Keeping an eye on the quick lubes thoughts on OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.noln.net/columns/9-05/features/intervals.htm

Snip" Remember the good old days? You know, back when keeping tabs of recommended oil change intervals on vehicles was easy. Back then, just about everyone stuck to a standard 3,000-mile oil change, regardless of driving conditions.

These days, it’s a bit more complicated. Actually, it’s a lot more complicated. It seems as if almost every automaker in the world decided to go with their own recommended maintenance intervals, leaving the automotive landscape a hodgepodge of recommendations guaranteed to befuddle just about anyone in the automotive service business. And let’s not even wonder how it confuses the driving public." Snip....

Quotes liek these certaintly illustrate who the article is written for -

Though a widespread study has yet to be performed, anecdotal evidence suggests that oil monitors on most GM vehicles trip between 4,000 and 5,000 miles in typical driving conditions.

and

The Good News

Though it’s clear that automakers are gradually raising oil change intervals, there is some good news. A series of news-making incidents involving engine sludge formation has many consumers deciding if extended oil change intervals are such a good idea, and even those not involved in the automotive maintenance industry are chiming in.

My advise for getting the maximum number of trouble free miles from my vehicles is - Stay far away from quick lubes...

Oh my poor head! It's too confusing for me to keep track of all the car makers' service intervals.

About an AAA article: “Our technicians favor 3,000-mile/three-month intervals on the grounds that it’s cheap insurance against wear,” the article said. “It also serves as a safety measure: The mechanic who changes the oil can check your car’s overall condition at the same time, catching potential troubles before they grow.”

Next they'll be using puppies and babies in their propaganda.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
snip

Next they'll be using puppies and babies in their propaganda.

Does anybody else remember the Dalmation with the spots arranged in a Q in the Qlube ads? They also had one with geese flying in a Q.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
About an AAA article: “Our technicians favor 3,000-mile/three-month intervals on the grounds that it’s cheap insurance against wear,” the article said. “It also serves as a safety measure: The mechanic who changes the oil can check your car’s overall condition at the same time, catching potential troubles before they grow.”

I don't think the master mechanic spends his time doing oil changes. Most likely a low end grunt who can't put a oil pan bolt in straight, uses to much force in tightening it, leaves the oil filter too tight or too loose, and usually overfills or underfills the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

My advise for getting the maximum number of trouble free miles from my vehicles is - Stay far away from quick lubes...

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Sound advise. But I thought it was interesting enough since I was looking for information about different manufacturer opinions on "severe service" when I stumbled on it.

They are grasping..

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Sound advise. But I thought it was interesting enough since I was looking for information about different manufacturer opinions on "severe service" when I stumbled on it.

They are grasping..

I know. It really is a talking points memo on why people should ignore things like the GM OLM and keep using "traditional" OCI's isn't it. Thanks anyway, but I'll trust the OLM...
wink.gif

This would be like the fast food industry complaining about the mind-boggling variety and quality (but limited opening hours and higher prices) found in independent restaurants. And the shifty lubes have their own slant on "You want fries with that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back