. The dealer I bought it from supplied all of the documentation. I made the dealer put it up on the hoist for me so I could indeed verify the mileage and the story of where it came from. It was clean as a whistle under the car and looking up the exhaust tip, I didnt even find any black soot. Price was $18,560, and balance of 3 year factory / mileage warranty is still in affect.

I would strongly looking at the 2017-2019 Elantra. Naturally aspirated, MPI and standard traditional 6 speed transmission and VERY easy to work on.
No turbo, No GDI and No CVT....should prove to be the most reliable long term. I own the 2017 Elantra Value Edition with 46,000 miles and no issues and enjoyable to drive.

Back