Kendall 10w30 soup / 1500 mi Subaru winter oil mix / newbie uoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mostly Kendall gt-1 10w30 soup, 1500 mi Subaru winter oil mix.

MOO/Oil: 1500mi. / approx 3qt 10w-30 Kendall dino + 1 qt M1ss 15w50 + additives
Dates: OC/Sample 30.9.2003 / 1.2.2004
Engine/MOE: subaru 1.8l, ej18 / 114,000 mi
Lab / Data: mtm industrial
Al 1
Chr 0
Cu 4
Fe 0
Pb 2
Tin 0
Si 5
K 0
Na 12
Mo 205
Water 0.2

Properties of the soup:
Oxid less than 2
Vis@100 11.8
Nitration 2.7

Glyc not detected
Fuel 3.6

--those are all the numbers--

I couldn't handle the low rate of UOA's here so I finally sent in my first sample ever last week; the oil only has 1500 miles on and is four months old. This is my first UOA and this now officially makes me a BITOG oil addict.

Since this is a new car to me (Impreza bought at ~110K) I was mainly worried about some disaster like coolant in oil. I was also worried about high wear due to other causes such as short trips and winter conditions, but this worry luckily turned out to be those from a hypochondriac-like oilhead, except for the fuel detected, 3.6%. I was very happy that no wear was detected at all, although realistically this is probably due to uncertainties in instrumentation; but very low wear apparently. Na might be high from additives I dumped in the mix. No glycol detected and just a trace of Silicon.

Re additives and the Kendall soup:
Contains an effective net estimated 1/2 to 3/4 bottle of molyslip added after oil change, and ~1/2 bottle of kmart STP clone shortly before sampling at 1500 mi which I hoped would add zinc to the soup. The reason for the uncertainty in amount of molyslip (mr. moly) is that I drained approx 1 qt of the Kendall dino (after adding mr. moly) 100 to 300 mi into the OCI in order to thicken the viscosity with 1 qt of M1 15w50 and in order to do a visual inspection of the oil. (Yeah, it's complicated and these are all possible symptoms of an oil hypochondriac.) Considering one would expect 800-900 ppm moly from a full dose of mr. moly & about 4 to 5 ppm FE according to a prev post (do a search on molyslip in the VOA board), I think these are some possibilities or contributing factors:
a.) stuff settled at bottom, drained when draining 1 to 1.5 qts of 10w30 which i replaced with 15w50, hence may have gotten rid of most of the molyslip.
b.) lab instrumentation saturation or error in sampling the moly
c.) molyslip reformulated their product; the previous product did seem to be overkill regarding the moly levels--if so this is unfortunate, I was hoping that can i have left over would last me for 4 OCI's judging from the VOA on molyslip.

I plan to sample this again at a higher mileage, 3000 to 4000 mi so that one can make better sense of the wear numbers (which I assume are +- one two, or three ppms perhaps.) Once I get a background idea on wear patterns with another 2 UOAs, I can move on to a fuller spectrum UOA, like Blackstone.

Oh, another thing, when I sampled the oil in the white plastic container and did a visual inspection I was slightly worried about the tan/camoflage green tint of the oil. I suppose this is due to the moly and all the other gunk, luckily not coolant.

Also, the Mobil 1 is doing a good job keeping the viscosity up despite fuel contamination plus the cold weather is going away; current oil should be good for at least another 2K in my opinion.

[ February 09, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: giant_robo ]

Yes Al, I tend to agree with you somewhat, though I'm not sure it requires immediate action. I don' t drive much and I think I will wait until end of the winter at least. Viscosity is still in grade too.

I do do lot's of short trips, and or course the winter temps add to the high fuel number. My driving style also has something to do with it, too, probably. I tend to lug the engine and try to get optimal mpg's while driving in town. Plus I m somewhat new to driving manuals regularly, so I am not always in the right gear. Thicker oil might prevent fuel-air blowby, I'll put in 15w40 in for the summer oil when we start to have warmer weather in springtime.

Viscosity is still in the high end for a 10w30, due to the qt of 15w-50 I added. So as long as it's in grade shouldn't the fuel dilution be only a minor problem?

Also, if I go for some longer trips, the fuel will start to evaporate from the hot oil.

The lab guide had this to say about fuel dilution:

"Fuel dilution: measured in % vol, can indicate faulty combustion, rich air/fuel mixture when present at between 2% to 5% (I lie smack in the middle). An injector problem or internal fuel line leak is typically indicated when fuel is detected at high levels."

Maybe I should also run a fuel inj cleaner add sometime.

In the comments pertaining to my particular UOA:
"All engine wear rates normal. Sample appears free of external contamination. Trace level of fuel detected."

[ February 09, 2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: giant_robo ]

don't smoke with oil filler off....on second thought don't smoke...

1500 miles is way too soon to comment. Nice writing and good details, no offense, but it just seems like a lot of work...I guess I'm the same way.

All these Mobil 1 UOA's are getting boring. Thanks for throwing some ZDDP in there, although it might be a bit thick for winter.

Don't know if I'd believe in the approach but at least it's more interesting. Keep testing and let us know what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back