Kia Engine dies due to lack of oil changes

Figured I would share a quick story ya'll may find entertaining.
Last February I was chatting with a coworker about cars. He mentioned he had not done an oil change in his Kia Soul 2.0 in 15k or so miles. I asked why and said he was broke and dident have time. So I offered him to come over, browse my oil stash and we can knock it out for free. Bring a filter or we can just do a dump and fill, either is better than his current situation. Never took me up on the offer so I figured he got an oil change. At this point he was around 48k miles.
Last night on the phone I casually mentioned his Kia and lack of interest of taking care of it. He said, "its in the shop getting a new motor under warranty".
So basically, he said he went just over 20k on that oil change and only two more oil changes since then. At 96k his engine locked up and kia will be replacing it under their powertrain warranty.

My BIL had a KIA sedan a few years ago that the motor died due to some oiling issues. It was well out of warranty and not knowing better he paid out of pocket for a new motor. We all assumed the indy shop he took it to, to get cheap oil changes, were ripping him off and not changing oil. Well apparently there was a widespread issue with that motor that caused sludging and many motors blew up just like his. He ended up getting his money back years later by jumping in on a class action lawsuit brought against KIA.

"The new recalls were detailed in reports filed this week with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The problem is that metal debris wasn’t removed from the engine during manufacturing and that debris can clog oil passages, leading to engine failure. This can occur at highway speeds, although the automakers say they are not aware of any accidents linked to the defect.

Both Kia and Hyundai have been involved in class-action lawsuits over the defect."

Last edited:
Maybe he's pulling your leg.

Maybe a dealership with little to no inventory is wiling to stretch the truth to get a warranty claim to at least have some work for it's service staff.

If he shows up in the same car, he got someone to do something. Unless you also get a glance at his financials, you don't know if he really paid for it or not.

The way Kia/Hyundai is with aftermarket filters, & everything else on their (substandard) engines, I'm not buying it!
The engines are not substandard but we'll agree to disagree. I do believe the story because i've witnessed it first hand and posted the story a year or two ago.
People can buy them cheap, not change the oil because they "don't have the time" and then get a new engine. It's preposterous.
Here it is...

1626974925947.png

1626974970453.png
1626975000986.png
1626975024086.png
1626975041322.png
1626975060810.png

1626975077753.png

Last edited:
It could have failed for some other reason. What automaker replaces an engine under warranty if there's obvious signs of neglect or insufficient maintenance ?

With no documented maintenance, and I'm sure on visual internal inspection, it's obvious.

How is he getting warranty for that?
The class action lawsuit. As long as you have the knock sensor update done, you get a lifetime engine warranty (short block assembly).The check engine light will illuminate then start flashing which will reduce engine power and rpm (2K), at that point you take the car to any KIA dealer, who will scan the vehicle and notify KIA for a new small block. During the time the vehicle is down for service you also get a vehicle.

Last edited:
The class action lawsuit. As long as you have the knock sensor update done, you get a lifetime engine warranty (short block assembly).The check engine light will illuninate the start flashing which will reduce engine power and rpm (2K), at that point you take the car to any KIA dealer, who will scan the vehicle and notify KIA for a new small block. During the time the vehicle is down for service you also get a vehicle.
This^

Maybe he's pulling your leg.

Maybe a dealership with little to no inventory is wiling to stretch the truth to get a warranty claim to at least have some work for it's service staff.

If he shows up in the same car, he got someone to do something. Unless you also get a glance at his financials, you don't know if he really paid for it or not.

I've known this guy for years and he is not telling a story at all. He could never pay for a dealer to replace an engine and he spent ten minutes telling me how much he likes his kia stinger loaner. He also went on and on telling me about how the sales staff wants his car on trade once its out of service.

what's weirder is it takes 14 minutes to drop the oil & spin on a filter, about the same time to walk into the store to get the stuff to do it.
so this guy has probably spent more time talking about not getting his vehicle serviced than the time it takes to do it, + $22. for materials.
now he gets to spend more time chasing an approved engine swap. rinse & repeat.

KIA is not being generous or doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, this is a result of a settlement agreement in a lawsuit. KIA already got sued so the last thing they want is an accusation of bad faithin regards to the settlement. Yes a few folks will get an engine replaced that probably shouldn't but it's a whole lot cheaper to justreplace the engine than breach a settlement or defend against the accusation.

He's one lucky dude that Kia is covering it. I would have sent him packing, or at least fighting with corporate for an engine after looking under that valve cover. He would have had to prove to me the engine was maintained in accordance with the owner's manual.

Back