KFX450R 3hrs Ipone 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm an oil geek, I admit it, and what better place to be an oil geek than mechanicing on our 4 racing 4-wheelers? I recently bought a 4L jug of Ipone Stroke Racing 0w40. Yeah, I know, I needed it like a heart attack, but the holy grail is always just two oil samples away so I keep looking.

So the bottom line is; this oil doesn't seem to be anything special and certainly isn't worth the price. As an aside, this engine has been raced for most of the 89 hours it has on it's clock and continues to look great. Truth be told, I've only had to adjust the valves once. Kudos to Kawasaki for building a powerful, reliable racing engine.

So what you run normally in that & the ktm motor? For that price id run royal purple lol
have 2 kfx 2 canams had ktm the kfx wasn't bad stock got a XC stroker motor built for yokely, by pro circuit / Chris Grissom if you are looking for a great xc motor lol

I ran Torco T4MXR for a long time in all my race quads then decided that it was too expensive for a semi-syn. Worked great, average wear metals compared to full syn stuff but it lost viscosity badly, I have tested it at a 20wt after a race weekend before. The two right-hand columns above are Torco, the third from right is Elf 5w40 and then the Ipone on the left.

I have another jug of the Ipone to go through and then it's probably back to the Elf 5w40 for the KFX until I use it all up. On the KTM engine, it doesn't seem to mind. I ran Amsoil Moto 10w40 in it for a long time with good results, my daughter that races it now prefers the Xado Moto 10w40 for shift quality through the race but I've not tested it. I bought a case of Elf ATV4Power 10w50 for it and only run it for one race. My duaghter declared it nothing special and asked for the Xado back.

I usually cannot control my oil OCD and will try most anything that strikes my fancy. I have had the best UOAs with Amsoil I believe and should probably just run that, but the sickness overcomes me and I stray from the path often.

No need for an engine with more power. This KFX is raced by my 16 year old daughter, it is piped, new intake and tuned and it is all she can handle.

chris,

yeah not that impressive for whatever price it was.

is that quad a carb or efi?

i really would like to see a report with no fuel.

not a bad report, but probably not anywhere worth the price of it.
especially for 3hrs.

steve

It' an efi quad. My oil change routine is probably responsible for the fuel, but it works for me so I take it into account. I ride it a lap or so around the block and then change the oil, not enough to get the oil up to temp good. I figure the efi richens the mixture until the engine is fully warm. I don't see fuel in my other quads following the same procedure, I think it is unique to the KFX.

Yeah, this is supposed to be an ester oil so I thought I'd give it a try. The KFX engines are notoriously hard to start when cold. The 0 weight peaked my interest, and, it does start better now, but not that much better than a 5w40 or a 10w40.

I was hoping for more, didn't get it, will move on when I run through what I have.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
im testing M1 0w40
i need a race to finish my testing of it.

Should be good. What series do you run? We're on winter off-season right now. We run TORN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back