Keeping Honda AT happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that some older Honda 5 speed automatics were problematic, and the track record for Honda automatics hasn't been stellar. I've got a 2008 CR-V with the 5 speed auto, and plan on keeping it for a while. I tow a pop-up camper occasionally, and keep it in D3 on the hills like the manual says to while towing. Personally, I wish it had an autostick like Subaru, Hyundai, and other manufacturers do, but that's me. I did one drain and fill using Z1 at 15,000 miles, and plan to do it again at 30,000. Nothing remarkable at the first drain and fill, the fluid was still bright red. Other than doing drain and fills frequently, and maybe replacing the in-line filter at some point, is there anything else to keep in mind to keep it happy? I do wish Honda had the grade logic figured out well enough to apply it to the torque converter as well as the gears; going up hills on the highway even without towing it can't seem to make up its mind whether to keep the torque converter locked or not. I'm sure habitually locking and unlocking the TC on a hill is good for longevity (not).

Have you installed a cooler yet? I would advise you do if towing.

I have not had a single issue with my '99 Accord 4cyl auto. The grade logic works just as it should, it never hunts.

Originally Posted By: paul246

I have not had a single issue with my '99 Accord 4cyl auto.

the 4 cylinder autos weren't the problem, it was the v-6 autos.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

Very true. You hear of very few issues with Honda 5spd AT + 4cyl combos. For what ever reason the CRV AT doesn't list/show a filter like the Civic and Accord in-line filter or the Ody/Pilot/Ridgeline internal one, so 15Kmi partial drain/fills would be the best plan IMO.
14SWA7_ATM07.gif

Joel

I did a few D&F about 10k to put in AMSoil ATF and have not touched it at 40k. By 50k I'll do another, maybe every 20-30k from then.

BuickGN- Does the sensor replacement apply to the 99 and up TL's? I had my trans replaced at 90K and am now at 125. Flushed with amsoil because of strange shift characteristics. Its better now, but still not what it should be.

No, it was in my 99 TL that the trans went out and was replaced by the acura dealer. My camry only has 45K on it. I would be totally [censored] if that trans went out!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: caravanmike

Very true. You hear of very few issues with Honda 5spd AT + 4cyl combos. For what ever reason the CRV AT doesn't list/show a filter like the Civic and Accord in-line filter or the Ody/Pilot/Ridgeline internal one, so 15Kmi partial drain/fills would be the best plan IMO.
14SWA7_ATM07.gif

Joel

I think you might be looking at an older CR-V diagram. It is true that the '98-'06 ATs didn't have filters, but the '07 and newer CR-Vs have a filter. I found it in one the cooler lines.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Try this for when your car hits the 60,000 mile mark.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721508

very interesting. but I wonder if that is really the cause then why wouldn't honda just replace those sensors instead of installing the oil jet kit as a fix ?

The oil jet kit was for the second gear lube issue, I think. This fixes the third gear failures.

Improving the product ..one gear at a time. Then again, I guess if 2nd gear failed routinely, it never exposed the 3rd gear issue.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Improving the product ..one gear at a time. Then again, I guess if 2nd gear failed routinely, it never exposed the 3rd gear issue.

Sad but true. Second had insufficient lube to the gears which resulted in chipping and possible locked wheels. That was solve quite a while ago.

Then came the issue with the burning third gear clutches. The reason I got was insufficient clutch capacity which I was fine with until I saw one of these torn down. It has more clutches and more area than my GN. That's when I figured out the electronics were causing 3rd to burn up and most of the TCC shudder issues.

thanks to BuickGN, it's a definitely a good read. since i had a 2004 tsx and had worry about the 5AT, this is very interesting (refreshing). my question here is, did acura did a major change on the design of 5AT from 2001-2003 TL, or the 5AT on 3G TL only received a minor update to address lubrication issue (and the design remain throughout 3G TL production)?

Yes. This was premium info. You've got to love the information age!

Where's The Critic?? I think I heard him spouting off that Honda/Acura 5AT's were to be written off and there was nothing to do about ...waste of money...blah..blah.

Time for him to take some medicine
grin2.gif
(all in fun
45.gif
)

Where's The Critic?? I think I heard him spouting off that Honda/Acura 5AT's were to be written off and there was nothing to do about ...waste of money...blah..blah.

grin2.gif
(all in fun
45.gif
)

He is against this fix.
shocked2.gif

To the poster above, I know they redesigned the lube circuit for better lube to second gear without the oil jet kit. I believe this started in '04 but I'm far from a Honda guru. These third generation TLs are starting to show the same third gear failures as the 2nd gen as the miles are put on them. So far, no 2nd gear failures that I know of. Mine was getting very sloppy for a while so much that I would lift off the gas to let it upshift and then get back on it. Now it's like new again.

He is against this fix.
shocked2.gif

No. I don't think he knows about it and just thought "that's it" on the subject.

(still all in fun- I LOVE YOU CRITIC!!
thankyou2.gif
)
I've told him to go out RIGHT NOW and make his first million ..while he still knows it all. You get less intelligent as you age. We need continuing education.
LOL.gif

grin2.gif
(all in fun
45.gif
)

He is against this fix.
shocked2.gif

To the poster above, I know they redesigned the lube circuit for better lube to second gear without the oil jet kit. I believe this started in '04 but I'm far from a Honda guru. These third generation TLs are starting to show the same third gear failures as the 2nd gen as the miles are put on them. So far, no 2nd gear failures that I know of. Mine was getting very sloppy for a while so much that I would lift off the gas to let it upshift and then get back on it. Now it's like new again.

thanks, do you know any case this is also affecting re-designed 5AT on J35/J37 (new MDX, Odyssey, Pilot, and RL). i also wonder shall i change sensor on my TSX.

Buick GN: I'm not clear. WOuld the info you referenced apply to the 2000 Accord V6 4AT? I've read two of the 8 Acurazine pages and it's not clear to me yet that the pressure swx deal applies to transmissions from the '00 era. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back