Keeping Honda AT happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Buick GN: I'm not clear. WOuld the info you referenced apply to the 2000 Accord V6 4AT? I've read two of the 8 Acurazine pages and it's not clear to me yet that the pressure swx deal applies to transmissions from the '00 era. Thanks!

I'm honestly not sure. If your trans uses the same part numbers, I would expect them to fail similarly.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes. This was premium info. You've got to love the information age!

Where's The Critic?? I think I heard him spouting off that Honda/Acura 5AT's were to be written off and there was nothing to do about ...waste of money...blah..blah.

Time for him to take some medicine
grin2.gif
(all in fun
45.gif
)

He is against this fix.
shocked2.gif

To the poster above, I know they redesigned the lube circuit for better lube to second gear without the oil jet kit. I believe this started in '04 but I'm far from a Honda guru. These third generation TLs are starting to show the same third gear failures as the 2nd gen as the miles are put on them. So far, no 2nd gear failures that I know of. Mine was getting very sloppy for a while so much that I would lift off the gas to let it upshift and then get back on it. Now it's like new again.

thanks, do you know any case this is also affecting re-designed 5AT on J35/J37 (new MDX, Odyssey, Pilot, and RL). i also wonder shall i change sensor on my TSX.

That's another question people have been asking over there and no one has answered it yet. So far I've seen no complaints of trans problems with the new unit but it may be too young to know yet. If your TSX uses the same sensors it's not a bad idea though I wouldn't do it until you start noticing some shift quality issues.

I got through the entire 8 pages of the Acura thing and it appears to be applicable to the 5-speeds only, Further,I checked my manual and my era of trans has sensors on 2nd and 3rd, not 3rd and 4th. The one thing I have not checked are the part numbers. I have had no symptoms on the car that I noticed but will be fine-tuned the next time I drive the car thanks to this interesting thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I got through the entire 8 pages of the Acura thing and it appears to be applicable to the 5-speeds only, Further,I checked my manual and my era of trans has sensors on 2nd and 3rd, not 3rd and 4th. The one thing I have not checked are the part numbers. I have had no symptoms on the car that I noticed but will be fine-tuned the next time I drive the car thanks to this interesting thread.

You're lucky. Sometimes I wish I had a good old vacuum modulator or TV cable to control shifts. The electronics are ok when they work but I much prefer the old stuff.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: paul246

I have not had a single issue with my '99 Accord 4cyl auto.

the 4 cylinder autos weren't the problem, it was the v-6 autos.

Good to hear because I too have an '08 CR-V AWD auto trans that I plan on keeping till it is a rust bucket!

Originally Posted By: gogozy
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes. This was premium info. You've got to love the information age!

Where's The Critic?? I think I heard him spouting off that Honda/Acura 5AT's were to be written off and there was nothing to do about ...waste of money...blah..blah.

Time for him to take some medicine
grin2.gif
(all in fun
45.gif
)

He is against this fix.
shocked2.gif

To the poster above, I know they redesigned the lube circuit for better lube to second gear without the oil jet kit. I believe this started in '04 but I'm far from a Honda guru. These third generation TLs are starting to show the same third gear failures as the 2nd gen as the miles are put on them. So far, no 2nd gear failures that I know of. Mine was getting very sloppy for a while so much that I would lift off the gas to let it upshift and then get back on it. Now it's like new again.

thanks, do you know any case this is also affecting re-designed 5AT on J35/J37 (new MDX, Odyssey, Pilot, and RL). i also wonder shall i change sensor on my TSX.

That's another question people have been asking over there and no one has answered it yet. So far I've seen no complaints of trans problems with the new unit but it may be too young to know yet. If your TSX uses the same sensors it's not a bad idea though I wouldn't do it until you start noticing some shift quality issues.

(sorry for edit, quote wrong post on last one)
thanks, this is great info!! i spend some time on acura parts and found that TSX does not share these ATF pressure sensor with TL which is good news to me. look like Honda start using those part from 2003 (2004 model year)on v6 5AT model, i also found 2007-2009 MDX and the RL are sharing these same parts with 3G TL, so it's likely other J series are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back