Kia 0w-20 OE fill 6k miles and subsequent PUP 6k miles; 2021 Kia Niro

So the great people at Pennzoil allowed me to participate in their UOA. The first was original oil fill (Quartz Ow20) in a 2021 KIA Niro with about 6k miles on the oil. The next change was with PUP Ow20 with a little over 6k miles on it. The original oil had alot of metals and contaminants which might be attributed to the car being new with break-in metals in the used sample. The PUP seemingly cleaned everything up. The two things that stuck out for me was the higher TBN on the PUP compared to the Quartz at the same OCI. Next was the mega wicked high Moly in the Quartz. Would this be a good example of why one should get the original oil fill out at, say 1k miles or so, and replace it? Just bought a 2022 KIA Niro for the kids and thinking about dumping the oil at 1 - 2k miles and filling with Mobil 1 (thanks to the massive miscalculation from the wonderful individual at Wally about a year ago)

Attachments

• Oil sample 1.jpg
    Oil sample 1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 121
  • Oil sample 2.jpg
    Oil sample 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:
In short, the answer to your question is "no".
First, it's an invalid comparison - apples to oranges. The engine's wear profile is completely different during breakin and those differences will mask any differences in the oils.
Second, it's wise to run the OEM oil as long as the manual says to (typically 3000 to 6000 miles), since it's under warranty and if you have any problems you don't want to give them an excuse to deny a claim or put you through the hassle of fighting it.
I ain't gonna get into engine breakin advice, cuz I don't have enough popcorn.

Toyota says first oil change after 10K miles.
when my truck was new and had 2 years free maintenance, dealer said if i wanted a 5K miles oil change, I had to wait till 10K miles ...
I said that doesn't make sense! If I want a 5K oil change and have to wait till 10K miles, then it won't be a 5K miles no more. No?
The service manager revised his statement and said if I want a 5K oil change, I will have to pay for it.
I said ok thank you very much, that makes more sense now.

In short, the answer to your question is "no".
First, it's an invalid comparison - apples to oranges. The engine's wear profile is completely different during breakin and those differences will mask any differences in the oils.
Second, it's wise to run the OEM oil as long as the manual says to (typically 3000 to 6000 miles), since it's under warranty and if you have any problems you don't want to give them an excuse to deny a claim or put you through the hassle of fighting it.
I ain't gonna get into engine breakin advice, cuz I don't have enough popcorn.
BS It won't hurt a thing to change the oil and the mfg will not care if you change the oil daily using the proper oil.

My son got a new Lexus that has a 10k OCI - he got two free changes and the dealer suggested the first at 5k and then start 10k OCI’s …

Here but that was back in 2006 when I bought new last.
How I see it anything can be in the oi along with assembly lub so I dump it.

So the great people at Pennzoil allowed me to participate in their UOA. The first was original oil fill (Quartz Ow20) in a 2021 KIA Niro with about 6k miles on the oil. The next change was with PUP Ow20 with a little over 6k miles on it. The original oil had alot of metals and contaminants which might be attributed to the car being new with break-in metals in the used sample. The PUP seemingly cleaned everything up. The two things that stuck out for me was the higher TBN on the PUP compared to the Quartz at the same OCI. Next was the mega wicked high Moly in the Quartz. Would this be a good example of why one should get the original oil fill out at, say 1k miles or so, and replace it? Just bought a 2022 KIA Niro for the kids and thinking about dumping the oil at 1 - 2k miles and filling with Mobil 1 (thanks to the massive miscalculation from the wonderful individual at Wally about a year ago) :cool:
I liked the pup higher vis on exit vs. the Quartz.

So the great people at Pennzoil allowed me to participate in their UOA. The first was original oil fill (Quartz Ow20) in a 2021 KIA Niro with about 6k miles on the oil. The next change was with PUP Ow20 with a little over 6k miles on it. The original oil had alot of metals and contaminants which might be attributed to the car being new with break-in metals in the used sample. The PUP seemingly cleaned everything up. The two things that stuck out for me was the higher TBN on the PUP compared to the Quartz at the same OCI. Next was the mega wicked high Moly in the Quartz. Would this be a good example of why one should get the original oil fill out at, say 1k miles or so, and replace it? Just bought a 2022 KIA Niro for the kids and thinking about dumping the oil at 1 - 2k miles and filling with Mobil 1 (thanks to the massive miscalculation from the wonderful individual at Wally about a year ago) :cool:

The wicked high moly is actually the reason manufacturers don't want you to dump it early. It's ether break-in oil (like Honda who warns against dropping it early) or high moly liquid assenbly lube which serves the same purpose. A lot of race engine builders pour EOS In an engine for run in for the same purpose.

First new vehicle here was a 1968 Chevy pickup and first change was done at 1000 miles. Most recent new veh change was 2016 Equinox at 3000. Even though there may not be any logic to short changes I feel better doing it. All rebuilds I`ve done get the first change after 20 minutes of 2000 rpm run then 1000 miles.

The only real way to attack this issue is with facts, which are scarce and far beyond the ability of any individual to test on their own.

I read a study of a city bus fleet in California. They did early changes on some new buses, and the recommended 1st OCI on others. Over years they tracked repair costs/events. They found the early break-in units had fewer incidents later, and it was a significant benefit to do an early OC. this was of course vehicles in constant use and going into the 100's of thousands of miles over years. IIRC, it also included transmissions, too. Unfortunately, I do not have the link to the study and I can't find it now. It would depend upon your horizon of ownership and your dedication to best practices that might not show up in your ownership period.

Personally on any new engine, I would change the oil after 500 miles or the equivalent hours (15, say).

The wicked high moly is actually the reason manufacturers don't want you to dump it early. It's ether break-in oil (like Honda who warns against dropping it early) or high moly liquid assenbly lube which serves the same purpose. A lot of race engine builders pour EOS In an engine for run in for the same purpose.
Oh man, I wasn't aware of Honda's stance on dumping break in oil. From my research it sounded like it was the same oil as off the shelf at the dealer and couldn't find anything to discourage me from an early OC at 2400. I found a lot of general advice on wear metals floating around and the like.

1st official oil change was at 8392 miles using Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic. Moly is indeed super high. Even have some barium, possibly from assembly lube?

What damage or lack thereof could the engine have suffered in this case? 21 Honda Pilot 3.5l

Honda Oil Analysis.JPG

1st official oil change was at 8392 miles using Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic.

What damage or lack thereof could the engine have suffered in this case? 21 Honda Pilot 3.5

Really don't think you can hurt your engine by changing the oil and using the manufacturer's recommended oil.

Oh man, I wasn't aware of Honda's stance on dumping break in oil. From my research it sounded like it was the same oil as off the shelf at the dealer and couldn't find anything to discourage me from an early OC at 2400. I found a lot of general advice on wear metals floating around and the like.

1st official oil change was at 8392 miles using Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic. Moly is indeed super high. Even have some barium, possibly from assembly lube?

What damage or lack thereof could the engine have suffered in this case? 21 Honda Pilot 3.5l

View attachment 91124

2400 miles was likely plenty The extra Moly is there for want of a better way of putting it alllow a more refined wearing in of surfaces. It theoretically should allow for less loss of material as the surfaces wear in. Modern engines are put together so clean the traditional 500 mi breakin oil change is simply not required any more.

View attachment 91124
The high moly is not a special break in oil, that is just the standard MFRS. oil.Toyota synthetic has high moly as does Mazda and a few others.

Back