Keurig takes a page from the printer industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is their right to do this, and it is also my right not to buy into it.

I have a Keurig that is almost 6 years old. We thought it was on its way out and bought another (not a 2.0) a few months back. Got a couple tips and kept the old one working so no need for the new one yet. But I'll hang on to it and will be able to not have to worry about whether my kcup has a chip or ink on it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You can make a single cup using any espresso machine. Granted, it may require one or two extra steps (nothing elaborate), but it's a lot cheaper on a per cup basis, and a lot better tasting, too.

Yeah, a single or a double is your choice. Also, a normal or a stronger coffee is also your choice.

The extra steps and time to make a good cup is worth it to me, since I drink only 1 cup a day an extra 2-3 minute to prepare a good cup of cappuccino is the time I'm will to spend.

I would not drink any Keurig coffee even if I got paid to drink it.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
For starters, it's much less expensive to make a single cup on occasion than it is to make an entire pot. And as far as waste, I use San Francisco Bay coffee that is not only much less expensive than most, but most of the materials of the K cup are biodegradable. To top it off I'm not using the electricity to heat an entire pot of coffee and keep the carafe hot for an hour or more. So your your waste comment is pure and simple ignorance, nothing more.

And since taste and flavor are subjective, that portion of your comment is also irrelevant.

Almost any home use coffee maker can brew a single cup, there is no restriction about you have to make a whole pot.

Considering the quantity of the these cups out in the market, the waste is huge as not a lot of people recycle them. The recycling company at work will not take them in any form. There is an island of floating plastic the size of California in the middle of the pacific...tiny Keurig cups, I'm sure.
crazy.gif

On the topic of Coffee (yes, capitalized to express it's place feeding my caffeine addiction): We have an ancient Black & Decker 8 cup stainless carafe maker that won't die. It started to turn off prematurely at one point, but because there was no time to buy a new one i popped the bottom cover and discovered the temperature switch that sits against the heating element had all its heat-sink paste dried up. I reapplied it in desperation to get my fix and it is still working a couple of years after that. the only down side to it is that the cup size must 6oz or so. Fine when there are just two of us drinking, but when guests come over we need to make repeated pots to keep up.

I use a pour-over.
Boil, grind, pour, drink.
K-cups are for people who don't like coffee...same goes for Starbucks...mostly.

I use coffee pods, about 60% the cost of K-cups. I use an older Bunn my cafe, but consumer ratings on the newer Bunn pod coffee machine are good.
Pods have less waste than K-cups as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PLQ5H2/?tag...sl_8ukkiv2rn6_b

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A2251595011%2Ck%3Acoffee+pods&keywords=coffee+pods&ie=UTF8&qid=1418408784&rnid=1063498

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: spasm3

TI came out with a home computer in the 1981. It had a lot of memory for the time. One of the first to have plug and play. Lots of expandability at that time. TI chose to not license anyone to make anything for it. They wanted the whole ball of wax. It failed and went under. TI might be in the computer business today if they had let others produce for that system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A

Not true at all. I owned one of them from the 80's up until last year when a flood took it out.

TI may not have licensed it but there were plenty of perhiperals for it from 3rd parties. I had a CorComp 360k disk controller card, Myarc RS232/Parallel port card all sitting in the PE Box. Someone even combined the PE box functions into a sidecar unit that put the 32k memory, I/O, and something else into the sidecar.

There was also 3rd party cartridges available for it - Atari ported a few of their arcade games (I had Pole Position) and they were different others as well. Yes, some got locked out in later versions but there was a lot of 3rd party stuff...

Fun fact: Microsoft wrote Miltiplan for the TI-99/4A.

I loved mine - it was my first computer and a surprisingly capable machine!

I had one as well, it was a need machine at the time. TI did not permit 3rd party licensing until much later After it lost market share.

I could see the same happen to keurrig , if they continue this with all their machines.

Last edited:
I do pour-overs too, exclusively. And I love coffee. But I also like Starbucks, at least some of it. What does that mean for me
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
I use a pour-over.
Boil, grind, pour, drink.
K-cups are for people who don't like coffee...same goes for Starbucks...mostly.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I find it reprehensible that a coffee maker company would limit their coffee maker to their own coffee.

I have an older Keurig that I can use with any brand of K-cup. If something were to happen to it, I would not purchase a Keurig that would not allow me (without some bizarre "hack") to use my choice of coffee.

I understand the business model, but I don't agree with it and won't support it. And a quick search for reviews of the Keurig 2.0 system shows that I'm not alone.

I find it unbelievable anyone would use a K-cup machine and generate so much waste to begin with with [censored] tasting coffee for the price.

For starters, it's much less expensive to make a single cup on occasion than it is to make an entire pot. And as far as waste, I use San Francisco Bay coffee that is not only much less expensive than most, but most of the materials of the K cup are biodegradable. To top it off I'm not using the electricity to heat an entire pot of coffee and keep the carafe hot for an hour or more. So your your waste comment is pure and simple ignorance, nothing more.

And since taste and flavor are subjective, that portion of your comment is also irrelevant.

Do you actually compost the K-cups? Believe me nothing decomposes when buried in a landfill. On the surface it does however once in it I have read newspapers clear as day from the 1940's and 1950's in landfill closures I was a resident engineer on.

The taste is terrible for $20-$30/pound coffee you are drinking.

This is the biodegradable K-cup, even the plastic ring is made to be biodegradable. I've used them, they work well and make a tasty cup of coffee!

coffee-sfbay-onecup-12ct-fog-chaser-single.jpg

Coffee taste is definitely subjective of what people like as evidenced by coffee chains and specialty shops etc.

The K-cups are a convenience with a price. For single cups you can use a very small coffee maker(I do) that makes incredible coffee for the $15 I spent at target on it.

I get access to some amazing coffee from all over the world(Itay, Africa, South America) from a friend in the merchant marine who gives it to me for watching his place.

I can see that it works for low volume coffee for the "upscale" feel and convenience at home. You do not have to grind and pack and clean up of espresso or coffee maker. It just doesn't make sense for workplace where coffee is brewed 12 cups at a time, or at home where people are cost conscious. It is probably cheaper to brew 4 cups at a time and throw away more grinds and water than 1 K cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back