Kia Forte 2.4L emissions readiness monitor reset after battery disconnect

Just could not leave well enough alone :cry: I wanted to clean the battery terminals, and adjust throttle TPS sensor on pedal using the ODB-2 computer. The throttle adjustment was a success but I'll like an idiot did it with the car running and threw a check engine light. I said "no big deal I'll just erase the code" because there was no pending codes and all monitors were ready. At that point I just erased the code - i was gonna disconnect the battery anyway, so erased codes later, and a disconnected battery to clean terminals/grounds I put everything back together the car started faster than ever lol, no check engine light, no other lights, good to go i thought.

Well here i am 100+ miles later, sweating that I'm not gonna be able to get one monitor ready. (Evaporative system monitor) I drove this car from very soft in six gear 1500 RPMs lugging, to almost 6500 rpms WOT shifts Drove on the highway for about 5 to 8 miles a couple times at 59 miles an hour with cruise control set in 6th gear, took some back roads shifted through all the gears... Maybe im just being impatient lol I do only have nine start ups since I disconnected the battery, and erased the code.

What do i do now at this point? Drive it some more? Start tearing apart the emission system? I did fill up with 93 octane ethanol free and some MMO in the gas of course.. It's moments like this where i wish i was not so OCD, and could let things "go". Take a look at the pictures, and thank you for any and all feedback. To note car was not running when i snapped the pictures. Oh forgot to mention, this is on a 2012 Kia Forte Coupe SX 6 speed manual 2.4L. About 125K miles.
IMG_0251.jpeg
IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0253.jpeg
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0255.jpeg

Last edited:
Just my .02cents.
I'm not sure what I am looking at, either the cars computer screen or a scanner!
Are you using a code reader/scanner?
I think tat the MMO may be triggering the CEL. Run the tank down and refill with fresh gas. Then clear the code using the scanner or if not using a scanner, (pull fuses, EFI &/or PCM/ECM) but first make not of the P0#.

Just my .02cents.
I think tat the MMO may be triggering the CEL. Run the tank down and refill with fresh gas. Then clear the code but first make not of the P0#.
So that's the thing I actually don't have a check engine light code there's no codes and no pending codes, and the check engine light is off. it's just one emissions monitor is not "ok" all others check out.

The only reason to care about an I/M monitor not having run is if you're going for an emissions test, which requires all monitors to have run and passed to pass the test.

Are you getting ready to take your car in for an annual emission test?

If you're not getting ready for an emission check, stop caring. It's an evap monitor that hasn't run/completed. Drive it enough to require another fill-up, add fuel, and drive some more. It'll have run by then.

I think the car should have over 1/4 and under 3/4 tank of gas for that monitor to run.

When I had to hurry up the monitors on my Elantra because I needed a sticker, I used some quick tips I found on the internet. I think it was this one. It might be the same process for the Kia, it won’t hurt to try. Edit— the one you posted above should work too

Unless you have an emissions inspection coming up, what do you care? That the evap monitor hasn't completed doesn't mean there is any fault in the system. It can take hundreds of miles for that monitor to complete. Fuel level as mentioned above is important. Don't let it go under a quarter and don't fill up to full. Also, depending on the state and year of the car, you may be allowed one incomplete monitor as long as it's not for the cat, and still pass inspection. Just passed inspection in VA with incomplete evap on a 2005.

The only reason to care about an I/M monitor not having run is if you're going for an emissions test, which requires all monitors to have run and passed to pass the test.
In Texas you can have one non-cont. monitor not ready and pass emissions. I’ve passed w/o EVAP ready. Check your state requirements to see of you can pass in this readiness state.

In Texas you can have one non-cont. monitor not ready and pass emissions. I’ve passed w/o EVAP ready. Check your state requirements to see of you can pass in this readiness state.
This is good news that I never knew but according to the ny dmv website under inspection section in ny on a 2001 and newer obd-2 vehicle you can have one monitor not ready such as long as there are no pending or current check engine light codes.
At this point there are no codes no pending and 7 out of 8 monitors are ready. I did not do the Kia drive cycle yet but I’ll give that a shot but otherwise I think I’ll wing it and take it in next week even if I can’t get the one monitor to set for some reason.

Also in NY when you buy a vehicle you need to get a new inspection even if it’s current. The new inspection goes with the registration and plates, so that’s why I’m worried about inspection lol.
66905C57-0C5D-413F-9F76-E06A45003297.jpeg

Take it in now and get the inspection. You gain nothing by waiting.

The inspection will pass now, go get it done and stop obsessing over an inconsequential detail.

To update on this!,

IT PASSED. no issue to report.. even after 250 miles that one monitor is not set but I'm not gonna worry about it at the moment. If it throws a check engine then i will worry about it.

So for others that do not know like I did not know in New York you can have one monitor not set and still pass inspection.

IMG_0327.jpeg

Back