Khumo Solus KL21 tires - not impressed

I bought a used RX350 last year; the previous (only) owner had put a new set of Khumo Solus KL21 tires on it right before she sold it. Nubs still on the tread....

I've put 28,000 miles on these tires. Religiously rotated and balanced the first 25k miles, every 5k miles. Wear is extremely even, but the tires will be worn out before 40k miles on them. I've never seen tires wear out like this, but I only buy Michelins generally.

This is insane. 90% highway miles, rotated, balanced, air pressure all maintained. I've even had 2 alignments done in this period, the car has never pulled to one side.

And have you seen the price of decent tires today? I'm looking at $300+ each for decent tires....

I bought a used RX350 last year; the previous (only) owner had put a new set of Khumo Solus KL21 tires on it right before she sold it. Nubs still on the tread....

I've put 28,000 miles on these tires. Religiously rotated and balanced the first 25k miles, every 5k miles. Wear is extremely even, but the tires will be worn out before 40k miles on them. I've never seen tires wear out like this, but I only buy Michelins generally.

This is insane. 90% highway miles, rotated, balanced, air pressure all maintained. I've even had 2 alignments done in this period, the car has never pulled to one side.

And have you seen the price of decent tires today? I'm looking at $300+ each for decent tires....
The UTQG is 500, and you'll about 40k out of them. That's actually pretty good.

Some cars wear tires out faster.

You can always buy something with a UTQG wear rating of 700 or higher for longer lasting tires.

And I see it's been posted on TireRack.

1655910331264.png

Just get a set of Michelin Defenders and you'll get higher wear ratings (820 for the passenger car version and 720 for the light truck version of the 235/60r18 tires), or check Costco for the Costco branded Michelin Defenders

Look up some CUV/Passenger car tires in 255/55/19 and let me know what you find for Michelin/Toyo/Continental
From TireRack:
Michelin Premier LTX: $254.99
Michelin Latitude Tour HP: $314.47 (overpriced for a lackluster tire)
Continental Crosscontact LX Sport: $245.98 or $248.05
Continental 4x4 Contact: $223.27
Michelin CrossClimate 2: $271.99
Toyo Celsius Sport: $267.30 (it's Toyo's newest all-weather tire)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/3: $302.59 (Porsche spec)

It's not a popular size. The 20" tires on my Highlander costs less for the same available tire models

Plus, since you want a Premium brand of tires, you have to pay premium prices.

If you want to cheap out and pay less than $200 per tire, then wait for a good sale, or buy Chinese tires. DTT has Nankang Cross Sport SP-9 for $172

255/55/19

I keep them at 38-40 psi

maybe you can get 18" take-offs from the base model and use 18 inch tires :unsure:

There are lots of interesting tire choices in the 18" size for the RX350, 235/60-18
Tire Rack actually has the Nokian Encompass in that size (in fact, that is the only Nokian tire that TR carries)
there's also the Toyo Celsius Sport

I'm not sure if anything smaller than 18 will fir on your RX350

I looked at those the last time I was at Wally, the look like a nice tire and the reviews are really good for what ever that's worth but they only start out at 9/32 in my size 225/60R16 but for $72 I will keep them in mind when the time comes.

expensive Michelins often have only 9/32 too, but they don't have the low price of Douglas :sneaky:

Back