Kia Engine dies due to lack of oil changes

who wants to go through the hassle of waiting for an engine replacement, and not knowning if they installed everything correctly. My local kia dealership is horrible, I want nothing to do with them. Go to quick lube for 19.99 and be done with it.

who wants to go through the hassle of waiting for an engine replacement, and not knowning if they installed everything correctly. My local kia dealership is horrible, I want nothing to do with them. Go to quick lube for 19.99 and be done with it.
Exactly. Like another user stated, this guy is now spending more time, effort and possibly money getting an engine replaced than if he had just changed the oil once a year, or whatever the warranty requires. Unfortunately, this type of person is becoming the poster child for modern vehicle owners.

what's weirder is it takes 14 minutes to drop the oil & spin on a filter, about the same time to walk into the store to get the stuff to do it.
so this guy has probably spent more time talking about not getting his vehicle serviced than the time it takes to do it, + $22. for materials.
now he gets to spend more time chasing an approved engine swap. rinse & repeat.
Based on the OPs description it sounds like this person didn’t know how to change the oil or didn’t have a space to do it. On a tight budget your options are going to be limited to places like Walmart, my experience is that those places take forever to complete an oil change.

That being said you’re right, I’m always amazed at people on tight budgets (I‘ve been there) who blow off even the most perfunctory of maintenance on the most expensive asset they have possession of. Like I get paycheck to paycheck and missing an oci by a few thousand miles but **** this dude had like a year to scrape the $20 for the Wally World conventional oil change.

Based on the OPs description it sounds like this person didn’t know how to change the oil or didn’t have a space to do it. On a tight budget your options are going to be limited to places like Walmart, my experience is that those places take forever to complete an oil change.

That being said you’re right, I’m always amazed at people on tight budgets (I‘ve been there) who blow off even the most perfunctory of maintenance on the most expensive asset they have possession of. Like I get paycheck to paycheck and missing an oci by a few thousand miles but **** this dude had like a year to scrape the $20 for the Wally World conventional oil change.

Or, claim you dont even have time to take your friend up on an offer to come over and have a beer and do it for free.

Kia/Hyundai has been replacing a large number of engines. Due to the number of engines that failed when properly maintained, they know they have a problem. The few they replace that are poorly maintained really won't make a dent in their liability. Furthermore, it's been proven that all the oil changes in the world does not extend the MTBF of these engines by much.

As far as I am concerned, they are doing the right thing and their good will goes a long way.

Last edited:
Covered under the lawsuit or not, for someone who has never changed their oil, they are very lucky to get a new engine courtesy of Kia. No money to change oil? Cry me a river, the U.S. is one of the cheapest places on earth to buy motor oil. The same people tend to be the ones who will spend $100 to dine out, but "don't have" $40 for an oil change.

I have heard a handful of other similar stories of Hyundai/KIA replacing owner neglected engines under warranty.

Hopefully your friend wakes up and starts taking care of it. I am certain he has some other vices he can back off of to afford changing the oil when needed and afford it

I see numerous new engines on KIAs that come through my center.
Many have been maintained meticulously others not. Recall a new engine installed
on one that had 168k miles. In one instance the finger was pointed at me as the engine failed
days after an oil change. I went to inspect the the vehicle and to speak with the Service Mgr.
The car was on the lift and there was a baseball sized hole in the block. He told me not my fault.
That it would be repaired free of charge. The service bays were littered with failed short blocks.
Customer had his car back in 2 days. New engine.

Covered under the lawsuit or not, for someone who has never changed their oil, they are very lucky to get a new engine courtesy of Kia. No money to change oil? Cry me a river, the U.S. is one of the cheapest places on earth to buy motor oil. The same people tend to be the ones who will spend $100 to dine out, but "don't have" $40 for an oil change.
Not even 40, walmart is a good friend for broke people like me for oil changes.
20 to 25 per oil change, 7-12k oci's

The engines are not substandard but we'll agree to disagree. I do believe the story because i've witnessed it first hand and posted the story a year or two ago.
People can buy them cheap, not change the oil because they "don't have the time" and then get a new engine. It's preposterous.
Here it is...

View attachment 64444
View attachment 64445View attachment 64446View attachment 64447View attachment 64448View attachment 64449
View attachment 64450
C'mon-you are going to tell me with a straight face that all the grenading H/K motors are due to poor maintenance and NONE are due to poor metallurgy, design, cleaning upon assembly?? I better tell my family to trade in all their Scions, Hondas, & Toyotas on new Hyundais or Kias before they all lose engines! That's some funny stuff! Seriously, the OP's friend is really lucky there's a program to replace his engine-many HK engines have had warranties denied for less, like non-OEM oil filters.

C'mon-you are going to tell me with a straight face that all the grenading H/K motors are due to poor maintenance and NONE are due to poor metallurgy, design, cleaning upon assembly?? I better tell my family to trade in all their Scions, Hondas, & Toyotas on new Hyundais or Kias before they all lose engines! That's some funny stuff! Seriously, the OP's friend is really lucky there's a program to replace his engine-many HK engines have had warranties denied for less, like non-OEM oil filters.
I never said that. Of course many engines have been replaced. Do you know what percentage of those sold have had to have this done? It hasn't been enough to drop either H or K from above average reliability in either CR or JDPower (now come the conspiracy theories about those publications) LOL.
As i said, it's ok, we'll just disagree.

I've known this guy for years and he is not telling a story at all. He could never pay for a dealer to replace an engine and he spent ten minutes telling me how much he likes his kia stinger loaner. He also went on and on telling me about how the sales staff wants his car on trade once its out of service.
That sorta sums up his priorities as if he honestly couldn't afford a simple oil change at a decent interval he surely can't afford Stinger maintenance which would be more involved than what he currently drives.

Covered under the lawsuit or not, for someone who has never changed their oil, they are very lucky to get a new engine courtesy of Kia. No money to change oil? Cry me a river, the U.S. is one of the cheapest places on earth to buy motor oil. The same people tend to be the ones who will spend $100 to dine out, but "don't have" $40 for an oil change.yep

Yep, they stop at Starbucks every day going to work for their $6.00 drink then tell people they don’t have any money for an oil change on their car.

Yep, they stop at Starbucks every day going to work for their $6.00 drink then tell people they don’t have any money for an oil change on their car.
Thats exactly why people dont have money for oil changes. They prioritize money in a way that there is non left for oil changes. No different than an addict spending money on dope instead of food, rent or other necessities.

Back