keyboard spacebar and esc button button not workin

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6 yr old sony vaio keyboard that came with my sony vaio space bar and escape button is not working. My wife frequently eats her meals over this thing. I occasionally have to shake all the crumbs out of it.
LOL.gif

is this thing salvageable? a few weeks ago, the spacebar was hard to push, but then it got easier, after I shook the beejezus out of it. now when you push it, nothing. same thing with the escape button. I see that there are plenty of screws on the back of it and I'm about to take it apart. I'm using a ten year old sony vaio keyboard in it's place. As you can tell, I like to hoard things..
grin2.gif

I use an old IBM 42H1292 keyboard made in the United Kingdom in Greenock Scotland.

The keys make a clicking sound when you press them.

Have it for countless years and love it.

Haven't seen one like it in many years.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I use an old IBM 42H1292 keyboard made in the United Kingdom in Greenock Scotland.

The keys make a clicking sound when you press them.

Have it for countless years and love it.

Haven't seen one like it in many years.

I think I know what your talking about. I had an old IBM keyboard from 1996 that made the same clicking noise and was working just fine when I recycled it with my IBM aptiva last year. I used that keyboard like a maniac. tons of research papers typed on that old IBM keyboard when I was in college. I should have kept it. only reason why I recycled it was because I never had a problem with a keyboard before. blush:

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Put it in the dishwasher and select the "Sanitize" option!
LOL.gif

I thought of it. They make keyboards that are "dishwasher safe" but what do I have left to loose?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Put it in the dishwasher and select the "Sanitize" option!
LOL.gif

I thought of it. They make keyboards that are "dishwasher safe" but what do I have left to loose?
grin2.gif

Try splitting the top and bottom apart.

Last time I had a keyboard that got too disgusting for me, I took it apart. All the electronics stayed with the bottom 1/2 and were easy to wipe down. All the keys and 90% of the grunge stayed with the top 1/2 and went through the dishwasher without a problem. It worked and looked like new after that.

I went ahead and took the keyboard apart in the name of science. I even pushed the space bar pink button without the keyboard top. it still didn't work. I see that there is a black mark on the sheath of this keyboard around the pink space bar button. It looks like the space bar short circuited. Dishwashing isn't going to help this one.
wink.gif

spacebar1.jpg

spacebar2.jpg

spacebar3.jpg

A few minutes spent with some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol can get keys unstuck. Is there anything grungy plugging up the space button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back