Kendall GT-1 (Made in Korea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav

Hi guys,
Was just looking at the bottle and found that the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic oil is Made in Korea (Packaged in the US).

I wasn't worried. I know any oil that meets the GF-4 and SM spec should be a good oil. It's just that I had neve seen an oil made outside the US till now.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Conoco Phillips uses Korean Group III base stock. Nothing wrong with it.

Wow, never knew Motorcraft used Korean base stock!
cool.gif

I guess might be coz I only used SOPUS and Ashland products and all their basestock are domestic.

I was under the impression that CP purchased their Group II oil from Korea. Not sure about their Group III. Is that from Korea also? Of course I'm assuming Kendall's "synthetic" is Group III.

The UOA's of CP's Motorcraft and their other synthetic blend oils have consistantly produced really good results, especially for the cost of the oil. If they are producing the base stock of Group III for CP that will hopefully provide the same good UOA's as their blends. It's not just the base oil stock but also the blending of the oil additives that make a great oil.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Hav
I guess might be coz I only used SOPUS and Ashland products and all their basestock are domestic.

That may not be true in the case of Ashland. According to the 2008 annual report (released spring of 2009):

"Additives (from key suppliers such as Lubrizol Corporation) and base oils (from key suppliers such as Motiva Enterprises LLC) constitute a large portion of the raw materials required to manufacture Valvoline’s products."

According to the Motiva website:
http://www.motivaenterprises.com/
"Motiva Enterprises LLC is joint venture between Shell and Saudi Refining Inc that refines, distributes, and markets oil products in the eastern and southern U.S."

That also casts into doubt (although not conclusively) the source of SOPUS (Shell Oil) feedstocks (crude oil).

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Conoco Phillips uses Korean Group III base stock. Nothing wrong with it.

+1

So will Korean Kendall be the next German Castrol? Tune in next week for the latest episode of As The Oil Flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back