keep factory fill, but can I change filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post. I have a 2 week old '04 CRV...and I have 1000K on it.

I'm one of those people who are going nuts with the idea of keeping the same oil in a new motor for 5000K. I'll try to keep the factory fill for that long, but maybe I'd feel better if I could at least change the filter. The thought of all those little new-engine-particles floating around...you know...I want to be sure that those bits are being filtered.

So how does one change the filter without changing the oil, and also, what sort of filter is an undisputed 'really good' filter???

Thanks
Kelton

quote:

Originally posted by Kelton:
This is my first post. I have a 2 week old '04 CRV...and I have 1000K on it.

I'm one of those people who are going nuts with the idea of keeping the same oil in a new motor for 5000K. I'll try to keep the factory fill for that long, but maybe I'd feel better if I could at least change the filter. The thought of all those little new-engine-particles floating around...you know...I want to be sure that those bits are being filtered.

So how does one change the filter without changing the oil, and also, what sort of filter is an undisputed 'really good' filter???

Thanks
Kelton

Simple, on most cars you can take off the filter & no more oil, other than the small amount in the filter itself is removed. In terms of filtering ability the best ones are I would say the Mobil 1 Filter followed closely by Amsoil and the SynLube filter which also use a 100% synthetic media.

I hope this helps.

AMSOIL filters aren't 100% synthetic media due to capacity I believe. That is supposedly one reason they say to change every 6 months - the paper will begin to break down with oil in it.

[ June 09, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: benjamming ]

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
AMSOIL filters aren't 100% synthetic media due to capacity I believe. That is supposedly one reason they say to change every 6 months - the paper will begin to break down with oil in it.

Oops, i meant the SynLube only is the other synthetic filter. Yes Amsoil is 50/50 sorry i didnt phrase it correctly.
freak2.gif

quote:

.and I have 1000K on it.

I would hope you mean 1000 miles not 1000,000 (1000K)
wink.gif
By the way welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy your stay
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ June 09, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

I wish some of the Honda OEM filters had been included in grease's flow test. The S2000 filter does fit this car, but that would require a tad more added oil.

I guess there's very little oil involved, but I'd be inclined to top up with some of Honda's 5w20 (I think that's right for the '04 CRV). It has pretty high moly and should be compatible. Check the VOA.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Man, I know we are all taking it for granted, but the internet is an amazing resource. I would have never believed that there would be an easily accessible forum devoted to car lubrication!!! This is just too cool!

Any other ideas or input regarding the changing of the filter are welcome.

"K" is short for "thousand"; thus 5000K miles would be 5,000,000 (five million) miles. Quite a long Oil Change Interval (OCI), no?

At any rate, there is a separate forum on this website devoted specifically to oil filters; check it out! If you're not sure which filter to use, you can't go wrong with the OEM Honda filter - the brand that came with the car when new.

Personally, with the hassle of changing the filter you may as well change the oil too, especially since your car has a small oil sump.

Personelly I would follow the Honda engineers oil & filter recomendations and try very hard to not out think them reguardless of how smart I think I am.

Personelly I would follow the Honda engineers oil & filter recomendations and try very hard to not out think them reguardless of how smart I think I am.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:

But remember that it's not just the engineers that say when to do maintenance. The marketing department has a huge hand in that little manual with its maintenance schedule.

Kelton, I changed oil and filter in my wifes Accord at 2K with no adverse effects. If I were you I'd probably wait and change both at 3K. I don;t think you will have any problems.

Welcome aboard, Kelton. And congratulations on the new ride. I would think that most break-in wear would have occurred by 1K miles, and that's when I changed the oil and filter on my 2002 Mopar. Your filter won't clog due to wear (metal) or other (dirt, soot, etc.) particulates within a few thousand miles, so there's not much point in changing it. And since the oil immediately enters the filter after leaving the pump, any particulates down to about 10-20 microns are filtered out before engine circulation. Stuff smaller than that will often not be removed since the filter media isn't designed to do so. So, if anything, I would be more concerned about changing the oil than the filter at this stage -- the oil probably has a higher amount of very small metal particulates in it than it will ever see in the future, and the filter's not gonna remove them. Personally, I'd change both oil and filter now, mainly for a warm & fuzzy feeling. If the automakers used special "break-in" oil or filters, keeping them in would make sense. But apparently the factories use the same stuff we buy retail, so there's probably nothing special about what Honda uses during break-in. Wix/Napa Gold, PureOne, and Baldwin all offer fine filtration (down to 11-16 microns), good construction quality, and reasonable price. Mobil 1's are good, but overpriced.

[ June 09, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

I'd change the oil and filter.

An S2000 oil filter and Redline oil of your favorite viscosity would work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back