Kawhi Leonard trade & NBA myths about Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myth 1.
Does it get cold in Toronto? Yep. Does it get mind numbing cold 24/7 as soon as you cross the border? Nope. Toronto is the 3rd coldest NBA city, not the first by orders of magnitude as some NBA pundits would have you believe. Its temperature is just slightly colder on average than some other Great Lakes cities. The one exception was the NBA All Star weekend here in 2016 when we experienced the coldest weather in 35 years - go figure. See below temp/latitude chart. As you can see Latitude is not the only determining factor on temperatures. Ocean currents, large bodies of water, among others, are a major influence on moderating winter temps. E.g., Nice, France is the same latitude as Toronto; Stockholm was warmer this past 3 winters than Chicago despite being 1200 miles farther north.
Myth 2.
Taxes: Toronto NBA players pay significantly more taxes than their American counterparts? Nope. In fact LA Laker players may actually pay more. See HERE for breakdown. Note, that article doesn’t even take into account the exchange rate and cost of living.

So what brought all this about (aboot, another myth unless you’re a Newfie)? The Kawhi Leonard trade and my amusement with all the misinformed talking heads. Most, not all, give us zero chance of retaining his services after this season. Maybe so but I think we have a reasonable shot. Toronto’s a world class city with lots to offer.

If Mr. Leonard finds it too cold he can buy/rent a condo on the waterfront with direct access to the PATH with its 30 Kilometers of underground shopping without having to set a foot outside. If he fully embraces the winter he’ll have frozen ponds to skate on, not unsafe slushy ones; when he shovels his driveway there’s a good chance it’ll be light and fluffy, not wet and heavy
laugh.gif

I vote Kawhi stays. What say you?

DeRozan was the only guy that wanted to stay in Toronto.

Kawhi will probably join LeBron after this one year is up.

Look at the great advice that Vince Carter got from his handlers. He could have been a larger figure after he redefined the dunk contest. Instead he opted to become a jump shooter. Yes he's had a long career, but IMO he watered down what he was.

Most of these athletes are positioned around the wrong people who don't provide the best advice. They'll look at the negatives Toronto has and use it to get their way.

I can't speak for Carter since I'm late to the game of being a basketball fan. Last 5 years.

To me, it's DeRozan’s ego that's bruised more than anything else. To paraphrase his reaction, “I would’ve liked more time to prepare”. Seriously! For what? To catch the last spaceship to Mars before the asteroid hits; to book an appointment with his psychologist? He was given more than a fair chance. Loyalty is to the team not just one individual. Grow up and act professional.

As far as Kawhi, I haven’t a clue. Does he want to be the big buck at the salt lick? Have playoff success? Play near his home? Or maximize his earning potential? The Raptors check a few of those boxes so we’ll see.

Last edited:
In some respects I agree as far as sports go. No doubt his exposure and endorsement opportunities will be greater there. It's the there, namely a major market, that comes into question. I would like to think Toronto would still have a leg up on a place like Utah regardless.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If I were a pro athlete not in the NHL I would not want to play here, Toronto and Canada as a whole is inferior to the US.

+1
34.gif

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
I can't speak for Carter since I'm late to the game of being a basketball fan. Last 5 years.

To me, it's DeRozan’s ego that's bruised more than anything else. To paraphrase his reaction, “I would’ve liked more time to prepare”. Seriously! For what? To catch the last spaceship to Mars before the asteroid hits; to book an appointment with his psychologist? He was given more than a fair chance. Loyalty is to the team not just one individual. Grow up and act professional.

As far as Kawhi, I haven’t a clue. Does he want to be the big buck at the salt lick? Have playoff success? Play near his home? Or maximize his earning potential? The Raptors check a few of those boxes so we’ll see.

Most of these guys aren't properly prepared on how to deal with change. Pro sports is a business plain and simple. Raptors had a poor result in the playoffs and the GM made two huge moves. Personally I think it will probably backfire. New head coach and replacment of DeRozan will disrupt the leadership on the court and locker room.

I wish DeRozan all the best. I'm sure he'll benefit from Popovich's leadership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
In some respects I agree as far as sports go. No doubt his exposure and endorsement opportunities will be greater there. It's the there, namely a major market, that comes into question. I would like to think Toronto would still have a leg up on a place like Utah regardless.

If someone gave me the choice to move to Utah complete with citizenship I would not hesitate for a second. Most Canadians see them as morally superior to Americans for some reason. I don't want to make things political but the privileges that come with American citizenship combined with lower taxes and free shipping are too tantalizing to resist.

Houses are too expensive here and taxes are too high, the GTA's best days are behind it.

Then I apologize to the people of Utah and affiliations thereof. That wasn’t my intention. My intention was to compare a large vs small market team. There are many places I would happily move to in the states - Boston is one. There’s not much difference between us.

Let’s not argue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If I were a pro athlete not in the NHL I would not want to play here, Toronto and Canada as a whole is inferior to the US.

LOL...

Originally Posted By: JC1

I wish DeRozan all the best. I'm sure he'll benefit from Popovich's leadership.

Ha! Don't count on that! I had so much respect for Pop through the years, but now he is a pathetic old man burning with anger who has gone off his rocker. He can talk sanely for a moment, then go off on an unhinged political rant.

Pop needs to retire, badly.

Didn't know that. Maybe he's showing solidarity with his players? Nonetheless, all the best to DeRozan and the Spurs. By all accounts Pop and the Spurs are the benchmark organization in the NBA.

Sorry to hear that. Then again you've had a long and successful run. Look on the bright side. I'm a Leaf fan. It's been 50 years and counting since we last won the cup. It can't possibly get that bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back