Keyboard ...... How Often Do You Clean It

My keyboard is about due for a cleaning . The last time I cleaned it I removed the keys which is quite a job . How well do you guys clean yours ?

Soft shoe brush, gets all the nooks and crannys, quit eating at your computer. :LOL:

I used to run keyboards through the dishwasher, no detergent. Cleaned them up nicely. Let them dry for 24 hours, they'd work fine.

Only had this process kill one keyboard, and when I took it apart it was badly corroded inside. I think it was a keyboard that had been used near a swimming pool. So that keyboard was on borrowed time anyway.

My keyboard is about due for a cleaning . The last time I cleaned it I removed the keys which is quite a job . How well do you guys clean yours ?
I purchased an adapter with small brushes for detailing and vacuuming.

Clean mine every few weeks. I do throw mine out every year as is snagged 20 when an office closed up , laid me off and IT guy helped me take my stuff out and dumped equipment into my trunk years back . He was designated to purge it and choose that path.

Every couple months. I just tap it out monthly.

I have a mechanical keyboard, so a deep cleaning is not as easy

My personal computer is a MacBook Pro with the problematic butterfly keyboard (from 2018). I got a warranty replacement keyboard installed three years ago due to a few sticking keys, and it's been good ever since (knock on wood). I'm pretty careful about eating near it, due to that design, but otherwise just give it a wipe down with a damp cloth every once in a while.

Work issues us cheap Logitechs, which seem reasonably durable. I give that a periodic wipe-down/tap-out when I'm cleaning my desk. I do eat lunch there, so that definitely impacts its cleanliness more than anything else (if it's visibly dirty, it gets cleaned for sure).

I turn it upside down and lightly blow into it with my air nozzle. But lightly not lay the lever down and some keys off. Works fine. I'll then wipe it with an alcohol wipe

I have a Razer with mechanical switches. Once a week I vacuum the keyboard and then I wipe it down with antibacterial wipes. Then I wrap a wipe around a toothpick and wipe between the keys. A few weeks ago I had to replace a dead LED (lighted keys) and to do so I had to pop a couple of keys out. I didn't see any live maggots, dead bugs or mold growth etc. 😫

clean...keyboard....
giphy.gif

clean...keyboard....
giphy.gif
Occasionally I have tap out stuff that has fallen in, but clean? letters have worn off, but otherwise…

Now mice are a different story, darn thing has been gunking up lately.

When it becomes dusty lol.

But apparently my users don't wipe theirs down enough.....

It's not the dust, it the gunk lol.
Still get ptsd vibes handling nasty video game controllers.

What I do for normal keyboards as well as laptops:

Household vacuum cleaner with the "thin" sucker attachment. Hold close to the keyboard.
Brush the keyboard with a long-bristled brush such as a paint brush, getting down in between the keys to dislodge the inevitable crumbs of life. The vacuum should take it all away.
Finish up with a damp, thin cloth. Wet the cloth and squeeze super well to have no drips. Then wipe the keys, trying to get to the "in-between" spaces. Wipe the rest of the keyboard casing.
In the event of sticky keys from drink drips, those affected keys are pulled off and the interior wiped with that damp cloth. Then keys are reassembled. I try to avoid this except where absolutely necessary as I have found that the keys tend to start failing when pulled off and put back on a number of times. Some keyboards are built to allow disassemble/reassemble and should be free to do nice, deep cleaning.

Back